Retire in Thailand

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Retire in Thailand

Post by offroadscholar »

logos wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:28 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:06 pm xīn nián kuài lè

yep this is going to fuck lots of people
if ur rich,Thailand wants you, (get the 10 year Elite visa) if not....fuck off

66 pages in about 24 hours on thai visa>>>>
You call having $25k to your name when you're 50+ being rich?
The requirements still seem quite accommodating to me, especially when you consider one only needs a combination of half the 800k lump sum in the bank and half the monthly pension amount.
Compulsory health insurance probably a good idea too, from the Thai govs point of view.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

thats fine if u can show a transfer of 33,333 baht/month, every month, into ur thai account and u need keep 400,000 in ur account year round

I figure by them requiring u keep 400,000 year round is to take care of any medical issues if u dont have insurance.

There many many Farangs living upcountry that i am sure live month to month on under 40,000 baht/month an dont have a pot to piss in, or 400,000 baht stashed in the bank
plus with the strong baht....
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Over the past ten years the changing regulations and their application by the banks have one thing in common. Generate income for the Thai gov. Correct me if I m wrong, but I think that those compulsory deposits are interest free. I distinctly recall ads in a Thai bank stating this. This means that the Thai government just secured a nice chunk of money to cover its debt. I dont know what the inflation rate is in Thailand. If it is around 4%, people need to add an additional 200-300 USD visa cost to their calculations.

I doubt that the mandatory deposit has anything to do with healthcare concerns. It is pure and simple government money grabbing. The idea that the Thai government has any interest in the well-fare of foreign residents is pretty original. For that sort of concern one needs to turn to Europe.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:19 pm There many many Farangs living upcountry that i am sure live month to month on under 40,000 baht/month an dont have a pot to piss in, or 400,000 baht stashed in the bank
plus with the strong baht....
Yeah, its an unfortunate situation for them. Most just living the quiet life, not causing any trouble.
However, that sort of budget just isn't realistic if anything goes wrong.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Correct me if I m wrong, but I think that those compulsory deposits are interest free
ur wrong, :beer3:
i make 1.2% on my savings account with SCB and have been using it for immigration for a long time
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

With this change they have effectively increased the lump sum route to something between 900k to 1m without actually changing the headline figure. A very sneaky move.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

My friend went down to renew his 1 year non-o visa based on retirement, commonly referred to as "retirement" visa based on the 800k lump sum method. I was perhaps naively expecting them to check compliance with the new rule of keeping the balance above 800k for 90 days and 400k for the full year to be checked the following year, however he was told to report with his bank book in 90 days time. Not too inconvenient for those of that live near an immigration office but I could imagine a further pain in the arse for those further afield. This was Jomtien/Pattaya immigration so I can't speak for whether other areas are the same.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:23 am My friend went down to renew his 1 year non-o visa based on retirement, commonly referred to as "retirement" visa based on the 800k lump sum method. I was perhaps naively expecting them to check compliance with the new rule of keeping the balance above 800k for 90 days and 400k for the full year to be checked the following year, however he was told to report with his bank book in 90 days time. Not too inconvenient for those of that live near an immigration office but I could imagine a further pain in the arse for those further afield. This was Jomtien/Pattaya immigration so I can't speak for whether other areas are the same.

wow, this is the 1st report I have heard that says he was "randomly " selected to have his $$ verified after 90 days.
so drop below, he loses the extension.
How long has he been on extensions?
So was it ONLY a 90 day extension or the full year?
Did he have the 800,000 inn 2 or 3 months before he applied?
Did they tell him, give him a piece of paper or stamp his passport that he had to return?

Sad news......

Means he cant be out of the country when that 90 day hits, cant do online or mail in 90 day report.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:48 am
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:23 am My friend went down to renew his 1 year non-o visa based on retirement, commonly referred to as "retirement" visa based on the 800k lump sum method. I was perhaps naively expecting them to check compliance with the new rule of keeping the balance above 800k for 90 days and 400k for the full year to be checked the following year, however he was told to report with his bank book in 90 days time. Not too inconvenient for those of that live near an immigration office but I could imagine a further pain in the arse for those further afield. This was Jomtien/Pattaya immigration so I can't speak for whether other areas are the same.

wow, this is the 1st report I have heard that says he was "randomly " selected to have his $$ verified after 90 days.
so drop below, he loses the extension.
How long has he been on extensions?
So was it ONLY a 90 day extension or the full year?
Did he have the 800,000 inn 2 or 3 months before he applied?
Did they tell him, give him a piece of paper or stamp his passport that he had to return?

Sad news......

Means he cant be out of the country when that 90 day hits, cant do online or mail in 90 day report.
(!) He wasn't " randomly " selected, the report back in 90 days instruction form is being handed out to all renewals with the summary of the new rules in Jomtien.
(2) "So drop below, he loses the extension" - I can't confirm that as consequences of doing that were not mentioned or stated on the form.
(3) "How long has he been on extensions " - Many years as in at least over a decade.
(4) "So was it ONLY a 90 day extension or the full year". - He was applying for the full year and will pick up his passport today, I will confirm.
(5) "Did he have the 800k in 2 or 3 months before he applied" - He keeps above the 800k balance all year.
(6) "Did they tell him, give him a piece of paper or stamp his passport that he had to return" - see point 1 and point 4
(7) "Means he can't be out of the country when that 90 day hits" - He actually will be funnily enough and he's going to ask what he's supposed to do when he picks up passport today. I'll confirm what he's told.

" Sad news " - for me it's only sad news if they don't ensure that agents and immigration officials colluding to further gain by providing corrupt financial statements for those not abiding by the rules are eradicated. I'm sure we'll find that out in a short space of time. I don't mind another visit to the "zoo" after 90 days :)).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic