Visa Runner From Cambodia Refused at the Thai Border 2019

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Visa Runner From Cambodia Refused at the Thai Border 2019

Post by PIEMAN »

:stir: when i did my border runs i did them at the vietnam border near kampot,just walked over sat at the checkpoint in vietnam for a hr and walked back into cambodge,they did stamp my passport but i never moved from immagration,only problem was at the khmer side. Tea money barang :assasin:
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Keep in mind when doing visa runs from Cambodia to Thailand (if ur staying in Cambodia)
your ONLY allowed 2 FREE visa EXEMPT entry stamps on land borders/calendar year..
if u need do more, head to Vietnam or Laos
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Who would have ever thought that tourists visa's are meant to be for tourists ?.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:21 pm Keep in mind when doing visa runs from Cambodia to Thailand (if ur staying in Cambodia)
your ONLY allowed 2 FREE visa EXEMPT entry stamps on land borders/calendar year..
if u need do more, head to Vietnam or Laos
Not sure if that is technically correct. I fly to thailand usually 3 or 4 times a year and usually for just 1 week and I never have an issue. i have had problems at land borders at thailan and and vietnam, but usually on the khmer side. There are also extra options you could try like travelling for medical treatement. Easy to book appointments from here. I have a Khmer retirement visa so maybe that gets me an extra bit of slack
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Did you actually read and understand his post? You are talking about flying, he is talking about land crossings.

Johnny
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

The general theory on a forum dedicated to Thai visas is that the following airport immigration points will give you trouble: BKK, DMK, Krabi.

Land borders are generally ok with the sad exception of Poipet/Aran which is all important for Cambodia expats.

The officials target not only people trying to enter with a 30 days visa waiver but also holders of Tourist visas. That means a tourist visa from a Thai embassy/consulate does no longer guarantee entry. There are numerous instances documented that this is not an urban myth.

I have mentioned (on other threads) that I had my own bad experiences with Aran/Poipet. I was treated like a criminal. They really tried to find some cause to refuse me. I had all papers they were dreaming of, cash, only 1 land entry, 7 days in the country in 2018. To illustrate the attitude displayed by the officials, look up some posters here and their comments, imagine them in brand new black uniforms, swastika on the side, checking your passport. I know this remark will break one heart or another, not because it is wrong, because the person now realizes he will never get the ideal job (for him and and on this planet).

The old suspicion that refused visitors had something on their record held probably true until, say 2017. Now this is an entirely new game. They try to keep foreigners out that fit some undisclosed profile.

For me the situation is bad because I m used to fly out of BKK on a regular basis. With ever deteriorating conditions at the border this might become a gamble.

The good news is that apparently other land border checkpoints do not participate in the harassment. So for the Siem Reap crowd Osmach/Surin province might be a better option. No wait, very good and affordable van services to Prasat and Surin. For simple border runs Anlong Veng should be just fine. For onward travel it is a bit too remote.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

That means a tourist visa from a Thai embassy/consulate does no longer guarantee entry.
Never did guarantee entrance, its Always been up to the immigration officer and this applies to any country.

Look am not defending immigration as many of them love to put it to others BUT
laws are laws.
Thai immigration has the authority to ask for 20,000 baht and a ticket out and always has.
There just now choosing to enforce it for certain people that they feel, (for whatever reason) are abusing the system.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:56 am
That means a tourist visa from a Thai embassy/consulate does no longer guarantee entry.
Never did guarantee entrance, its Always been up to the immigration officer and this applies to any country.

Look am not defending immigration as many of them love to put it to others BUT
laws are laws.
Thai immigration has the authority to ask for 20,000 baht and a ticket out and always has.
There just now choosing to enforce it for certain people that they feel, (for whatever reason) are abusing the system.
I was wondering about the B20,000 since I don't normally travel with that much cash, but this site says that an ATM card is ok : https://tastythailand.com/how-to-maximi ... r-airport/
I couldn't find an official site which stated that you need to show money or an onward ticket though. Any links ?

I'm thinking of going for a short holiday (less than 15 days) crossing through Koh Kong. I haven't been to Thailand for years so that's not a problem, but won't have a return ticket. I have a valid multiple entry visa to Cambodia and a bank card. Will take enough baht for a couple of days. That should be sound enough for Thai immigration, shouldn't it ? Anything else ?
(And will not be dressed as a hippy. :OD: )
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

I believe that they state "proof of funds". Fortunately I've never had to find out exactly what that would mean as I generally don't travel with 20,000 baht.

I've been to Thailand many times over the past 15 or so years. Once I was asked if I was there to work (I wasn't). I truthfully answered the lady's questions and in a few minutes was on my way. A few times I've been asked about hotel reservations or what I'm going to be doing in Thailand. I've never found Thai immigration to be unreasonably or overly demanding.

I generally have a print out of my hotel reservations and have a few credit cards and a bank card with me.

I can recall a few times where either I've been in line behind someone or seen someone in another line as they were being heavily questioning and being asked to follow an officer for further questioning. And I have to say my memories are that I too would likely have been asking those individuals a few questions before allowing them in my country.

So I think that as long as your on the "up and up" you'll be ok. I also think that generally speaking people should realize that they days of living via visa runs to skirt immigration rules are over. Cambodia provides a retirement visa now. Thailand does also. They both are very generous in terms of tourist visa on arrival. If you want to live in the country then follow the rules and, while the bureaucracy can be mind numbing, get the proper paperwork done.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic