Why dont the Poms grow balls and just leave?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Why dont the Poms grow balls and just leave?

Post by Username Taken »

davegorman wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:48 pm
Username Taken wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:32 pm
davegorman wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:21 pm
Spigzy wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:52 pm As an ex-POME, if have to ask if this is the right place for the question Hanno? I “just left” over a decade ago, never looked back. The Rise & Fall of the British Empire is in its dying throes, it’ll be up to your countrymen to keep the insufferable French in check, whilst the UK returns to being a “nation of shopkeepers” now that World domination at all costs is generally frowned upon! ;)
I’ll admit we can be insufferable at times.

How can you be an ex pome?
It cost him 10 quid to get out. Prolly has an Aussie passport now.
My Aussie mate said any poms in Australia are still poms even if they’ve been there 50 years!
That's true, but do you think the POMS are going to admit to being a POM?
They'll say something like, "Ahm, a bluudy Ozzie, met! Arv, got a certifikit 'n all".

:beer3:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

lipservice wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:58 pm
I've just experienced the most boring Christmas ever thanks to a mob of useless good for nothing, whinging, gutless Poms
Might I suggest that when next you go to the market to stock up on whatever beer you use to bolster your anonymous outbursts, you also buy some batteries for the remote control? Possibly, you could use the journey to justify stopping by the TV and adjusting it to display a different channel more appealing. For instance, Australian politics 24hr, if such exists.
I also find the whole Brexit debate tedious and farcical. However, I’ve discovered that it doesn’t actually have to occupy my every waking moment, nor even any.

Just a thought
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

Reading the OP's posts reminds me of my favourite Australia joke:

"What's the difference between Australia and a yoghurt?"

"If you leave a yoghurt for long enough, it develops a culture".

Whilst it may have become boring in that the UK has had an utterly useless leader in May, the a trial questi is far from trivial and will have repercussions throughout European countries for decades to come. The very fact that you have bothered to post on the subject here, in a forum aimed at expats residing in Cambodia speaks volumes.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I always thought POME was short for "Prisoner Of Mother England" - thus to be a POME, presumably you'd have to still be a prisoner of the Sceptred Isle? Obviously I'm not, thus ex-POME? As far as Aussies go, I'm sure we're all still Poms, and that's alright by me, nothing wrong with a stereotypical nickname.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:10 am I always thought POME was short for "Prisoner Of Mother England" - thus to be a POME, presumably you'd have to still be a prisoner of the Sceptred Isle? Obviously I'm not, thus ex-POME? As far as Aussies go, I'm sure we're all still Poms, and that's alright by me, nothing wrong with a stereotypical nickname.
That has been discounted as per my earlier quote.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I'm not buying the pomegranate thing, I reckon that is fake news being spread by the convicts to mask the true origin!

Interestingly the word POME (case-sensitive) peaks in 1729, a full half century before the first ships set sail for Australia (1788), by 1868 and the last ship, the usage has dropped to 1/7th of the peak:
https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?c ... ME%3B%2Cc1

Pommy isn't really even on the register until WWI: https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?c ... my%3B%2Cc0

POM is a post-WWII thing entirely: https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?c ... my%3B%2Cc0

I'm betting the term is probably derived from the time where Australians and Brits fought together in wars back to perhaps the Boer Wars through to WW2 and the British use of the QF1 & QF2 machine guns (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_1-pounder_pom-pom). I'm sure Australian soldiers returning home would use the term "bloody poms" in reference to the Brits using those guns from distance instead of getting in the thick of it hand to hand like a proper crocodile wrestling Aussie would. #donk ;)

[edit: surely some Australians can chime in with where they first heard it, and how their forefathers explained the origin?!]
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Their forefathers were poms!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

hanno wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:26 am
Spigzy wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:10 am

I always thought POME was short for "Prisoner Of Mother England" -

thus to be a POME, presumably you'd have to still be a prisoner of the Sceptred Isle? Obviously I'm not, thus ex-POME? As far as Aussies go, I'm sure we're all still Poms, and that's alright by me, nothing wrong with a stereotypical nickname.
That has been discounted as per my earlier quote.

It's 56 years since I left school, but thats what I was taught back then. POME= "Prisoner Of Mother England" -
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

As a Brit, I look on in horror at how my government is handling Brexit. I'm tempted to agree with the OP and say let's just leave. Walk away without a deal. But as tempting as that seems, the truth is, it's just not as easy as that. It's an incredibly difficult, complicated and messy affair, whichever way you look at it, and considering it's the biggest most significant political issue the UK has had to deal with since WWII, it's no surprise that it dominates the news agenda.

As another poster suggested, you are free to ignore / switch off / look away / place your hands over your ears and shout la la la every time it's mentioned, if that's what you want. Nobody is forcing you to take an interest.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

can everyone stop being racist please! :roll:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic