Tuk tuk racism

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Tuk tuk racism

Post by timmydownawell »

Apparently 'Indian' tuk tuks "don’t care about car lanes or motorbike lanes", as if anyone else does. :facepalm:

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... -take-flak
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Tuk tuk racism

Post by Cam Nivag »

Yeah, I read that too and was wondering if there was some racist or anti-foreigner angle to it. That the three wheeled tuk tuks are "not Khmer" even if driven by Khmers. I can't imagine they are really driven any worse than normal tuk tuks.

Also, just a couple of days ago, before I saw that article, I got a grab tuk tuk and thought it was possible from the accent are arm hair and pointy nose of the driver that he might be Indian. Has anyone encountered any non-Cambodian tuk tuk drivers here?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Cam Nivag wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:57 pm Has anyone encountered any non-Cambodian tuk tuk drivers here?

PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Cam Nivag wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:57 pm Has anyone encountered any non-Cambodian tuk tuk drivers here?
There was an old white dude, who wore a wife beater and a had a long white beard, used to be parked up on the corner of MTT & 63, yelling out to passers-by offering tuk-tuk services, haven't seen him for a while though.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's a valid criticism, I've heard quite a few people say it. There's often a narrow lane big enough for motorbikes at the side of the streets. The Indian tuk tuks are narrower than cars and often drive down that lane but eventually get stuck and jam up the lane. So there will be a long empty lane ahead of them and dozens of bikes jammed up behind. Idiots on motorbikes carrying wide loads often do the same.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

A Passap driver that I hailed one time had what I thought was an Indian accent. I didn't ask him if he was though. He's the only tuk tuk driver that wouldn't let me smoke in his tuk tuk.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:16 pm
There was an old white dude, who wore a wife beater and a had a long white beard, used to be parked up on the corner of MTT & 63, yelling out to passers-by offering tuk-tuk services, haven't seen him for a while though.
Who isn't me, before anyone asks. We don't (and have never) offer public rides, and our tour days are long behind us.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Yes. I was rather surprised to find an Indian fella driving an 'indian' tuk-tuk (CNG in bangladesh). His driving style was no less entertaining than that seen in India/Bangladesh/Cambodia. He blended right in. His english was pretty sharp, too. This was in the street15/130 area
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

The Indian tuktuk accelerates faster enabling them to perform superior kamikaze moves in traffic. Good article!

Haven't had an actual Indian Indian tuktuk driver but we have multiple Chinese drivers in my area.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

StroppyChops wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:08 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:16 pm
Who isn't me, before anyone asks. We don't (and have never) offer public rides, and our tour days are long behind us.
Yea, definitely was not Stroppy Chops.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic