I hear the sound, of distant drums

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: I hear the sound, of distant drums

Post by Duncan »

Johnsell50 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:19 pm
davegorman wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:47 am I bet they stole the tech to put that Rover onto the moon too.

It’s an interesting question. Do western manufacturers setup factories in China/Vietnam etc to be competitive or just to make more profit for its shareholders?
I’m aware of the better supply chain there (which saves money) but if cars say we’re $2k more because they are made in USA would anyone care?

Most bicycles now are made in China (Cannondale, Giant, Scott, Trex, Whyte etc) with only the really high end carbon fibre stuff made in house. They are still bloody expensive to say 20 years ago though.
They all used to be made in Taiwan (Giant) but moved to PRC for the better supply chain.

Do people want cheap arse throwaway stuff or do they want slightly more expensive stuff that lasts? Did the manufacturers do what people wanted or did they create this problem by trying to be more competitive and make more money?

Personally I think Trump is doing the right thing but he’s got 50 years of consumerism to counter.

The politicains and big business have been giving the USA away a piece at a time with unfair trade deals since the end of WW2. Every trade deal I have heard of has given away more than it has gained. If we had free trade since the 50's America would be in much better shape than it is in today. Look at the import taxes charged coming into versus the taxes being charged to bring America's products into other countries and you will see why it is so hard to compete. The worst part is our government allowed it to happen.
It has always been China's idea to take over the world economically. Why have war when so many counries are already selling out. The arabs have already bought a lot of the world with oil money.
Has anyone noticed that America is now the #1 oil producer in the world, and that is even without the North Slope producing yet. "Drill Baby Drill" is having results. My local gas prices have dropped by 20% in the last year in Tennessee. We are also believed to have the largest reserves.

Yes , I noticed that. I also noticed that America is also the biggest user of its oil and its byproducts.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Stinkman
Expatriate

Post by Stinkman »

Johnsell50 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:19 pm Has anyone noticed that America is now the #1 oil producer in the world, and that is even without the North Slope producing yet. "Drill Baby Drill" is having results. My local gas prices have dropped by 20% in the last year in Tennessee. We are also believed to have the largest reserves.
You mean #1 non-OPEC oil producer? I believe the Saudis are #1 overall producer by far.

And I seriously doubt the largest oil reserves are in the US. I doubt they'd even be in the top 10.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

I believe the USA is number 1 but doesn’t have the biggest oil reserves, shale reserves yes but they always overestimate.

Interestingly the last few years OPEC have asked it’s members to ease of production due to a glut of oil. The reason it to raise the price of a barrel of oil. Makes sense.

However. USA isn’t an OPEC member and as the price of oil has risen its allowed them to start shale oil and gas extraction (without shale they’d be number 8 producer, or something) as it’s become viable.
A drop in oil price means the USA has to import its oil.

Even if they are number 1 they still import oil. Not self sufficient just yet.
Johnsell50
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Johnsell50 »

davegorman wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:36 pm I believe the USA is number 1 but doesn’t have the biggest oil reserves, shale reserves yes but they always overestimate.

Interestingly the last few years OPEC have asked it’s members to ease of production due to a glut of oil. The reason it to raise the price of a barrel of oil. Makes sense.

However. USA isn’t an OPEC member and as the price of oil has risen its allowed them to start shale oil and gas extraction (without shale they’d be number 8 producer, or something) as it’s become viable.

This is going to fluctuate for a while but as soon as the new refineries and ports are brought into play I think we are seeing the future. This is one of the reasons President Trump was so upset with Germany about their natural gas deal with Russia. He would rather see them buy from America, at the same or better prices than see them become dependent on Russia for such a strategic commodity.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... n-75-years
Johnsell50
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Johnsell50 »

Stinkman wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:29 pm
Johnsell50 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:19 pm Has anyone noticed that America is now the #1 oil producer in the world, and that is even without the North Slope producing yet. "Drill Baby Drill" is having results. My local gas prices have dropped by 20% in the last year in Tennessee. We are also believed to have the largest reserves.
You mean #1 non-OPEC oil producer? I believe the Saudis are #1 overall producer by far.

And I seriously doubt the largest oil reserves are in the US. I doubt they'd even be in the top 10.
Please read this: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... n-75-years
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big'n »

Deliberately inflaming the passions of war is propaganda in any country.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

Johnsell50 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:08 pm
Stinkman wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:29 pm

Please read this: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... n-75-years
The US actually exports a certain amount of light sweet crude and then imports sour crude to suit its refineries that were designed to process Middle East Sour crude or a blend containing sour crude and light sweet. They probably wont invest in long lead time multi billion dollar new refineries at this stage of the fossil fuel age so while they are close to being a net exporter of crude they will still be reliant on imported sour crude.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Johnsell50 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:05 pm
davegorman wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:36 pm I believe the USA is number 1 but doesn’t have the biggest oil reserves, shale reserves yes but they always overestimate.

This is going to fluctuate for a while but as soon as the new refineries and ports are brought into play I think we are seeing the future. This is one of the reasons President Trump was so upset with Germany about their natural gas deal with Russia. He would rather see them buy from America, at the same or better prices than see them become dependent on Russia for such a strategic commodity.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... n-75-years
Refining and shipping is not the problem.
It’s still much more expensive to extract shale gas and oil and always will be.

Hence it’s more susceptible to price fluctuations.
If any traditional oil producer (Russia, UAE etc) flood the market with oil causing a glut shale will stop.
The USA are not home free.

Also. Why should Germany buy off the USA? It’s like assuming Canada would buy off Australia and not it’s near neighbours!
Johnsell50
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Johnsell50 »

US still has massive underground reserves of non-shale oil they are just developing. New fields just found that are supposed to be larger than Arab countries just in Texas. They are putting in new pipelines now just to handle the flow. With the increased flow they are developing new refineries right now, and setting up new and improved ports.
Stinkman
Expatriate

Post by Stinkman »

Johnsell50 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:13 pm US still has massive underground reserves of non-shale oil they are just developing. New fields just found that are supposed to be larger than Arab countries just in Texas.
Again, source? I did read they found additional reserve in the Permian Basin region, and somewhat large but nothing near the magnitude of what you seem to have read.

Either way I wouldn't put much stock in such oil exploration announcements. Could be shady people trying to spur investment and increase land prices. Brazil reported massive offshore oil reserves long ago that have yet to materialize and so has Cambodia. Some formations cost well over $100 a barrel to extract.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic