Language Chatter

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: Language Chatter

Post by siliconlife »

Jacobincambodia wrote:Ok you language wizards. Bestow your wisdom upon me.

Two words:

ប្រលេក - Google translate says, briefly. My Trusted khmer dictionary says nothing, meaning there is no listing. I trust Google translate as much as a Khmer water faucet.

កម្លាំងខ្សោយ I know កម្លាំង means energy. I know ខ្សោយ means weak. I can come up with a fairly educated conclusion but wanted to check and see first. Google translate says, faint which I guess is a possible answer.
Hi Jacob,

Not too sure about the first one, my fiancee doesn't know. My neighbour said it meant "to enter together". But she seemed unsure too. This one requires further investigation.

The second, gom-leung k'saoee, simply means lack of strength, I believe (or literally "weak power"). កម្លាំង is more similar to "power" than "energy" - for example, it can be used to speak about political or physical power, but not electrical power.

Matt
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

siliconlife wrote:
Jacobincambodia wrote:Ok you language wizards. Bestow your wisdom upon me.

Two words:

ប្រលេក - Google translate says, briefly. My Trusted khmer dictionary says nothing, meaning there is no listing. I trust Google translate as much as a Khmer water faucet.

កម្លាំងខ្សោយ I know កម្លាំង means energy. I know ខ្សោយ means weak. I can come up with a fairly educated conclusion but wanted to check and see first. Google translate says, faint which I guess is a possible answer.
Hi Jacob,

Not too sure about the first one, my fiancee doesn't know. My neighbour said it meant "to enter together". But she seemed unsure too. This one requires further investigation.

The second, gom-leung k'saoee, simply means lack of strength, I believe (or literally "weak power"). កម្លាំង is more similar to "power" than "energy" - for example, it can be used to speak about political or physical power, but not electrical power.

Matt
Appreciate it! That makes sense. Thanks for responding.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

Jacob, I think for the first word, you meant "krolek - ក្រលេក"
It is mostly used in combination with the words "meul - មើល" and "kheunh - ឃើញ" and it usually means to glance at, to have a brief look.

Also, in my Lemon Khmer Dictionary it is spelled as ក្រឡេក, and Google Translate gives "look" as a translation.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Joon wrote:Jacob, I think for the first word, you meant "krolek - ក្រលេក"
It is mostly used in combination with the words "meul - មើល" and "kheunh - ឃើញ" and it usually means to glance at, to have a brief look.

Also, in my Lemon Khmer Dictionary it is spelled as ក្រឡេក, and Google Translate gives "look" as a translation.
Great. Thanks for your response! I'm sure I'll have more questions soon. I'm beginning to read more news articles. They aren't easy!
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

You're welcome! Keep asking :) I'm learning and deepening my own understanding at the same time.
Good luck with the news reading :thumb:
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Trip to Kep and Bokor Mountain complete with photos in Khmer!!

Corrections welcome :)

http://strictlycambodian.com/blog/trip-to-kep-and-bokor
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Technically this is not about Khmer language or culture, but I thought the language buffs (and racists) might enjoy a bit of cross-language humour. I present "How to Talk Australians - Episode 1: G'day Knackers"

Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

That's gold!
Using Tapatalk
sritso
Tourist
New Zealand

Post by sritso »

After Reading this post i have interested in reading language chatter.I visit this Twitter link,it's very interesting.Thanks a lot :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic