What's with the food in PP?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

What's with the food in PP?

Post by SlowJoe »

This is the 2nd time in 2 trips to pp ive gotten this weird flu like illness and its not normal food poisoning

I live in the northern countryside with no supermarkets and only one local market where everyone knows each other. Ive been sick once in 3 years there but since coming to pp for some shopping ive gotten hit yet again with what seems like a food related illness. My whole body is sore and i have a nasty headache and its been this way all day almost immediately after consuming a bite of beef bought from a local market this morning. Beef looked very fresh and i smelled it washed it and cooked it myself.

Whats the issue with the food here? Has anyone else had issues like this?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: What's with the food in PP?

Post by frank lee bent »

sometimes they put borax on it.
if flies arent on it- likely borax
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

When we lived in PP the Mrs would buy from Psar Kandal meat vendors regularly, never had any big food poisoning episodes, few cases of the runs, but can't recall any worse than that. I've had much worse food poisoning here in Australia, 3 occasions come to mind.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

SlowJoe wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:32 pm This is the 2nd time in 2 trips to pp ive gotten this weird flu like illness and its not normal food poisoning
My whole body is sore and i have a nasty headache

Have you got the shits too ? It doesn't sound like food poisoning, more like dengue or something.(Flu symptoms.)

But I'm no doctor, so maybe as FLB says it's chemical poisoning from borax treatment. Did you buy your meat at the same market each time ? And are you sure its the meat, not the cooking oil or something else ?

Never been really sick in PP, but I never cook for myself there, so all I can say is the food is not worse than elsewhere, except that I avoid eating seafood in PP and anywhere far from the coast.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I don't know, I've lived in Phnom Penh for quite a while and I don't get sick much. I never buy meat in markets though, I'm sure much of it is fine but it just doesn't look so appealing hanging there on a hook with flies hovering around.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I was going to say maybe it's dengue, too. Getting the trots is the food, any fever and maybe it's the D. There's four types, so a selection box

Sent from my LG-X240 using Tapatalk

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

cptrelentless wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:24 pm I was going to say maybe it's dengue, too. Getting the trots is the food, any fever and maybe it's the D. There's four types, so a selection box

Sent from my LG-X240 using Tapatalk
Yep. It might be worth getting a blood test.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Well i just woke up after almost 12 hours of sleep and woke up with what felt like a massive hangover. Downed a half litre of water already and feel considerably better. Soreness is largely gone but some still there so it seems like a chemical related poisoning if i were to guess. It was a sudden onset within 5 minutes of eating that first bite of beef and before that i was carrying boxes of supplies to our hotel room no problem. Two bites of beef i was down and out. No trots immediate cramping and headache only. Im no expert but id lean towards the borax treatment if i were to guess.

First time this happened was with a burger made from beef bought from a super market that said australian ground beef. This time was from a local market so unless the super market just slaps australian beef labels on their ground beef then it was from different sources.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Now my wife is sick something is really off with the food here. Shes khmer and never gets sick on anything but shes in bed with the same symptoms as i used to have now. She is a vegetarian and the only thing she ate yesterday were leafy greens from the local market in russian market and rice. We always soak our vegetables in salt for half an hour and scrub them throughly and then we cooked it ourselves but i didnt eat any of it. She said the same thing as me "right away i felt muscle pain and headache".

I dont know whats with the food at the local markets but something is up. Were the kind of people to wake up at 530 and wait for the freshest food to be brought in on motos and tuk tuks so its not likely sour food. Its as if the food itself has something sprayed on it or grown with some really weird shit in the ground or the stuff is from china or something.

Whatever the case im glad to get back to the countryside away from the congestion and mysterious food, this trip hasnt been all that good.
Ricky Dunn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ricky Dunn »

SlowJoe wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:32 pm This is the 2nd time in 2 trips to pp ive gotten this weird flu like illness and its not normal food poisoning

I live in the northern countryside with no supermarkets and only one local market where everyone knows each other. Ive been sick once in 3 years there but since coming to pp for some shopping ive gotten hit yet again with what seems like a food related illness. My whole body is sore and i have a nasty headache and its been this way all day almost immediately after consuming a bite of beef bought from a local market this morning. Beef looked very fresh and i smelled it washed it and cooked it myself.

If you live in the countryside, it could be malaria, severe headaches is a symptom and keep in mind symptoms of malaria typically begin 8–25 days following infection.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic