What's with the food in PP?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: What's with the food in PP?

Post by fax »

SlowJoe wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:35 am Were the kind of people to wake up at 530 and wait for the freshest food to be brought in on motos and tuk tuks so its not likely sour food. Its as if the food itself has something sprayed on it or grown with some really weird shit in the ground or the stuff is from china or something.
If you're buying local product this is pretty much what you get. Vegetables are injected with liquids to increase weight and change color and taste sweeter. Meat is treated with hormones and stuff.

Years ago there was a mysterious child disease. It turned out to be caused by steroids in the meat. It kills kids and gives adults tumors. I can't find the follow up right now but its this case look it up why they died https://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/60 ... ry-disease
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

I have suffered from this "weird flu like illness" a number of times in Pp @SlowJoe. Often seems to come and go, and sometimes to make me feel "just not quite right"- hotter than I should feel, sometimes has me wondering if its in my head. Guess in the tropics there are probably many possible causes. I wondered about dengue but after research realised as annoying as it was it wasn't bad enough to be the dengue. I stay in a cheap humid fan room so wondered if "black mould" could be responsible - symptoms matched. Also wondered about chemicals- probably pesticides on fresh greens but as you say you washed yours well. I guess bacterial contamination is the option, and the one that seemed most likely to me (i'm not a doctor though). On my recent stay I decided to be much fussier about what ate. A pity for me as I enjoy borr borr, fresh spring rolls from the old ladies with poles and baskets etc but I seemed to be healthier.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

It's unlikely to be the food - twice. You should have gone for a medical check up while you were in town.
Wishing you both a speedy recovery.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Replying from phone so if disjointed i apologise. Given our sudden onset literally within 5 minutes of consuming our respective foods i lean towards the food being the culprit. Ive had lots of bacteria related food poisoning and usually i get the shits for half the day and its over same for the wife. Were resilient people in that respect we both grew up on farms. Even transitioning to cambodia wasnt hard for me and i was eating street food from day one. Not anymore for various reasons.

If anything i am suspecting doped up food is being shipped in from wherever at this point. The symptoms just dont match with food poisoning in the tradition sense and the sudden onset of eating specific things has me thinking so.

Whatever the case be careful what you eat.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

guess i have been lucky or my body has built up immunities.
I eat a lot of street food and in local restaurants in SE Asia and in the past 12 years or so have only gotten "delly belly" twice and both times it was in Burma 3 years ago.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:03 am It's unlikely to be the food - twice. You should have gone for a medical check up while you were in town.
Wishing you both a speedy recovery.
Agreed, it usually takes at least 6 hours for symptoms of food poisoning to develop and the symptoms include nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. Viral infections causing flu like symptoms are going to take somewhere in the region of 1-4 days to develop, and are much more likely to be contracted by direct contact with infected people.

If an immediate reaction to eating food occurs it is most likely an allergic reaction, but the symptoms are not flu like and include: The most common food allergy signs and symptoms include the following:

Tingling or itching in the mouth
Hives, itching or eczema
Swelling of the lips, face,tongue, and throat or other parts of the body
Wheezing, nasal congestion or trouble breathing
Abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea or vomiting
Dizziness, lightheadedness or fainting
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Probably wont help in this case but maybe someone else who happen to read the postings here.

A friend of mine who does medical research in the U.S. at a not so unknown facility told me once that since I am a lot in SEA I should keep eating pineapple. Especially good for diarrhea. Pineapples (and peaches) have an enzyme that breaks protein chains. As bacteria are protein, the pineapple kills them on contact. So a ripe pineapple, one or two depending on size, will clean up your stomach and take of the rest on the way out. I noticed who effective it is as it stopped fermentation in the stomach and below right away. No burping etc. anymore. Very fast. After 10-12 hrs my appetite was back and I was eating normally, I just threw in a yoghurt to help my system. The guesthouse owner couldn't believe it.

If pineapple cant help it is probably time for a doctor.

In general, a piece of pineapple now and then or after a meal might be a good way of preempting brewing trouble.

I know this sounds a little strange but once you try it you will be happy about the results.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Borax is very common as noted previously

More here
http://www.phnomenon.com/index.php/camb ... tra-borax/
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I used to get awful flu like symptons every wet season when living in the little villa in BKK1. It turned out to be caused by mould. There was a large cupboard in the room and the back was chipboard or MDF and every wet season it would be completely black with mould.
Hinterland66
Tourist
Australia

Post by Hinterland66 »

Not a doctor but symptoms do not sound food related, or borax related

Signs of borax exposure include:
skin rash.
mouth infection.
vomiting.
eye irritation.
nausea.