Retire in Thailand

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Retire in Thailand

Post by Duncan »

Looks like Thailand could have a winner with this.

https://newsletter.thaivisa.com/l/K7ZLJ ... rqXp6LhYCg
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Retire in Thailand

Post by Doc67 »

“I can guarantee it will be easy to apply and live here,” Surachate said. “[But] bad people will have a hard time.”

Proposed changes include abolishing 90-day reports and introducing 10-year visas for foreign retirees, Surachate said.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this is a major change to current rules. 10 Year Visas?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

wont happen.....
10 year visa? at what cost? until they tell you what u need to get it, nothing but hot air

90 day report is no big deal, did my on monday online, took all of 5 minutes..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Have never heard of anyone getting one..

Applicant must be aged 50 years or over (on the day of submitting application)
Applicants must be nationals and passport holders of eligible countries, namely; Japan, Australia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Canada and the United States of America.
Applicant must have a bank deposit of no less than 3 million baht (approximately $120,000 CAD) in Thailand or a bank deposit of no less than 1.8 million baht (approximately $72,000 CAD) and annual income of no less than 1.2 million baht (approximately $48,000 CAD). Such amount must be maintained in bank deposit in full for at least one year, and no less than 1.5 million baht (approximately $60,000 CAD) thereafter.
Applicant must have Thai health insurance for the duration of stay, with coverage for outpatient treatment of no less than 40,000 baht (approximately $1,600 CAD) and inpatient treatment of no less than 400,000 baht (approximately $16,000 CAD).
Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979)
Having no criminal record in Thailand and the country of the applicant’s nationality and residence.
Not having prohibitive diseases ( Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535

http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/visiting-t ... Q-ReLXxkNA
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sklmeera
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by sklmeera »

I was thinking of getting a retirement visa but it looks expensive and impossible for me . What then is the cheapest and best visa for someone to live in Thailand but who doesnt qualify for a work permit ? Is it the 3 month tourist ? Visa runs every 3 months . Or is there another visa that is more convenient ? I heard of guys using this for 2 years before they get their passport stamped with a warning of last visa. Does getting married to a Thai allow one to get a visa long term ?.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

expensive? 1,900 baht/year
BUT u do need be over 50 an have 800,000 baht in the bank for 2 -3 months before u apply for extension
OR
a pension of 65,000 baht sent each month into thailand

Tourist visa is good for 60 days and than u can get a 1 month extension for 1,900 baht
repeat 3-4 times and thats it for at least a few months

Being married to a thai 1,900 baht/year and ONLY 400,000 in the bank ( yes its true 2 can live cheaper than 1) :beer3: LOL
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:25 am wont happen.....
10 year visa? at what cost? until they tell you what u need to get it, nothing but hot air

90 day report is no big deal, did my on monday online, took all of 5 minutes..
Not sure why you think you know more about future Thai visa policy than the Head of Immigration and the guy in charge of government policy. I think it’s completely feasible that these changes which make common sense would be a distinct possibility. As you highlight the 90 day report is a complete pointless exercise which still requires manpower, so why wouldn’t scapping that not seem logical ? 10 year visa, why not steal a lead against the competition, it makes sense if the terms are right and don’t have to be of the “elite” variety. This guy does seem to be a bit more progressive and willing to see both sides of the equation and apply common sense even if it goes against the party line.

When are Thaksin and Yingluck coming back ? Another of your classic predictions.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Just calculate the loss of interest or other income from the money that will be stuck in a Thai bank.

Richard, pls correct me if I am wrong, but aren't those deposits needed for the visa, speak 800k baht, no-interest deposits?

Even if they pay some interest it could be way south of 2%.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Pizzalover wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:14 am Just calculate the loss of interest or other income from the money that will be stuck in a Thai bank.

Richard, pls correct me if I am wrong, but aren't those deposits needed for the visa, speak 800k baht, no-interest deposits?

Even if they pay some interest it could be way south of 2%.
yes needs be in the bank, ( 2 months for 1st extension, 3 months for each one after)
can be in any bank account, mine earns a huge .5% LOL ( but again thats higher than the $$ i have in citibank in the states which earns .25%)
u can also obtain a 1 year O-A visa, issued in ur own country and the money needs be in ur currency but still needs equal 800,000
or
have a pension = to 65,0000 baht/month
or
a combination of the two

CC.WHY you ask? well one reason is, the agents/immigration would lose a fortune in kick backs
am sure u know.... going price for a retirement extension to those that dont have enough $$ is around 22,000 baht/year,plenty of agents in Pattaya do this...
as i posted above there already is a 10 year visa BUT nobody has ever said anywhere they were able to obtain it.
...why not steal a lead against the competition...
Malaysia already offers a 10 year long stay visa ( called the second home program) and has for years and u don't even need be over 50!

also didn't u jump on me when i said elections wouldn't be held in feb>>> LOL

When will Mr T return? after elections ( yea right) :please:
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:44 pm BUT u do need be over 50 an have 800,000 baht in the bank for 2 -3 months before u apply for extension
OR
a pension of 65,000 baht sent each month into thailand
Whats required wrt visa type etc to qualify for opening a Thai Bank account 2-3 months prior to applying for the first retirement visa ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic