Road Accident Statistics 2019/2020

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Road Accident Statistics 2019

Post by newkidontheblock »

Sorry for the nitpicking. Helping out with the ACE homework. Topic was sports. Shuttlecocks, pitches (for football), etc. lots of unfamiliar words for familiar ideas that I needed to brush up on.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Traffic Accidents Increase in 2019, According to Police Statistics

According to the traffic police report from January 1-March 31, in the first 3 months of 2019 there were 1076 traffic accidents causing 513 deaths and 1592 injuries: 91 deaths in Phnom Penh, 39 in Kompong Speu province and 39 in Preah Sihanouk province. This is a net increase from last year.

On average, 6 people died on the roads every day and 18 people were injured. Speeding was a factor in 41 percent of cases, lack of respect 19 percent, right of way 13 percent, turning 9, drunk 4 percent, 3 percent faulty vehicles and 2 percent sleepy drivers.

Compared with the first quarter of 2018, the number of accidents has increased by 257, a 31% increase, the 33 deaths show a 7% increase and 358 injuries is equivalent to a 29% increase.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Increase in Road Deaths in 2019
16 October 2019
A National Police report said there were 10 traffic accidents throughout the country on Wednesday alone, killing at least six people and injuring 17, including five women.

At least 66 people have been killed and 279 injured in 146 road accidents nationwide so far this month, the report said, citing speeding as the main cause.

Over the same period last month, 54 people were killed and 359 injured.

In the third quarter of this year, National Police statistics showed that road traffic deaths had increased by more than a hundred on the same period last year, with injuries also up as the number of accidents rose by almost 250.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... -motorbike
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Singsling
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Singsling »

More in a quarter then in a year in Australia
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

I must admit i have drove in many countries but cambodia wins hands down for the most dangerous. People in big motors dont give a damn about bikes and speeding,jumping lights,undertaking,pulling outis rife.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Bad news: 1,665 people have been killed, and 5,212 injured, on the Cambodian roads this year according to the latest statistics.

November 25, 2019
Rise in traffic accidents despite safety efforts
Interior Minister Sar Kheng yesterday said there were more than 3,400 traffic accidents in the Kingdom so far this year which killed 1,665 people and injured 5,212.

Speaking at a World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims event on Koh Pich, Mr Kheng noted that the number of accidents increased by 28 percent when compared with the same period last year (January to October).

Mr Kheng said there were 3,453 accidents during the first ten months of 2019, which led to 1,665 deaths, up by 151 from last year, and 5,212 injuries, up by 1,006.

He noted that on average there were about five deaths and 17 injuries per day from accidents caused mainly by failure to adhere to traffic rules, speeding, driving under the influence of alcohol, drowsiness or lack of vehicle maintenance.

Mr Kheng, who is also National Committee on Road Traffic Safety chairman, said the number of accidents increased despite the government’s efforts to prevent them.

Mr Kheng instructed all relevant officials to find the reason for the increases, noting that they should reduce accident rates using other measures such as banning alcohol sales at night, which is being done in many countries.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50663638/r ... y-efforts/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

It would be interesting to find out what time of the day or night each accident happens . Do they have a graph showing it.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia Marks 14th World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims
AKP Phnom Penh, November 25, 2019 --

Cambodia yesterday commemorated the 14th World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims and at the same time launched the "walk safe" campaign.

The two events were presided over by Samdech Kralahom Sâr Khéng, Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Interior and Chairman of the National Road Safety Committee.

On the occasion, Samdech Sâr Khéng urged his compatriots to strictly respect the Road Traffic Law and to remember the slogan of Prime Minister Samdech Techo HE: "Today, tomorrow, no traffic accidents".

On average, road accidents killed 5 people and injured 11 others each day, costing the country some US$350 million a year, according to a report of the National Road Safety Committee.

About 90 percent of road accidents are due to excessive speeding, drink driving, and overtaking.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kahuna
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kahuna »

Can some of the accidents at night be attributed to poor eyesight ie night blindness. I have a Khmer mate who is a fairly good driver during the day but at night he struggles even on a straight stretch of road. I mentioned to him several times that maybe he needs to get his eyesight checkedbut he said it was ok.
I've also spoken to other friends who know they need glasses but they don't like the styles available at the optometrists in Siem Reap so they won't get them.
That and a lot of Cambodians have no clue about driving it seems whether during the day or at night so cars or bikes with no lights is okay at night. Dangerous overtaking by as many as 3 cars wide (not including the moto forced off the road) into oncoming traffic is accepted. Overloading everything from a moto to a truck, drinking and driving etc are all considered okay it seems in Cambodia.
I soon learnt after getting here and buying my Camry that it is not a good idea to drive at night and have the ability to look in several directions at once in the daytime. So far I have been bloody lucky.
jovial fucher
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by jovial fucher »

Speeding was a factor in 41 percent of cases, lack of respect 19 percent

I wonder if insurance pays out on this cause of death...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic