Road Accident Statistics 2019/2020

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Re: Road Accident Statistics 2019

Post by Captain Bonez »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:20 pmMr Kheng instructed all relevant officials to find the reason for the increases, noting that they should reduce accident rates using other measures such as banning alcohol sales at night
They ever think about getting the road traffic cops to actually do their jobs instead of just jumping out in front of little girls to extort some money out of them?

You can literally drive through a red light here with the cops watching and they won't do shit. No repercussions, so no one gives a fuck.
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Road Accident Statistics 2019/2020

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

WEAR A HELMET !
Cambodia News,(Phnom Penh): According to the report from the National Police, three people died, six were severely injured, and another five were hospitalized, due to road accidents which all occurred in one day, 16 February this year.
The 3 deceased and 3 of the severely wounded were motorcyclists who were not wearing helmets.
The source said that the main causes of the accidents were speeding, not looking when turning, and drunk driving.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

We were friends with some traffic police in SNV.

They told us to buy a car rather than a bike, because you are much safer in a car when you’re driving drunk.

True story.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:WEAR A HELMET !
Cambodia News,(Phnom Penh): According to the report from the National Police, three people died, six were severely injured, and another five were hospitalized, due to road accidents which all occurred in one day, 16 February this year.
The 3 deceased and 3 of the severely wounded were motorcyclists who were not wearing helmets.
The source said that the main causes of the accidents were speeding, not looking when turning, and drunk driving.
What's the Cambodian Corona death toll at again?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Barang chgout wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:02 pm Unfortunately the ozzies kiwis and Brits refer to it as a footpath.
Pavement. :hattip:

It is interesting that Sar Kheng (police) is the one bitching about lack of action, when Sun Chanthol (transport) has put in place the first mechanisms to allow police to retrospectively punish traffic offenders.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Lord Duncan,

Monivong at a light like 217 or similar is best handled on foot in traffic with a hand mantle onto the median and an up, over spin into oncoming lane, esp with cars piled and stopped at said red light traffic. This is the freedom, this is Kampuchea. Its such a sporting walkable place its a bit like parkour at times as a pedestrian.

cheers
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Most of the helmets here would not even pass as fit for use for bicyles in the west. You really think a $10 bit of platic is gonna save your head? Especially when 4 people in the family share the same one that doesnt fit?
Biggest cause of deth in road accidents here is the time it takes to get to competent(?) medical aid . Noone moves for ambilances, many people cannot afford to go to the doctor anyway.
I asked a khmer why he didnt wear a helmet. Answer ; if i wear a helmet my other injuries will cost my family a lot. better i die quick than be disabled and a burden'
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

With all these accidents happening, there's gunna be a hole lota punching going on.

Quote ]

Prime Minister HE said he supported amendments that would see traffic lawbreakers receive harsher penalties in an effort to reduce accidents.

The prime minister said this when he attended an annual meeting to review work meetings and set goals for action plan 2020 at the Ministry of Interior on Thursday.

HE said: “I request that various measures are paid attention to. Officials have to adhere to the law and enforce traffic measures. We also need to amend the law to make a change.

“Drivers who drive dangerously will have a hole punched in their licenses as well as a 400,000 riel [$ 100] fine. When police see the hole, they will know that the driver had previously broken the law.
Read more »
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

pczz wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:11 am Most of the helmets here would not even pass as fit for use for bicyles in the west. You really think a $10 bit of platic is gonna save your head? Especially when 4 people in the family share the same one that doesnt fit?
Biggest cause of deth in road accidents here is the time it takes to get to competent(?) medical aid . Noone moves for ambilances, many people cannot afford to go to the doctor anyway.
I asked a khmer why he didnt wear a helmet. Answer ; if i wear a helmet my other injuries will cost my family a lot. better i die quick than be disabled and a burden'
This old expat line again...

Yeah, I really do think a $10 bit of plastic HAS ALREADY SAVED MY HEAD THREE TIMES. And I'm not disabled. It's all very heroic to go dying for your family, (supposedly) like the one random guy you asked, but I'll take the chance, and hopefully sacrifice my life when it's definitely needed.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

siliconlife wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:41 pm
pczz wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:11 am Most of the helmets here would not even pass as fit for use for bicyles in the west. You really think a $10 bit of platic is gonna save your head? Especially when 4 people in the family share the same one that doesnt fit?
This old expat line again...

Yeah, I really do think a $10 bit of plastic HAS ALREADY SAVED MY HEAD THREE TIMES. And I'm not disabled. It's all very heroic to go dying for your family, (supposedly) like the one random guy you asked, but I'll take the chance, and hopefully sacrifice my life when it's definitely needed.
Maybe you are a little accident prone?. I have seen 2 people injured, one by the helmet breaking in 2 and another with the obviously oversized helmet falling off. Both low speed accidents. Any helmet will help if it stays on in a low speed shunt, but it will not necessarily be of much uses once you are over 20km hour. Rather depedns on the circumstances of the accident. At higher speed the design and padding are far more important than the shell, and 1 cm of polystyrene is pretty much useless. BTW I always wear a helmet, but I am under no illusion as to how ineefective it would be on ope roads
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic