I hear the sound, of distant drums

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: I hear the sound, of distant drums

Post by Kuroneko » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:05 pm

IraHayes wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:24 pm
Members of the old CNRP have been directly threatened with violence by HE on Monday. When he said:

"If you (the EU) want the opposition dead, just cut it [the EBA]. If you want the opposition alive, don’t do it and come and hold talks together. People are prepared to flee, be prepared. I won’t forgive them."

And now we read that the EU (following pressure from Italy) is imposing an import duty, for 3 years, on rice from Cambodia and Myanmar.
That proposed measure is to protect the rice growing countries in southern Europe:

"The Commission opened an investigation into rice imports from the two countries in March following a complaint by Italy.
it found that a significant surge in imports had caused economic damage to the rice sector in Europe. Rice grows in eight southern European countries from Portugal to Bulgaria."

"EU farming group Copa-Cogeca says that the two countries’ exports to the European Union of longer-grained Indica rice have increased from 9,000 tonnes in 2012 to 360,000 tonnes in 2017, resulting in a collapse of rice prices." https://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-t ... SKBN1O32M6
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: I hear the sound, of distant drums

Post by Arget » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:13 pm

IraHayes wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:24 pm
Members of the old CNRP have been directly threatened with violence by HE on Monday. When he said:

"If you (the EU) want the opposition dead, just cut it [the EBA]. If you want the opposition alive, don’t do it and come and hold talks together. People are prepared to flee, be prepared. I won’t forgive them."

And now we read that the EU (following pressure from Italy) is imposing an import duty, for 3 years, on rice from Cambodia and Myanmar.
Again he should think before he makes these stupid statements. Even his big brother must cringe at times. =@
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic