I hear the sound, of distant drums

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Stinkman
Expatriate

Re: I hear the sound, of distant drums

Post by Stinkman »

Joker Poker wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:37 am
frank lee bent wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:29 am war is coming
The one child policy was always about this.
If they were bent on war, wouldn't a one child policy be kinda dumb? Wouldn't you want another billion soldiers?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

They made their running from the wholesale theft of intellectual property. There is no reciprocity in their trade. Our supine and corrupt leaders have allowed it.
Time to halt it while we still can.

Cambodia and Australia have a population equivalent to Oklahoma.
The line in the sand will not be drawn in those places.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Stinkman wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:43 am
Joker Poker wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:37 am
frank lee bent wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:29 am war is coming
The one child policy was always about this.
If they were bent on war, wouldn't a one child policy be kinda dumb? Wouldn't you want another billion soldiers?
They wanted boys, they got all they need - and now the world is stuck with them, like it or not.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Yes. A generation of starveling deprived young men.
Note their physical deprivation.
Charicature of the yellow buck toothed peril.
Cannon fodder.
Stinkman
Expatriate

Post by Stinkman »

frank lee bent wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:45 am They made their running from the wholesale theft of intellectual property. There is no reciprocity in their trade. Our supine and corrupt leaders have allowed it.
Time to halt it while we still can.
Isn't that what the much-hated Trump is trying to do?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I think you are right.
That is why he is withdrawing the .mil to the homeland.
The markets know.

Better have an exit strategy because it is 1939 again.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

But who will make our shoes and uniforms now?
We cant do it ourselves any more.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

I bet they stole the tech to put that Rover onto the moon too.

It’s an interesting question. Do western manufacturers setup factories in China/Vietnam etc to be competitive or just to make more profit for its shareholders?
I’m aware of the better supply chain there (which saves money) but if cars say we’re $2k more because they are made in USA would anyone care?

Most bicycles now are made in China (Cannondale, Giant, Scott, Trex, Whyte etc) with only the really high end carbon fibre stuff made in house. They are still bloody expensive to say 20 years ago though.
They all used to be made in Taiwan (Giant) but moved to PRC for the better supply chain.

Do people want cheap arse throwaway stuff or do they want slightly more expensive stuff that lasts? Did the manufacturers do what people wanted or did they create this problem by trying to be more competitive and make more money?

Personally I think Trump is doing the right thing but he’s got 50 years of consumerism to counter.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Stinkman wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:43 am If they were bent on war, wouldn't a one child policy be kinda dumb? Wouldn't you want another billion soldiers?
ye that was ages ago

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/govern ... ild-policy
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... -of-limits
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/20 ... ld-policy/
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/china/chin ... es-n453566
Johnsell50
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Johnsell50 »

davegorman wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:47 am I bet they stole the tech to put that Rover onto the moon too.

It’s an interesting question. Do western manufacturers setup factories in China/Vietnam etc to be competitive or just to make more profit for its shareholders?
I’m aware of the better supply chain there (which saves money) but if cars say we’re $2k more because they are made in USA would anyone care?

Most bicycles now are made in China (Cannondale, Giant, Scott, Trex, Whyte etc) with only the really high end carbon fibre stuff made in house. They are still bloody expensive to say 20 years ago though.
They all used to be made in Taiwan (Giant) but moved to PRC for the better supply chain.

Do people want cheap arse throwaway stuff or do they want slightly more expensive stuff that lasts? Did the manufacturers do what people wanted or did they create this problem by trying to be more competitive and make more money?

Personally I think Trump is doing the right thing but he’s got 50 years of consumerism to counter.

The politicains and big business have been giving the USA away a piece at a time with unfair trade deals since the end of WW2. Every trade deal I have heard of has given away more than it has gained. If we had free trade since the 50's America would be in much better shape than it is in today. Look at the import taxes charged coming into versus the taxes being charged to bring America's products into other countries and you will see why it is so hard to compete. The worst part is our government allowed it to happen.
It has always been China's idea to take over the world economically. Why have war when so many counries are already selling out. The arabs have already bought a lot of the world with oil money.
Has anyone noticed that America is now the #1 oil producer in the world, and that is even without the North Slope producing yet. "Drill Baby Drill" is having results. My local gas prices have dropped by 20% in the last year in Tennessee. We are also believed to have the largest reserves.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic