How to cook a steak.

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

How to cook a steak.

Post by RickyBobby »

"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: How to cook a steak.

Post by cptrelentless »

So good it takes four posts

Sent from my LG-X240 using Tapatalk

RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

cptrelentless wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:25 am So good it takes four posts

Sent from my LG-X240 using Tapatalk
My apologies, I had a malfunction. ftfy.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Cooking a good steak starts back on the farm with the type of animal. the age and what it is fed. Then there is how long it is hung, and which part of the carcas is used and called steak.
You being the cook only add the final touch.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Duncan wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:37 am Cooking a good steak starts back on the farm with the type of animal. the age and what it is fed. Then there is how long it is hung, and which part of the carcas is used and called steak.
You being the cook only add the final touch.
I'd hate to pass up a chance to further my rep as a "bitter old man" so I will take this opportunity to declare that Khmer beef is the stringiest toughest meat that I have ever eaten. I don't care which part is used, it is beyond the salvation of any marinade.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Not bitter Taa, when I cook it I beat the shit out of it to break up the sinews and then when I have it thin enough I marinade it overnight.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

the only good thing a khmer steak is for is making loklak where its cut to tiny small strips
otherwise its total shit

cooking it in a pan is a waste of a good piece of meat

fire up the BBQ
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Marinading meat has absolutely no impact on tenderness ( just google something along the lines of " does marinating meat impact on tenderness", I don't have time to put links in now), only brining or aging does.
My missus spends about 1/2 an hour at the market stall, sniffing, scratching, poking, squeezing every bit of beef they have. Usually she comes home with some beautifully tender and tasty beef. Having said that, in our restaurants I use nothing but Aussie or Kiwi beef. Costs about the same ( $10.50 for a kg of Topside, compared to around $11 for a kg of the best quality local meat), but it is generally a better cut with more flavour. I'm lucky that living in Kep now, we have a Lee's branch here. Been using them in the restaurants and at home for my own consumption, for 6 years and its very rare they don't supply good quality meat. I recommend their Aussie Rib eye Fillet steak @ $16.50 a kg btw :beer1:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

In NZ I sometimes made a marinate. Grandma's old secret recipe,, useing the juice from mountain pawpaws. It broke down the enzyme in the meat and was good on goat meat and other tough parts of meat. If used on good meat it broke it down so much it turned to mush.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

A steak needs to sit for ten minutes after you cook it. Allows it to warm through and rest, so you don't get a stone cold purple bit in the middle and it becomes less chewy. Sadly freezing them and posting them from Aus does affect the meat, you can't compare it to fresh. RIP the new Kampot abattoir, an excellent idea ruined. If you're back in the UK/EU you can get great steaks for no money in Aldi, half the price of them here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic