Environments of The 4th Kind Explored

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Environments of The 4th Kind Explored

Post by britscienceteacher »

Give your ten cents. A few days ago this topic would have been fit for the Silly Area (Asinine Arena). But now it's clear that some people believe that an 'Independence Day' alien invasion is actually possible. Things have changed after Thursdays events with massive numbers of people mobilised by light and sound, quoting the New York Times,

'Moments later, he said, he saw people rushing away on the street.

“Once we saw people running, we decided to get out,” he said. His girlfriend, Dana Jefferson, stood on the street, carrying the duffel bag she had quickly packed. “She was ready to go,” he said.'

With many a psycho-emotional (some would say traumatic) response, was experienced. How common is this? If you have friends or have personally experienced such responses to light or sound, please do have your say. Alternatively if you know somebody who believes they have been abducted by aliens tell the story. Whether you believe that we are being visited by beings from Jupiter or that the aliens are just perves with high security clearance in latex suits I'd love to hear from you.
God
Omnipotent
Cambodia

Re: Environments of The 4th Kind Explored

Post by God »

Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Re: Environments of The 4th Kind Explored

Post by Sidewalker »

God(s) do only exist in the mind of people. :beer3:
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

New York's Jupiter Terrorism Fears explained

I didn't mentioned religion. There must be an explanation why vast numbers of people suffered such fear and delusions, triggered by environmental factors (light and sound). Perhaps a neurologist could explain it. Perhaps a sensory-psychologist. I don't know. New York is supposed to be full of shrinks so I expect there are more than a few people giving answers right now. Maybe one of them will show up later here...
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: New York's Jupiter Terrorism Fears explained

Post by Kuroneko »

britscienceteacher wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:26 pm I didn't mentioned religion. There must be an explanation why vast numbers of people suffered such fear and delusions, triggered by environmental factors (light and sound). Perhaps a neurologist could explain it. Perhaps a sensory-psychologist. I don't know. New York is supposed to be full of shrinks so I expect there are more than a few people giving answers right now. Maybe one of them will show up later here...
Mass Hysteria--Lots of literature on the subject:
Mass Hysteria & Moral Panic: Definitions, Causes & Examples
Mass hysteria is defined as an imagined or assumed threat that causes physical symptoms among a large number of people. Sociologist Robert Bartholomew, author of several books on mass hysteria, including The Martians Have Landed: A History of Media-Driven Panics and Hoaxes, explained that mass hysteria symptoms typically include smelling gas, seeing strange objects, acting like animals, and fainting. Mass hysteria is a short-term event that may or may not have a specific cause. According to Bartholomew, people can start having real symptoms just from stories they hear, and sometimes, there is no real explanation for why mass hysteria happens; it just happens.

War of the Worlds
An example of mass hysteria that does have a known cause occurred on October 30, 1938, during a radio broadcast adapted from H. G. Wells' novel The War of the Worlds. It occurred when Orson Welles caused thousands of listeners to believe that an actual Martian invasion was taking place. The hour-long radio broadcast was narrated in a news bulletin format without any commercial breaks.

It caused many in the audience to become hysterical, reporting that they could smell poison gas or see lightning flashes in the distance. According to some historians, approximately six million people heard the broadcast. 1.7 million thought it was true, and out of those, 1.2 million actually exhibited hysterical behavior.
https://study.com/academy/lesson/mass-h ... mples.html
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Lenny Dickenson - Sweeny's Silence

Kuroneko wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:51 pm "there is no real explanation for why mass hysteria happens; it just happens."
Well I don't buy that. 'There will be no investigation' doesn't answer anything. I don't believe that people are just dumb, or mad. Women don't suffer from mental deficiency (as was widely believed not so long ago). People are not just unexplainably hysterical.

I think we've developed past that, well I hope so anyway. That's assuming we're not going backwards, which is a big assumption I suppose.

Epilepsy can be caused by light and sound too. There is a link. Many facts and events just tend to be ignored. Perhaps people shouldn't ask questions, but then again asking questions prevents large mistakes from being made. There's still nothing in the MSM about Charlie's rescue despite it featuring massively outside of the English language MSM and an irrefutable amount of 'fake evidence' and 'fake testimony' being available on utube and other sites.

It's good to know things because it makes life safer for everyone. As my friend Lenny Dickenson always says, "keep it under your hat because it's supposed to be that way. It's just Sweeny's silence." I'm going to meet him tonight at the pie shop, just need to get my hair cut first.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Lenny Dickenson - Sweeny's Silence

Post by Kuroneko »

britscienceteacher wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:39 pm
Kuroneko wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:51 pm "there is no real explanation for why mass hysteria happens; it just happens."
Well I don't buy that. 'There will be no investigation' doesn't answer anything. I don't believe that people are just dumb, or mad. Women don't suffer from mental deficiency (as was widely believed not so long ago). People are not just unexplainably hysterical.

I think we've developed past that, well I hope so anyway. That's assuming we're not going backwards, which is a big assumption I suppose.

Epilepsy can be caused by light and sound too. There is a link. Many facts and events just tend to be ignored. Perhaps people shouldn't ask questions, but then again asking questions prevents large mistakes from being made. There's still nothing in the MSM about Charlie's rescue despite it featuring massively outside of the English language MSM and an irrefutable amount of 'fake evidence' and 'fake testimony' being available on utube and other sites.

It's good to know things because it makes life safer for everyone. As my friend Lenny Dickenson always says, "keep it under your hat because it's supposed to be that way. It's just Sweeny's silence." I'm going to meet him tonight at the pie shop, just need to get my hair cut first.
There you go again, misquoting. The quote was "Mass hysteria is a short-term event that may or may not have a specific cause. According to Bartholomew, people can start having real symptoms just from stories they hear, and sometimes, there is no real explanation for why mass hysteria happens; it just happens."

The verdict is still out as to why mass hysteria happens, however there are many possible explanations, and theories. However Bartholomew states that sometimes there is no explanation, your picking out a part of the quote gives the misleading idea that there is never an explanation.

One theory proposed by Gary Small, M.D. states:
In all the mass hysteria episodes I've studied and written about over the years, the lingering question for me is why they don't happen more often. The essential ingredients - groups under psychological and physical stress, often hungry, tired, or both - come together almost daily all around the world. So what is that ultimate trigger that pushes some people over the edge and let's their minds take over their bodies en masse? https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... re-anytime
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Audio trigger example (high profile)

Hysteria is just such a generally term, that tends to get debunked with proper investigation.

Well, whatever the explanation is it certainly looks like these responses are linked to sensory cues. There are plenty of high profile examples around. The only question that I have left is, how do people get sensitized to these particular sounds?

https://www.rt.com/usa/448151-cuba-emba ... -crickets/
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: New York's Jupiter Terrorism Fears explained

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Kuroneko wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:51 pm
britscienceteacher wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:26 pm I didn't mentioned religion. There must be an explanation why vast numbers of people suffered such fear and delusions, triggered by environmental factors (light and sound). Perhaps a neurologist could explain it. Perhaps a sensory-psychologist. I don't know. New York is supposed to be full of shrinks so I expect there are more than a few people giving answers right now. Maybe one of them will show up later here...
Mass Hysteria--Lots of literature on the subject:
Mass Hysteria & Moral Panic: Definitions, Causes & Examples
Mass hysteria is defined as an imagined or assumed threat that causes physical symptoms among a large number of people. Sociologist Robert Bartholomew, author of several books on mass hysteria, including The Martians Have Landed: A History of Media-Driven Panics and Hoaxes, explained that mass hysteria symptoms typically include smelling gas, seeing strange objects, acting like animals, and fainting. Mass hysteria is a short-term event that may or may not have a specific cause. According to Bartholomew, people can start having real symptoms just from stories they hear, and sometimes, there is no real explanation for why mass hysteria happens; it just happens.

War of the Worlds
An example of mass hysteria that does have a known cause occurred on October 30, 1938, during a radio broadcast adapted from H. G. Wells' novel The War of the Worlds. It occurred when Orson Welles caused thousands of listeners to believe that an actual Martian invasion was taking place. The hour-long radio broadcast was narrated in a news bulletin format without any commercial breaks.

It caused many in the audience to become hysterical, reporting that they could smell poison gas or see lightning flashes in the distance. According to some historians, approximately six million people heard the broadcast. 1.7 million thought it was true, and out of those, 1.2 million actually exhibited hysterical behavior.
https://study.com/academy/lesson/mass-h ... mples.html
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic