An Open Letter from Barang Doctor on Kampot Deaths

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

An Open Letter from Barang Doctor on Kampot Deaths

Post by prahocalypse now »

Dr. Philippe Long, who began his work with Cambodian people for MSF in a refugee camp in 1980, wrote this on the Kampot noticeboard:

What is happening in Kampot

On average, there are actually 2 foreigners dieing per month in Kampot.

This is a very high incidence for the small foreigner population here.

Many have high risk behaviors.

Old folks have unhealthy life, drinking a lot, eating junk food, never doing exercise and never doing a health check.

Many others are involved in risky activities, such as driving motorbike without wearing helmet and may be high on alcohol or drug.

Others going to late night party where various drugs are mixed with alcohol, this may include Ketamin and other stuffs

Particularly nasty is the new envelop powder, a concentrate of Red Bull equivalent, which is very strong.

It is common that one individual take several of those bombshell envelops in one night.

They are very toxic for the heart and can result in heart attack.

This is a real concern for the local community.

There are already report of many Khmer people, doing hard work, such as construction workers, who died from heart problem on working site as many drink up to 4 or more Red Bull cans or other brands per day.

On big construction site, several workers died each weeks from over doses.

In Cambodia there is not any warning written on the can as in other countries such as Thailand.

It is clearly mentioned there in Thai language that individual should not use more than 2 cans per day, that it is dangerous for pregnant women, children and people with heart problems.

I have report that young kids here have died after drinking those energy drink.

In Cambodia, we can see on local TV a lot of advertising for energy drink, which claim vertu's of Vitamin B2,.....6, etc. but without any warning regarding heart toxicity.

This is real brain washing.

Big lobbies control the media.

There is room to be worry regarding all those death in Kampot.

Dr. Philippe
Former Provincial Health Advisor
in Kampot and Prey Veng provinces
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Re: An Open Letter from Barang Doctor on Kampot Deaths

I think that the "new envelope powder" he is talking about is Extra Joss.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Yeah, that's what's killing all the 20-40 year old foreigners in Kampot and the rest of Cambodia. Red Bull.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I never drink energy drinks like Red Bull, just Sting with is more just sugar than anything, but I drink Extra Joss for the taste, I've never noticed any "buzz" from them like you'd get from even a coffee. Then I'm not drinking 5 at a time. I see construction and manual workers slugging energy drinks down a lot.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

In Kampot, the barangs mix Extra Joss with their vodka.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Fucking weirdos.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Extra Joss + vodka will turn you into a god damn sexual T-rex, just like me. #NotReally #PredatorMisquote

I know a few health & fitness/bodybuilder guys swear by the stuff along with other "pre-workout" drinks like C4, some people can't handle the stuff - they get the shakes like Khmers generally drinking coffee. My heart rate barely flinches after 8 espressos straight, so Extra Joss is just a decent refreshing drink to have before going to the gym & get whatever it does pumping. The contents (added vitamins, etc.) appear to be superior to most other pre-workout drinks that cost a bomb, but frankly for me it just has a good taste & it is cheap as chips.

An intake of 3000mg of Taurine daily has been shown in some studies to be entirely safe; Extra Joss contains 1000mg, so definitely when you're thinking of that third drink, might be time to switch to something else just to be safe.

https://www.extrajoss.co.nz/page/about/

What's the death rate from Extra Joss in Bali?
https://surfersdesk.wordpress.com/2010/ ... rink-ever/
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:41 pm Sting with is more just sugar than anything
A can of Sting contains about 204 mg taurine which is about 200 mg over the legal limit per can in the EU but yes there's sugar in it as well.
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

That is interesting. What is a god damn sexual T-rex? Thank you.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

That doctor fellow is one of the longest staying expats down there.

He also appears to be transforming into a curmudgeon.

Cranky and preachy.

The death rate down there for barang is not out of control, and is around the same as that for locals.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic