7 Reasons Not to Move to Thailand

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Cambodia is very similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqJ2ReYe8cc
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: 7 Reasons Not to Move to Thailand

Post by takeoman »

explorer wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:47 am 7 Reasons Not to Move to Thailand

Is that your opinion, or something you've heard? :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

takeoman wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:41 am Is that your opinion, or something you've heard?
This is a video I came across on youtube.

I would not say exactly the same things, but most of it is worth thinking about.

There are many different people in many different situations. It is up to each person to decide for themselves what they do.

I met a traveler who had had a few short trips in Cambodia, and was thinking about quitting a secure, well paying job in Australia, to move to Cambodia. My advice to him would be, keep your job in Australia for the time being, and have more holidays in Cambodia if you want. I got the impression he did not have large financial investments.

I have met people (particularly Americans) who say they can never go back home, because they dont have enough money. If they returned to America they would be homeless.

A man in Cambodia worked for years as an English teacher. However, he became too old. I think he is over 70. He told friends he plans to learn the Cambodian language, then become a monk and live at a temple. It will be difficult for someone over 70 to learn Khmer. He will probably be arrested for overstaying his visa before he learns Khmer.

I met a lady who migrated to Canada many years ago, but did not work in Canada long enough to be entitled to the old age pension. She spent years in Asia. She will probably have financial challenges in her old age.

Some people may find living in Cambodia or Thailand to be fun when they first arrive. As the years pass by, they may want to return home.

I think it is wise to think of the big picture, particularly a persons financial situation.

If a person leaves their home country, then returns in their old age, they man not be able to get a job.

There are some people who have investments, or a pension, or good jobs in Cambodia, who are OK.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

explorer wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:49 am
takeoman wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:41 am Is that your opinion, or something you've heard?
This is a video I came across on youtube.

I would not say exactly the same things, but most of it is worth thinking about.

There are many different people in many different situations. It is up to each person to decide for themselves what they do.

I met a traveler who had had a few short trips in Cambodia, and was thinking about quitting a secure, well paying job in Australia, to move to Cambodia. My advice to him would be, keep your job in Australia for the time being, and have more holidays in Cambodia if you want. I got the impression he did not have large financial investments.

I have met people (particularly Americans) who say they can never go back home, because they dont have enough money. If they returned to America they would be homeless.

A man in Cambodia worked for years as an English teacher. However, he became too old. I think he is over 70. He told friends he plans to learn the Cambodian language, then become a monk and live at a temple. It will be difficult for someone over 70 to learn Khmer. He will probably be arrested for overstaying his visa before he learns Khmer.

I met a lady who migrated to Canada many years ago, but did not work in Canada long enough to be entitled to the old age pension. She spent years in Asia. She will probably have financial challenges in her old age.

Some people may find living in Cambodia or Thailand to be fun when they first arrive. As the years pass by, they may want to return home.

I think it is wise to think of the big picture, particularly a persons financial situation.

If a person leaves their home country, then returns in their old age, they man not be able to get a job.

There are some people who have investments, or a pension, or good jobs in Cambodia, who are OK.
Once again it appears your expressed opinion is based on Tales from the Coffee Shop/Bar Stool(delete as appropriate). One thing that stands out is that almost none of these people you constantly meet has a name :hattip:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Do you always answer multiple choice questions this way?

Most will choose one of the options available, and if it won't fit their bill, come up with another option.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

why is all ur writing so impersonal?
sounds like ur just regurgitating someone else's thoughts.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:47 am 7 Reasons Not to Move to Thailand

I wasted 5 minutes by watching this video. Mainly it gives the following reason for not moving to Thailand:

Climate is too hot
Massive bureaucracy
You're always wrong, locals always right
Mental degradation, you enter as an adult but regrade back to your mental teen state
Hard going back home / finding work in your home country
Money matters, you will be broke soon
Lies, lies, lies. Thais are notorious liars

Now all readers can decide for themselves if these seven reasons apply to them in Cambodia or not.

Looking at the video I couldn't suppress the feeling reason number 4 hit the maker, hard.

edited for typos
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:14 am Do you always answer multiple choice questions this way?

Most will choose one of the options available, and if it won't fit their bill, come up with another option.
He seems to have misunderstood the question. I was enquiring whether "Cambodia is very similar" was his opinion or something he had heard. Then again he does have a habit of writing an essay, when a single sentence will do. :hattip:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

takeoman wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:35 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:14 am Do you always answer multiple choice questions this way?

He seems to have misunderstood the question. I was enquiring whether "Cambodia is very similar" was his opinion or something he had heard. Then again he does have a habit of writing an essay, when a single sentence will do. :hattip:
That, plus Explorer seems to prefer providing 'stories he's seen or heard' over a personal opinion.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

He's in India now exploring the slums.
Locked Previous topicNext topic