Sexual behaviors, HIV knowledge, HIV testing attitudes and recent HIV testing among female entertainment workers in Camb

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Re: Sexual behaviors, HIV knowledge, HIV testing attitudes and recent HIV testing among female entertainment workers in

Post by Foreigner »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:55 pm
Foreigner wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:51 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:46 pm
Foreigner wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:16 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:02 pm

On the bright side:

https://www.hivlawandpolicy.org/resourc ... a-analysis
true but still a shocking stat.

I know this is hardly the main issue here, but does that also mean that the average bar girl has had sex approx 10,000 times ?

* say 10% have HIV, transmission say 0.1%, say 1% of men have it (100*100).
First, determine average times per week. (Honestly curious.)
well if we say our average F.E.W. has been working for 4 years, then that's 50 times a week. seems excessive to me tbh even if there might be some who have done that in a record week. we might need to get a proper statistician in tbh.
How about interviewing bar girls? Granted, self-reporting can be unreliable.
My momma taught me the following rules:

1. never ask a lady her age
2. never ask a lady the average number of times she fucks in a week

haha.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Sexual behaviors, HIV knowledge, HIV testing attitudes and recent HIV testing among female entertainment workers in

Post by Big Daikon »

Foreigner wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:20 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:55 pm
Foreigner wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:51 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:46 pm
Foreigner wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:16 pm

true but still a shocking stat.

I know this is hardly the main issue here, but does that also mean that the average bar girl has had sex approx 10,000 times ?

* say 10% have HIV, transmission say 0.1%, say 1% of men have it (100*100).
First, determine average times per week. (Honestly curious.)
well if we say our average F.E.W. has been working for 4 years, then that's 50 times a week. seems excessive to me tbh even if there might be some who have done that in a record week. we might need to get a proper statistician in tbh.
How about interviewing bar girls? Granted, self-reporting can be unreliable.
My momma taught me the following rules:

1. never ask a lady her age
2. never ask a lady the average number of times she fucks in a week

haha.
Violating rule #1 is rude.
Violating #2 is funny as hell.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

it is beyond stupid that cheap tests arent sold at pharmacies. not just in cambodia but worldwide. HIV could have been eradicated years ago.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

All bar girls should provide their boss with monthly medical clearance of sexual diseases. I knew a woman who worked in bars on 104 for years with HIV. She was a neighbor of mine. She's dead now.
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

one also has to question the drives of western folk that do their fanny procurement at street 51 still....surely better options than that
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

fsdfdsdf wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:06 pm it is beyond stupid that cheap tests arent sold at pharmacies. not just in cambodia but worldwide. HIV could have been eradicated years ago.
The tests are free and the infection rates in Cambodia are a fraction of what they were in the early 90s. Cambodia has had phenomenal success in reducing HIV infections and should get kudos for that.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

rexwell wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:31 pm All bar girls should provide their boss with monthly medical clearance of sexual diseases. I knew a woman who worked in bars on 104 for years with HIV. She was a neighbor of mine. She's dead now.
some bars do this. the girls have tests for everything every 6 months. RIP to your neighbour.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

John Bingham wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:47 pm
fsdfdsdf wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:06 pm it is beyond stupid that cheap tests arent sold at pharmacies. not just in cambodia but worldwide. HIV could have been eradicated years ago.
The tests are free and the infection rates in Cambodia are a fraction of what they were in the early 90s. Cambodia has had phenomenal success in reducing HIV infections and should get kudos for that.
I agree, but the overall achievement should go to the overseas organisations that put their involvement and hard cash here, without them what would be now.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

It’s understandable that risk management is not a strong point with many people, but just use a condom and your chance of getting infected with anything from a bar girl will be much lower than getting hit and injured in a tuktuk accident or a thousand other reasons to get in trouble and die.

Not that risk assessment and management is a strong point at all levels as it turned out with this global covid tragicomedy, but it’s never too late to learn.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

hunter8 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:51 pm
Not that risk assessment and management is a strong point at all levels as it turned out with this global covid tragicomedy, but it’s never too late to learn.
It is a similar story in some ways. AIDS and Covid-19.
Some countries acted really quickly and let the medical experts lead. They had phenomenal success in preventing the spread.
Some countries dithered, and bought ideological/political considerations into play. (mostly conservative/right-wing). They bore the whirlwind.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic