Amazon.com Inc (AMZN) Upsets Cambodians by Selling Angkor Wat Toilet Seat Covers & Floor Mats

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Amazon.com Inc (AMZN) Upsets Cambodians by Selling Angkor Wat Toilet Seat Covers & Floor Mats

Post by pczz »

I wonder if trump would be a good picture to use. or maybe the UK Royal Family or Bezos and his Mrs, his and hers set. The Shite house set perhaps?
Somehow this just seems totlaly unacceptable to me. Real trailer trash souvenirs
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Amazon.com Inc (AMZN) Upsets Cambodians by Selling Angkor Wat Toilet Seat Covers & Floor Mats

Post by Cam Nivag »

pczz wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:42 am I wonder if trump would be a good picture to use. or maybe the UK Royal Family or Bezos and his Mrs, his and hers set. The Shite house set perhaps?
Somehow this just seems totlaly unacceptable to me. Real trailer trash souvenirs
Amazon already sells Trump toilet paper.

Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

pczz wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:42 am I wonder if trump would be a good picture to use. or maybe the UK Royal Family or Bezos and his Mrs, his and hers set. The Shite house set perhaps?
Why is it unacceptable to you? Please explain. I'm having issues understanding why the Khmer are getting so butt hurt about this. It's just a toilet cover. it's not like people are gonna shit on it.

I know the Khmer don't have much to be proud of. I mean, let's face it, they don't have anything to show besides Angkor Wat. So instead of embracing the fact that people that have never visited Cambodia may consider purchasing something that represents Cambodia, why do they get pissed off?

The last time the Khmer had sandy vaginas was when some Thai company was selling drawers with Angkor Wat on them. Should the French get upset because some US company sells underwear with the Statue of Liberty on it? Should Donny sue the company that makes unflattering inflatables with his face on it? No. But Trump will sue.

And yes, it's an old people/ trailer trash thing. So?
Not really souvenirs since the items are sold on Amazon.

Khmer are chill people but they gotta get over themselves. Too much whining and bitching for the wrong reasons.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Queef wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:05 am
The last time the Khmer had sandy vaginas was when some Thai company was selling drawers with Angkor Wat on them.
Amazon sells those too.

Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I'm gonna side with pczz and khmers on this one.

Angkor Wat is a national symbol of religious and cultural significance to khmers. And that's reflected in it being on their national flag. To my mind it harks back to the height of the khmer empire and a symbol of national pride.

To use it on toilet accessories I think is distasteful, unnecessary and shows a certain ignorance of khmer heritage and what it means to them. It is more than just a famous tourist site and I think this is what these distributors/Amazon are missing.

It is probably akin to having the British royal family or the Thai king on there. I don't think Trump or the Statue of Liberty are fair comparisons. And what some might see as just a toilet cover and mat that won't be shat on, I see this
Spoiler:
But anyways each to their own.

Saying khmers don't have a lot else to be proud of I think is selling them short. They do have their much loved royal family and check this out:

Given what they've been through in more recent times with the KR where half their population got wiped out, can't we cut them some slack for being sensitive on this?

My 2 cents worth.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Cam Nivag wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:46 pm But it's OK to have beer named Angkor with an image of Angkor Wat on the can?
But Angkor beer is Cambodian. Ask anyone in Sihanoukville. :beer2: I don't know if the company is actually Cambodian, but we have the beer factory right here. The (beer) money is going to Cambodians. :wink:

On the other hand, the bathroom sets with Angkor Wat printed on them sold by Amazon are not Cambodian. So maybe that is the main problem concerning the complaint official government and Apsara authority- perceived copyright infringement (real or not) - foreigners are making money from Cambodia's most revered symbol and none of that money is going to the appropriate authorities.

Also, there is nothing easier than stirring up cultural sensibilities on social media and fomenting national pride with topics like this, and ordinary Khmers are understandably upset about associating a cultural and religious symbol like Angkor Wat with toilets.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:58 pm I'm gonna side with pczz and khmers on this one.

Angkor Wat is a national symbol of religious and cultural significance to khmers. And that's reflected in it being on their national flag. To my mind it harks back to the height of the khmer empire and a symbol of national pride.

To use it on toilet accessories I think is distasteful, unnecessary and shows a certain ignorance of khmer heritage and what it means to them. It is more than just a famous tourist site and I think this is what these distributors/Amazon are missing.

It is probably akin to having the British royal family or the Thai king on there. I don't think Trump or the Statue of Liberty are fair comparisons. And what some might see as just a toilet cover and mat that won't be shat on, I see this
Spoiler:

Saying khmers don't have a lot else to be proud of I think is selling them short. They do have their much loved royal family and check this out:

Given what they've been through in more recent times with the KR where half their population got wiped out, can't we cut them some slack for being sensitive on this?

My 2 cents worth.
I hear you, even if it doesn't really resonate with me.
Angkor Wat is a national symbol of religious and cultural significance to khmers.

I found some underwear with Notre Dame printed on them the last time I visited Paris (Notre Dame is also a national symbol of religious and cultural significance since they require people to wear a proper attire to be allowed in). Never heard anyone complaining about that. People have bigger fish to fry.
Yea... Using any kind of toilet covers is distasteful and unnecessary. The target consumers for this product will most likely be old people and trailer trash. What do you expect?
Angkor Wat seems to be a holy site only when it's convenient! the place is covered with trash and filled with beggars!
Just like the people that jacked up the ticket prices for Angkor Wat, Amazon is making money. I don't think they're missing the point. They actually got it right.
It is probably akin to having the British royal family or the Thai king on there. I don't think Trump or the Statue of Liberty are fair comparisons.
Trump is not fair game. Agreed. The Statue of Liberty might not be a religious site, but it is a lot more meaningful than Angkor Wat. It represents a lot more than just NYC. There's a lot of history behind that statue... I also just found out that Amazon sells Statue of Liberty themed toilet covers, brushes, and paper. I also found Obama, KISS, and pretty much anything you can think of. See. No big deal.
Saying khmers don't have a lot else to be proud of I think is selling them short. They do have their much loved royal family and check this out
Nice vid. Beautiful women. Selling them short? mh. So what else can they bring to the table besides Apsara dancers, Angkor Wat, and their royal family?
How in the world are the KR related to people getting their little feelings hurt over some toilet seat covers??!! Is the KR thing really the default excuse for everything?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Queef wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:21 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:58 pm I'm gonna side with pczz and khmers on this one.

Spoiler:

My 2 cents worth.
Angkor Wat is a national symbol of religious and cultural significance to khmers.

I found some underwear with Notre Dame printed on them the last time I visited Paris (Notre Dame is also a national symbol of religious and cultural significance since they require people to wear a proper attire to be allowed in). Never heard anyone complaining about that. People have bigger fish to fry.
Yea... Using any kind of toilet covers is distasteful and unnecessary. The target consumers for this product will most likely be old people and trailer trash. What do you expect?
Angkor Wat seems to be a holy site only when it's convenient! the place is covered with trash and filled with beggars!
Just like the people that jacked up the ticket prices for Angkor Wat, Amazon is making money. I don't think they're missing the point. They actually got it right.
It is probably akin to having the British royal family or the Thai king on there. I don't think Trump or the Statue of Liberty are fair comparisons.
Trump is not fair game. Agreed. The Statue of Liberty might not be a religious site, but it is a lot more meaningful than Angkor Wat. It represents a lot more than just NYC. There's a lot of history behind that statue... I also just found out that Amazon sells Statue of Liberty themed toilet covers, brushes, and paper. I also found Obama, KISS, and pretty much anything you can think of. See. No big deal.
Saying khmers don't have a lot else to be proud of I think is selling them short. They do have their much loved royal family and check this out
Nice vid. Beautiful women. Selling them short? mh. So what else can they bring to the table besides Apsara dancers, Angkor Wat, and their royal family?
How in the world are the KR related to people getting their little feelings hurt over some toilet seat covers??!! Is the KR thing really the default excuse for everything?
Fair enough. I think this issue is probably a moot point for many however I nevertheless wanted to give another point of view.

I think Notre Dame is not in the same league ie it's not on the french flag.

Angkor Wat vs Statue of liberty...yeah both significant however the former is one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world and much bigger scale.

I mentioned the KR coz it set this country back I dunno how many decades and they are still trying to catch up to a lot of their neighbors in terms of achievements. Let's not forget they took everything back to year 0 and killed off all their intellectuals..and that was only 40 years ago. So when you say what else can they bring to the table.........

You're right, the whole thing is not a big deal in the scheme of things but nevertheless I believe it was right of the Cambodian ambassador to voice the government's displeasure on this issue.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on a lot of this. :beer3:
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:17 pm
I mentioned the KR coz it set this country back I dunno how many decades and they are still trying to catch up to a lot of their neighbors in terms of achievements. Let's not forget they took everything back to year 0 and killed off all their intellectuals..and that was only 40 years ago.
You said earlier that the Khmer Rouge killed half the population and that's untrue it was a quarter of the population or less.

Have you ever been to Rwanda? A good percentage of that country was butchered 25 years ago and now it's one of the most advance and civlized and prosperous countries in Africa. They have well maintained roads and crosswalks and drivers will stop for you if you're walking in one.

"Oh, poor Cambodia, take pity on it, it's still recovering from the Khmer Rouge" is a cop out at this point, 40-45 years on.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:27 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:17 pm
I mentioned the KR coz it set this country back I dunno how many decades and they are still trying to catch up to a lot of their neighbors in terms of achievements. Let's not forget they took everything back to year 0 and killed off all their intellectuals..and that was only 40 years ago.
You said earlier that the Khmer Rouge killed half the population and that's untrue it was a quarter of the population or less.

Have you ever been to Rwanda? A good percentage of that country was butchered 25 years ago and now it's one of the most advance and civlized and prosperous countries in Africa. They have well maintained roads and crosswalks and drivers will stop for you if you're walking in one.

"Oh, poor Cambodia, take pity on it, it's still recovering from the Khmer Rouge" is a cop out at this point, 40-45 years on.
As I said before, I believe Angkor Wat is a source of great national pride to Khmers and a symbol of the country's identity bearing in mind their traumatic recent past. Using that symbol in the manner that Amazon has done imo denigrates the country. You and others don't share that view..that's fine. We're all entitled to share our views.

No, I don't think it's a cop out..again, my view. Fine if you disagree.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic