Christmas sermon. Trigger-warning - suck it up, snowflake

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Christmas sermon. Trigger-warning - suck it up, snowflake

Post by StroppyChops »

Johnsell50 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:22 am Yes, a lot of bad things have been done in the name of different religions but a lot of bad things have also been done trying to obliterate religion.
This is a stunning observation, especially in the Kingdom of Wonder.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Scared by belief in NY

Post by britscienceteacher »

Belief is a very powerful thing. Some New Yorkers don't just believe in aliens, they believe that an alien invasion may possibly be on the cards. They were genuinely frightened by last night's events. Many will be asking for a probe.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

46% of American BA graduates believe in biblical creation... apparently.
Just goes to show, an education doesnt make you smart!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Johnsell50
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Johnsell50 »

Maybe it makes them smarter...
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

The fact that half of americans are not buying into the constant indoctrination and inundation of "the sciences" actually speaks the opposite of stupid to me meaning that theyre not simply parroting what someone told them. No surprise considering how the country was said to be founded.
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Your point tallies with Hardy's views...

Johnsell50 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:50 pm Maybe it makes them smarter...
It's true that belief changes people's realities. Exposure to media over a long period can instill certain beliefs, which I think partly explains the reaction we're seeing in NY. Your point isn't lost on Thomas Hardy either, quoting from The Darkling Thrush:

"That I could think there trembled through
His happy good-night air
Some blessed Hope, whereof he knew
And I was unaware."

The Darkling Thrush (By Thomas Hardy)

I leant upon a coppice gate
When Frost was spectre-grey,
And Winter's dregs made desolate
The weakening eye of day.
The tangled bine-stems scored the sky
Like strings of broken lyres,
And all mankind that haunted nigh
Had sought their household fires.

The land's sharp features seemed to be
The Century's corpse outleant,
His crypt the cloudy canopy,
The wind his death-lament.
The ancient pulse of germ and birth
Was shrunken hard and dry,
And every spirit upon earth
Seemed fervourless as I.

At once a voice arose among
The bleak twigs overhead
In a full-hearted evensong
Of joy illimited;
An aged thrush, frail, gaunt, and small,
In blast-beruffled plume,
Had chosen thus to fling his soul
Upon the growing gloom.

So little cause for carolings
Of such ecstatic sound
Was written on terrestrial things
Afar or nigh around,
That I could think there trembled through
His happy good-night air
Some blessed Hope, whereof he knew
And I was unaware.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

SlowJoe wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:02 pm The fact that half of americans are not buying into the constant indoctrination and inundation of "the sciences" actually speaks the opposite of stupid to me meaning that theyre not simply parroting what someone told them.
Yeah, but if you found one of them dying on the side of the road I bet they'd prefer you to get them to a hospital where medical science can treat them rather than you just sit with them and pray for a god to heal them. I guess you don't buy into the science of your computer, phone, car,.....either.
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Physical and spiritual are not mutually exclusive

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:51 pm Yeah, but if you found one of them dying on the side of the road I bet they'd prefer you to get them to a hospital where medical science can treat them rather than you just sit with them and pray for a god to heal them. I guess you don't buy into the science of your computer, phone, car,.....either.
The physical and the spiritual and not mutually exclusive. Read the feeding of the 5000. In the story both physical and spiritual needs are recognised. To give a reverse example I bet that you couldn't sit down to a feast with the members of one of these criminal militias (currently in the headlines) and enjoy your meal no matter how luxurious it was. But why, when the physical food and drink are so good?
Johnsell50
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Johnsell50 »

I am also sure most of you have heard of "Battlefield Christians". When all hope is lost it is really amazing how many reach out for it when the end is nigh.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:51 pm Yeah, but if you found one of them dying on the side of the road I bet they'd prefer you to get them to a hospital where medical science can treat them rather than you just sit with them and pray for a god to heal them. I guess you don't buy into the science of your computer, phone, car,.....either.
I could also go into the argument of how many accidental deaths happen at the hands of american health care providers, something on the order of i want to say 100,000 a year, but i think the main point is regardless of the constant "science science science" banner always touted, id rather be around those that have a "spirit of Christ" in them rather than be adept science men.

Science worship is cold while humanity has a warmth about it that is irrational but lovely. And i think its not controversial to say that anyone on this forum would rather be the person dying on the side of the road in american with a large portion of christians believing in a god and that we are all brothers and sisters rather than cambodia where some fucking okna will put his suv in reverse and not think twice about running you over again to avoid paying for your medical expenses.

Im not religious by any stretch of the imagination in fact Im probably more anti christian than anything. Ive been excommunicated and ostracised from my church and ive not been able to forgive the congregation or leaders yet. But im not about to say that there arent some unseen beauties christianity hits on that disillusioned anti religious people like me are all too ready to tear down. So while i hate to admit it and as much as it does bother me inside, id rather be amongst people that believe in god irrationally rather than rationally believing in nothing.

And id also add that i would at least stop at the side of the road to make sure the person is taken care of.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic