Buying antibiotics in Cambodia (Suprax)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Buying antibiotics in Cambodia (Suprax)

Post by DaveG »

Kuroneko wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:00 am 2015 Sexually Transmitted Diseases Treatment Guidelines

Recommended Regimen

Ceftriaxone 250 mg IM in a single dose
PLUS Azithromycin 1g orally in a single dose

Alternative Regimens
If ceftriaxone is not available:

Cefixime 400 mg orally in a single dose
PLUS Azithromycin 1 g orally in a single dose

A 400-mg oral dose of cefixime should only be considered as an alternative cephalosporin regimen because it does not provide as high, nor as sustained, bactericidal blood levels as a 250-mg dose of ceftriaxone; further, it demonstrates limited efficacy for treatment of pharyngeal gonorrhea (92.3% cure; 95% confidence interval [CI] = 74.9%–99.1%); in older clinical studies, cefixime cured 97.5% of uncomplicated urogenital and anorectal gonococcal infections (95% CI = 95.4%–99.8%) (566,567). The increase in the prevalence of isolates obtained through GISP with elevated cefixime MICs might indicate early stages of development of clinically significant gonococcal resistance to cephalosporins. CDC anticipates that rising cefixime MICs soon will result in declining effectiveness of cefixime for the treatment of urogenital gonorrhea. https://www.cdc.gov/std/tg2015/gonorrhea.htm
How things move on, in my day it was Domestos and a nail brush, progress I suppose !!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Apexisto wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:43 pm
YeP wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:12 am As does the Australian run Pharmacy on 110 its about 50 metres from Larrys on the left hand side of the road heading towards the old market
Street 110? Next to the airport according to Google Maps?
Like most roads it has 2 ends :bow:
Apexisto
Expatriate
Finland

Post by Apexisto »

What antibiotics should I get additionally for treating syphilis and chlamydia? Heard Ceftriaxone would do the trick with chlamydia too?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Apexisto wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:45 pm What antibiotics should I get additionally for treating syphilis and chlamydia? Heard Ceftriaxone would do the trick with chlamydia too?
Ceftriaxone is not the first choice for syphilis, but first choice (1 or 3 shots of Benzathine penicillin G (2.4 million units administered intramuscularly)) is not available in Cambodia, you have to go to Vietnam or Thailand.

If you do have syphilis seek a good doc, and make sure you do the blood checks (VRDL titer) afterwards. Pretty large chance on relapse.

Ceftriaxone is not the first choice for chlamydia. Visit a doc.

Ceftriaxone is also not available at the pharmacy, clinics only and it's one of the last resorts to some resistant bacteria. So better use it as last resort only.
Apexisto
Expatriate
Finland

Post by Apexisto »

Any good doctors in PP for STD and for blood checks? How much is the cost? And how difficult to do that benzathine penicillin thing in Thailand?
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Apexisto wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:45 pm What antibiotics should I get additionally for treating syphilis and chlamydia? Heard Ceftriaxone would do the trick with chlamydia too?
Fuck, you've got Syphillis and Chlamydia and whatever you're trying to kill with the Suprax?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Apexisto wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:09 pm Any good doctors in PP for STD and for blood checks? How much is the cost? And how difficult to do that benzathine penicillin thing in Thailand?
English Dr Scott is apparently clued up about STDs but not cheap. http://www.travellersmedicalclinic.com/index.html
Apexisto
Expatriate
Finland

Post by Apexisto »

Cam Nivag wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:13 pm
Fuck, you've got Syphillis and Chlamydia and whatever you're trying to kill with the Suprax?
I think I'll just get Cefixime and plus the Azithromycin too from the pharmacy and start with them so I don't ever have to visit this thread again...
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Apexisto wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:06 pm
I think I'll just get Cefixime and plus the Azithromycin too from the pharmacy and start with them so I don't ever have to visit this thread again...
take the Azinthro just before you go to bed, makes you feel like shite
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

Apexisto wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:06 pm
Good idea. Contact Dr. Scott too, or Mr. No Joke Howard, he can hook you up with ketamine. You then will never again have to visit this thread.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic