Daylight Robbery: Driver Steals $100,000 on the Way to the Bank

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Daylight Robbery: Driver Steals $100,000 on the Way to the Bank

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh, Cambodia News: A 56-year-old Chinese accountant of the Chinese company CHINA XIN CHENG CONCRETE CAMBODIA CO.LTD was robbed of almost US$100,000 at 10:15 am January 09, 2019 in Sen Sok district.
Reports say the company driver, Oung Sokun, 44, who joined the company in November 2018, stopped the car, took out a flashlight taser gun, and held up the accountant on the way to the bank, situated near Daun Penh railway station. The exact amount stolen was US$ 99,679.
Mr Sokun is being actively sought by Cambodian police, and also by company representatives from CHINA XIN CHENG CONCRETE CAMBODIA.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Daylight Robbery: Driver Steals $100,000 on the Way to the Bank

Post by Username Taken »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:40 pm
Mr Sokun is being actively sought by Cambodian police, and also by company representatives from CHINA XIN CHENG CONCRETE CAMBODIA.
Mr Sokun should hope that the Cambodian police find him before the Chinese company representatives. :assasin:

:evil:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'm not buying that shit. They should check out the accountant, he probably has huge gambling debts. Or else he really got robbed by someone who knew he would be carrying a serious amount of cash. Anyway the company should have some better security when they are moving amounts like that around. At the same time, almost every time I've had to go into a bank for counter service here there have been locals, often old ladies, with satchel loads of cash getting the staff to count brick after brick. Almost always very ordinary looking people too with no obvious sign of bodyguards or any minders.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:26 am I'm not buying that shit. They should check out the accountant, he probably has huge gambling debts. Or else he really got robbed by someone who knew he would be carrying a serious amount of cash. Anyway the company should have some better security when they are moving amounts like that around. At the same time, almost every time I've had to go into a bank for counter service here there have been locals, often old ladies, with satchel loads of cash getting the staff to count brick after brick. Almost always very ordinary looking people too with no obvious sign of bodyguards or any minders.
The accountant, who holds a trusted position with the company says the new driver robbed him. The driver would have known he was carrying cash. The driver has disappeared. Why wouldn't you believe it?
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

10 years ago, the driver would have just put a bullet in the accountant's head on the way to the bank.

Time are changing :stir:
Don't forget the water buffalo
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Cam Nivag wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:06 am
John Bingham wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:26 am I'm not buying that shit. They should check out the accountant, he probably has huge gambling debts. Or else he really got robbed by someone who knew he would be carrying a serious amount of cash. Anyway the company should have some better security when they are moving amounts like that around. At the same time, almost every time I've had to go into a bank for counter service here there have been locals, often old ladies, with satchel loads of cash getting the staff to count brick after brick. Almost always very ordinary looking people too with no obvious sign of bodyguards or any minders.
The accountant, who holds a trusted position with the company says the new driver robbed him. The driver would have known he was carrying cash. The driver has disappeared. Why wouldn't you believe it?
Would you tell some lowly driver that you are carrying 100K? Looks like both were in on it.
console
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by console »

wow !! Some serious gangster shit ....... there is WAYYY MOREE to this story !!
Freelance coder / web developer. I make REAL web applications.
c#, NodeJS, Python... Contact ME !! I work for 50c beers !!!
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

hanno wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:13 am

Would you tell some lowly driver that you are carrying 100K? Looks like both were in on it.
In what way does it “look like” both were in on it? Not everything is some great conspiracy. I’m not aware of a single reported fact suggesting the accountant was in on it.

“Let’s split this money $50,000 each and then I’ll go to the police and blame you for robbing me and if you get caught you go to prison while I’m free and clear.”

That makes no sense.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I think every crim always thinks he can get away with it.

But maybe you are right and the accountant just told the driver he is carrying 100K.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Terrible choice in bag imo
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic