Current "laws" on riding to vietnam?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Current "laws" on riding to vietnam?

Post by SlowJoe »

G'day folks,

I'm coming to town (pp) to pick up some prezzies and a pair of bikes as there aint much locally to me. Ive been scouring the threads on taking bikes to vietnam and asked several visa agents and get all different stories. Wondering if anyone here can chip in.

Im putting the bike in my own name or if possible jointly with my wife as she's going to ride with me on our upcoming roadtrips. Already deposited the money and the bikes are new imports. I already have a big moto licence to cover riding a +125cc here. I don't have a licence for vietnam yet but will get that sorted soon. My question is what papers do i have to prepare to take the bike with me and cross? I've heard from some that i just need the owners card, someone said i need to fill some sort of contract affirming i wont sell the bike in vietnam, but whats the story? If i need a contract to affirm i wont sell the bike where do I find it?

Anyway sorry, too many stories floating around i don't know what is what.

Cheers,
slowjoe
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Current "laws" on riding to vietnam?

Post by hanno »

There is currently a crackdown on foreigners without Vietnamese licenses after a couple of foreigners managed to get themselves killed on the Ha Giang loop.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Current "laws" on riding to vietnam?

Post by ExPenhMan »

As I understand it now, according to my VN visa agent, I can convert (but keep) my western licence to a Vietnam one where I live on the east coast. But the licence expires with my business visa extension. Can get long term licence if you take the VN exam and riding test, with appropriate visa, of course. Otherwise, many people stupidly ride in VN without a licence, invalidating insurance. It's very hairy riding in VN. Foreigners have had severe accidents or perished on the roads here. Remember also, there is not an oversupply of well functioning hospitals here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic