Christmas sermon. Trigger-warning - suck it up, snowflake

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

The Crusades

Post by britscienceteacher »

Johnsell50 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:11 pm I am also sure most of you have heard of "Battlefield Christians". When all hope is lost it is really amazing how many reach out for it when the end is nigh.
I did an internet search but couldn't find anything. I know that there's a song 'Onward Christian Soldiers', but I reckon that they're probably not as common since all these new religions have been allowed. I've read and watched a bit about The Crusades too. I'm not sure they were really Christian though. It's well documented that when their supplies ran out that they turned to the local community for 'organic food'. Maybe they thought that the 'end was nigh'...
Johnsell50
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Christmas sermon. Trigger-warning - suck it up, snowflake

Post by Johnsell50 »

It is a phenomena seen in almost every war, when soldiers are dying, many find religion they mocked before.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

"There are no atheists in foxholes"
or are there??
:beer3:
Last edited by phuketrichard on Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

SlowJoe wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:02 pm The fact that half of americans are not buying into the constant indoctrination and inundation of "the sciences" actually speaks the opposite of stupid to me meaning that theyre not simply parroting what someone told them. No surprise considering how the country was said to be founded.
But the problem is that this half are parroting and believe information someone told them, they are most likely the less educated cohort who are used to being "told information" on the news or TV , and not usually used to debating or examining the evidence for the received information. They are thus prime targets for buying into Donald Trumps fake news rhetoric, which appears to work by force of personality and targets peoples fears and emotion and disregards facts and evidence.

The old Right and Left division in politics seems to be disintegrating or at least changing and giving rise to an emerging class based division which may be predicated on education level. This seems to be a world wide phenomena, and there is some literature in the area. When I have time I will look some up.
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Partisan politics is complex and very difficult to analyse

Kuroneko wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:23 pm buying into Donald Trump
Whatever you say about Trump (and to be honest I'm absolutely clueless as to how high-level politics works), whether it's true or not, (honestly no idea how the whole thing will pan out - there have been so many reversals recently - global politics is incredibly unpredictable of late), he does seem to be dismantling the new Imperialist Expansionist Mindset that was taking hold. He may actually be pulling out of the Middle East...

In the wake of his decisions many militias and unethical groups are being exposed. He sanctioned that with his decision. And now we are seeing the writhing mass of insects that lay beneath that expansion....

...shocking and a real page turner
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Partisan politics is complex and very difficult to analyse

Post by Kuroneko »

britscienceteacher wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:36 pm
Whatever you say about Trump (and to be honest I'm absolutely clueless as to how high-level politics works), whether it's true or not, (honestly no idea how the whole thing will pan out - there have been so many reversals recently - global politics is incredibly unpredictable of late), he does seem to be dismantling the new Imperialist Expansionist Mindset that was taking hold. He may actually be pulling out of the Middle East...

In the wake of his decisions many militias and unethical groups are being exposed. He sanctioned that with his decision. And now we are seeing the writhing mass of insects that lay beneath that expansion....

That's a misquote by the way, I actually said "They are thus prime targets for buying into Donald Trumps fake news rhetoric,"

Trump’s ‘fake news’ rhetoric crops up around the globe

Press freedom advocates highlighted fresh examples on Monday showing how they believe President Donald Trump’s anti-media rhetoric has given foreign dictators a framework to crack down on free expression.

Over the weekend, New York Times publisher A.G. Sulzberger said that he warned the U.S. leader about the effect of his “inflammatory language” abroad. The disclosure came after Trump tweeted about his July 20 meeting with Sulzberger, saying, “Spent much time talking about the vast amounts of Fake News being put out by the media & how that Fake News has morphed into phrase, “Enemy of the People.”https://www.politico.eu/blogs/on-media/ ... n-affairs/
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Partisan politics is complex and very difficult to analyse

Post by cptrelentless »

Kuroneko wrote:
britscienceteacher wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:36 pm

That's a misquote by the way, I actually said "They are thus prime targets for buying into Donald Trumps fake news rhetoric,"

Trump’s ‘fake news’ rhetoric crops up around the globe

Press freedom advocates highlighted fresh examples on Monday showing how they believe President Donald Trump’s anti-media rhetoric has given foreign dictators a framework to crack down on free expression.

Over the weekend, New York Times publisher A.G. Sulzberger said that he warned the U.S. leader about the effect of his “inflammatory language” abroad. The disclosure came after Trump tweeted about his July 20 meeting with Sulzberger, saying, “Spent much time talking about the vast amounts of Fake News being put out by the media & how that Fake News has morphed into phrase, “Enemy of the People.”https://www.politico.eu/blogs/on-media/ ... n-affairs/
The thing with the leader of the Free World saying things are fake is that now every tinpot dictator can just say fake news to everything that contradicts the party line. it's impossible to hold anyone to account. And it's a technique straight out of Russia. Dun dun dun

Sent from my LG-X240 using Tapatalk

britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Eternal life and creationism

Johnsell50 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:13 pm It is a phenomena seen in almost every war, when soldiers are dying, many find religion they mocked before.
I'd imagine that most of them are young lads who are afraid of death. Taking solace in the idea of eternal life on your death bed doesn't do society, or the living as a whole, much good, and it's not really the point. Not that there's any harm in it of course. The flip side of that is Christians showing no interest in seeing a priest or any Christian practice on their death bed. I've heard of that too, and can understand it.

I'm with Osho on the subject: "if you're afraid of death then you don't know how to live"

The idea of eternal life gives a society-wide benefit of these people who will stand up before the barrels of guns without fear. It stops people being pushed into a slave-class by threats, no matter how severe. It also stems the residual fear from childhood. If you were terrified of death as a small child (which is of course a learned fear - nothing natural about that) then even those aspects of you that still hold that fear can rationalise it, and dispel it. As for creationism I think that for many people it gives them purpose and makes them feel like they are good - who made us otherwise, and what happens to us after death?
- No, I can't come up with a better answer, or one that makes me more comfortable (on all levels) either.

Seeing as this thread is not in the Asinine Arena I'll not go into the subconscious benefits of such beliefs, but I think they are the most fundamental and powerful. Christianity can be regarded as a philosophy too, but for most Christians that's really missing the main point.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic