Sihanoukville, Seen Through the Eyes of a Chinese Blogger

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Sihanoukville, Seen Through the Eyes of a Chinese Blogger

Post by cptrelentless »

Maybe we could have a Readers' Wives section, like Razzle or Fiesta?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i find the unfounded accusations and criticisms of ceo here pretty surprising.
i note the absence of such elsewhere, despite it being standard practice to plagiarise this site.

no comment on what is certainly the most in depth article on this subject so far.

the critics would do well to remember that this site is essentially a labor of love by the owner, and temper their outrage with that in mind.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

frank lee bent wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:45 pm i find the unfounded accusations and criticisms of ceo here pretty surprising.
i note the absence of such elsewhere, despite it being standard practice to plagiarise this site.

no comment on what is certainly the most in depth article on this subject so far.

the critics would do well to remember that this site is essentially a labor of love by the owner, and temper their outrage with that in mind.
Yuh, I think it's a shame the meaty subject and unique insight from chinese eyes got lost after the thread was effectively derailed with what I see as pedantics around forum politics.

Sure, there are some points there about quoting the source of the news and associated mod edits et al but I think these would have been better served under a separate thread imo
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

frank lee bent wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:45 pm
I thought it was a great take by a Chinese national on the issues we have been discussing here for a few years.
I posted a few highlights and a link to it about eight hours before it was posted here. I did initially think of posting
it here but knew there was some animosity between the sites so decided not to. The post has gathered 257 views
so far and zero replies. The post here got more than 2000 views so far,
but 99% were bullshit that had nothing to do with the topic.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

amazing article and confirms what i suspected.
I think there is a fair chance the boom could run out of steam due to a fundamental lack of any real commercial support.
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big'n »

As long as China sees a strategic value in the port at Sihanokville there will be no problem with financial backing.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

frank lee bent wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:06 am amazing article and confirms what i suspected.
I think there is a fair chance the boom could run out of steam due to a fundamental lack of any real commercial support.
The online gaming component of the SHV boom should hold up ok with the undersea fiber optic cable at the end of Ocheuteal beach and backup generators to handle town power outages. That will spinoff to support a lot of the other activity like select accommodation/restaurants/whorehouses etc for Chinese workers.
The sector I reckon that could get hit is the low end khmer owned guesthouses being built down every crappy side-street with no chance of any proper infrastructure in the foreseeable future.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

More memorable quotes..
In this extraterrestrial place of the Chinese, crazy dramas about gambling, sex trade, killing, etc. are being performed every day.
Walking on the streets of Sihanouk, you will have a strong illusion of not leaving the country. The shops opened by the Chinese are located in every street of the main city, and the Chinese people are everywhere.
Today, Sihanouk is more like a Chinese city than a Cambodian. Everything is related to gambling
Spinach dog with telecommunications scam carnival base
Chinese people make money, local people eat soil
30 compatriots who were chopped in the early days, only two chose the police and contacted the embassy.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

The renaming to Westport speaks volumes of the naked proprietary ambition of the PRC.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

frank lee bent wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:34 am The renaming to Westport speaks volumes of the naked proprietary ambition of the PRC.
I’m not certain it is a name change, West Port in Mandarin is Xi Han, “she Han” which is quite close to Sihan from Sihanou which is how the locals write it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic