Expat destinations and visa requirements

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
happybritexpat
Tourist
Great Britain

Expat destinations and visa requirements

Post by happybritexpat »

Hello and happy new year. My first post. What could go wrong...

From my research, the only 2 countries in SE Asia that I can easily legally stay in are Cambodia and Indonesia.

I am a retired male and I have a UK and USA passport and get a good retirement pension via USA SS. However my savings are pitiful.:facepalm: ... Note to self ...never marry again.

This being said, I can not qualify for the MM2H *which is my number one choice for a country* and all the other countries in SE Asia.. except for Thailand..which is where I am now and where I want to leave from. I do have a TH O-A visa based on my income.

Is it really OK to live in Cambodia on unlimited tourist visas or a business visa, even in the absence of a business? I wonder how many expats living in Cambodia are there because of the same boat that I am in? Cheers for any insight.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Expat destinations and visa requirements

Post by newkidontheblock »

If you’re 55 or older, why not just get a retirement visa? ie, regular visa on arrival then to a visa agent to add the retirement visa extension.

Otherwise tourist visa has a limited number of renewals before being required to leave the country.
TheWarrior
Expatriate
Romania

Post by TheWarrior »

happybritexpat wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:32 am This being said, I can not qualify for the MM2H *which is my number one choice for a country* and all the other countries in SE Asia.. except for Thailand..which is where I am now and where I want to leave from. I do have a TH O-A visa based on my income.
You dont like Thailand??
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

NO idea where MM2H is??

Indo is NOT easy at all to stay long term without working
Unlike other countries in the region, Indonesia’s visa requirements for retirees are relatively strict. As well as a minimum monthly income exceeding that required by its neighbors, Indonesia places minimum value requirements on monthly home and condo rentals, as well as requiring retirees to hire local Indonesian home help.

Firstly, applicants for an Indonesian retirement visa must provide a statement from their pension fund or retirement investment indicating that they are provided with at least $1,500 USD of income monthly or $18,000 per year. This exceeds the income requirements of Indonesia’s neighboring countries, but isn’t excessive.

Secondly, applicants must take part in a number of practices that benefit the local economy. Retirees in Indonesia must provide documents indicating that they are spending at least $500 USD per month on accommodation if they plan to reside in Bali, Jakarta or Bandung. Other regions have a $200 USD minimum monthly spend.

Thirdly, applicants must indicate that they have hired an Indonesian maid or butler to help them take care of their property. All applicants for the retirement visa must provide documentation indicating that they are at least fifty-five years old, as well as submitting their full work history and resume when applying for the visa.
thai O-A visa gives u almost 2 years stay, go home and repeat..
Expect agents soon to be offering 1 year Retirement extensions here for around 22,000 baht/year
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:35 am NO idea where MM2H is??
Malaysia My Second Home program for expat retirees.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:47 am If you’re 55 or older, why not just get a retirement visa? ie, regular visa on arrival then to a visa agent to add the retirement visa extension.

Otherwise tourist visa has a limited number of renewals before being required to leave the country.
I'm not sure the tourist visa with extension is a viable option for long term stays these days. You can get a one time extension for 30 days (being able to stay in-country for 60 days) , but if the processing time is as much as for other visa (last time 10 working days for me) it would be not an option for me. I wouldn't like my passport to be with the DoI for two weeks every two months. The chance of the occasion happening I need my passport for an immediate departure while it's stuck there would be too big for me.
happybritexpat
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by happybritexpat »

TheWarrior wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:18 am
happybritexpat wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:32 am This being said, I can not qualify for the MM2H *which is my number one choice for a country* and all the other countries in SE Asia.. except for Thailand..which is where I am now and where I want to leave from. I do have a TH O-A visa based on my income.
You dont like Thailand??
Correct. That's why I wrote that in leaving...
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Vietnam is a similar option. Lots of elderly people on one-year business visas obtained through visa agents. Cheaper for US passport holders.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

sigmoid wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:00 am Vietnam is a similar option. Lots of elderly people on one-year business visas obtained through visa agents. Cheaper for US passport holders.
I believe that’s changing.
TheWarrior
Expatriate
Romania

Post by TheWarrior »

happybritexpat wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:26 am
TheWarrior wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:18 am
You dont like Thailand??
Correct. That's why I wrote that in leaving...
Most of the people like Thailand. Thats why I double checked. Whats the reason you dont like it???
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic