Retire in Thailand

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Retire in Thailand

Post by phuketrichard »

step one;
visit ANY thai embassy, apply for a single entry NON O visa for reason of being ;
1.over 50
2.married
3.having a dependent thai child in Thailand

once ur back in Thailand visit banks and apply for account, take ur passport, notification of residency, ( issued at immigration) & thai baht....some will give ya one, some will charge u for insurance ( dont ask me why as i dont understand) some wont, it varies bank to bank
I use bangkok Bank and Siam commercial bank
My Cambodian GF got an account at Kasikorn with only a tourist visa
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:57 am step one;
visit ANY thai embassy, apply for a single entry NON O visa for reason of being ;
1.over 50
2.married
3.having a dependent thai child in Thailand

once ur back in Thailand visit banks and apply for account, take ur passport, notification of residency, ( issued at immigration) & thai baht....some will give ya one, some will charge u for insurance ( dont ask me why as i dont understand) some wont, it varies bank to bank
I use bangkok Bank and Siam commercial bank
My Cambodian GF got an account at Kasikorn with only a tourist visa
Good info. The whole process sounds fairly painless.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

I asked/pointed out the interest aspect because this is usually overlooked. The real cost of a visa is only clear when you include that cost.

5% is excellent for Thai bank and for the 800K mandatory deposit. I had seen interests rate of 0% for expat accounts.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I wish 5%.
i wrote.5%
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

7% in Cambodia.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

CONFIRMED: Foreigners now need to keep 800k in Thai bank for three months AFTER retirement extension is granted
01/02/2019
Thai immigration have announced a major change regarding the financial requirements needed when applying for an extension of stay based on retirement, often referred to as a retirement visa.

Confirmed in police order No. 35/2561 obtained by Thaivisa, foreigners who apply for a retirement extension using the 800k baht in the bank or the combination of income method now need to keep 800k baht in the bank for three months after the extension and 400k baht in the bank after that.

Foreigners must still be able to show the 800k baht in a Thai bank two months before the application for the retirement extension.

The requirements for a retirement extension according to the new police order are as follows:

(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (Non-Im)

(2) Must be 50 years of age or over

(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than THB 65,000 or;

(4) At least 2 months prior to filing date, and at least 3 months after being granted permission, the alien must have fund deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than THB 800,000. The alien can withdraw the fund 3 months after being granted permission and the remaining balance must be no less than THB 400,00 or;

(5) Must have and annual earning and fund deposited with a commercial bank in Thailand totalling of no less than THB 800,000 until the filing date. The said fund must remain in the account prior to and after the permission is granted and the alien can make a withdrawal under the same conditions as stated in (4).

The new requirements to keep 400k baht in the bank for three months after the retirement visa is granted is effective from 1st March 2019.

The new requirements are likely the result of immigration officials trying to put an end to the practice of visa agents falsifying bank statements for foreigners who do not have enough money to meet the financial requirements needed for a retirement extension.
http://www.samuitimes.com/confirmed-for ... s-granted/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:09 am CONFIRMED: Foreigners now need to keep 800k in Thai bank for three months AFTER retirement extension is granted
01/02/2019
Thai immigration have announced a major change regarding the financial requirements needed when applying for an extension of stay based on retirement, often referred to as a retirement visa.

Confirmed in police order No. 35/2561 obtained by Thaivisa, foreigners who apply for a retirement extension using the 800k baht in the bank or the combination of income method now need to keep 800k baht in the bank for three months after the extension and 400k baht in the bank after that.

Foreigners must still be able to show the 800k baht in a Thai bank two months before the application for the retirement extension.

The requirements for a retirement extension according to the new police order are as follows:

(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (Non-Im)

(2) Must be 50 years of age or over

(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than THB 65,000 or;

(4) At least 2 months prior to filing date, and at least 3 months after being granted permission, the alien must have fund deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than THB 800,000. The alien can withdraw the fund 3 months after being granted permission and the remaining balance must be no less than THB 400,00 or;

(5) Must have and annual earning and fund deposited with a commercial bank in Thailand totalling of no less than THB 800,000 until the filing date. The said fund must remain in the account prior to and after the permission is granted and the alien can make a withdrawal under the same conditions as stated in (4).

The new requirements to keep 400k baht in the bank for three months after the retirement visa is granted is effective from 1st March 2019.

The new requirements are likely the result of immigration officials trying to put an end to the practice of visa agents falsifying bank statements for foreigners who do not have enough money to meet the financial requirements needed for a retirement extension.
http://www.samuitimes.com/confirmed-for ... s-granted/
lol thai rak alien so mutt :plus1:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

xīn nián kuài lè

yep this is going to fuck lots of people
if ur rich,Thailand wants you, (get the 10 year Elite visa) if not....fuck off

66 pages in about 24 hours on thai visa>>>>
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:06 pm xīn nián kuài lè

You call having $25k to your name when you're 50+ being rich?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

logos wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:28 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:06 pm xīn nián kuài lè

You call having $25k to your name when you're 50+ being rich?
Call it what u want, but leaving $25,000 in a thai bank is beyond the means of many, plus having money to live on while the 25 grand is in the bank an ur not working
How many of you all in Camboida have enough $$ to just park 25 grand in the bank at .75% interest?
I venture to guess very few, surely no teachers earning $800-1,200/month :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic