Why isn't cycling more popular in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Why isn't cycling more popular in Cambodia?

Post by la8rat »

dont you tootle or pootle about, not poodle about?

a few years back i bought an English built mtb from orange in Halifax.

strictly speaking it was built in Halifax but the frames are made in Taiwan and then shipped to England to be built up.
only their rather agricultural looking full suspension bike frames are made in house.

even then its still not really a fully english bike given that the forks, tyres etc. come from abroad. but still the bike is built in England

apparently English mountain biking has its roots in wind surfing strangely enough
A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

davegorman wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:18 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:19 pm
davegorman wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:01 pm They’re just not made where you think.

It's no great mystery that western companies often have their products manufactured in Asia, it's been going on for decades. A whole lot of bikes are made here in Cambodia.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... upplier-eu
Which is what I said earlier.
If it makes you feel better negative away.
I’m just having a discussion and if you can’t respond or deal with it don’t say stuff you know nothing about.
What kind of reaction did you expect for such a ridiculous post? You said nothing about any of that earlier, you were randomly labeling all sorts of products as "Chinese". 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Kuroneko wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:48 pm Image
Jesus, I need better glasses.....
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:07 pm
davegorman wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:01 pm They’re just not made where you think.

It's no great mystery that western companies often have their products manufactured in Asia, it's been going on for decades. A whole lot of bikes are made here in Cambodia.

I’m just having a discussion and if you can’t respond or deal with it don’t say stuff you know nothing about.
What kind of reaction did you expect for such a ridiculous post? You said nothing about any of that earlier, you were randomly labeling all sorts of products as "Chinese". 8-)
Because they are.
If you stop crying and do some research instead of bleating nonsense you’ll find what I’ve saud is true.

Most top branded bikes are manufactured in China or Taiwan. Yes they make them here but they are the cheap end bikes.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

la8rat wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:36 pm dont you tootle or pootle about, not poodle about?

strictly speaking it was built in Halifax but the frames are made in Taiwan and then shipped to England to be built up.
only their rather agricultural looking full suspension bike frames are made in house.

even then its still not really a fully english bike given that the forks, tyres etc. come from abroad. but still the bike is built in England

apparently English mountain biking has its roots in wind surfing strangely enough
Holy crap. That looks like it was built to outlast that iron bridge what was built by that Brunel guy.

Not into full sus’ but that looks pretty wild!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

davegorman wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:32 am
John Bingham wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:07 pm

Because they are.
If you stop crying and do some research instead of bleating nonsense you’ll find what I’ve saud is true.

Most top branded bikes are manufactured in China or Taiwan. Yes they make them here but they are the cheap end bikes.
How many times are you going to point out the same thing? Everyone knows a huge number of products are made in China, it isn't some great revelation you discovered.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

:D

Last edited by Kuroneko on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

I was responding to your “randomly labelling” comment. It wasn’t random it was fact.

Now move along now.
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by la8rat »

davegorman wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:35 am
la8rat wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:36 pm dont you tootle or pootle about, not poodle about?

Holy crap. That looks like it was built to outlast that iron bridge what was built by that Brunel guy.

Not into full sus’ but that looks pretty wild!
Orange fives are very marmite. Personally i hate the look of that back end. My mate bought one because he loves how they look. There is no denying they are tough though.
To me the Taiwan framed crush is a much nicer looking bike.

For lovers of strong northen accents here is the famouse Guy Martin visiting Halifax to see how they are made.

3 min mark shows the rear end being craftsman made.
A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic