Insurance Refuses to Pay Out for British Backpacker with Broken Neck

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Insurance Refuses to Pay Out for British Backpacker with Broken Neck

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

British backpacker, 24, is stranded in a Thai hospital and may never walk again after breaking her neck while diving into a swimming pool one week into her six month trip
Published: 13:47 GMT, 16 December 2018 | Updated: 17:31 GMT, 16 December 2018
A British backpacker has been stranded in Thailand after breaking her neck in a diving accident – and may never be able to walk again.

Sophie Wilson, 24, misjudged the depth of a swimming pool a week into her dream six month trip to the Southeast Asian country.

She was rescued from drowning and rushed to hospital, fearing she was paralysed. After the 'touch and go' journey Miss Wilson from Shepshed, Leicestershire, received the news, she would be expected to pay tens of thousands for treatment.

But Miss Wilson's insurers, Insure and Go, will not cover the cost to fly her home with the medical care she needs and her family from Leicestershire are trying to raise £60,000.

Right now, her bill stands at £37,600, iNews reported after the accident on December 1.

Miss Wilson, who managed a coffee shop in the UK, said she may never be able to walk again despite having two surgeries. She is now able to move just one arm.

She told iNews: 'Initially I was in shock, I never had any reason to believe the pool to have been so shallow as people were jumping and diving in before me. I never lost consciousness.

Despite staff finding two breaks in her neck surgeons would not operate until her family guaranteed to pay for the surgery. The bill is expected to reach £60,000.

An insurance representative came to the hospital and told her she would not be paid out because it was deemed her injuries came after a 'reckless act'.

Sophie's sister 25, began a fundraising page for her.

She wrote: 'Sophie is one of the bravest women you could ever wish to meet and she is our little miracle. Our wish now is to get her home as soon as is physically possible, so that she can begin her rehabilitation programme to support the recovery process and be re-united with her loving family, after what has been the most challenging time of our lives.'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -neck.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Insurance Refuses to Pay Out for British Backpacker with Broken Neck

Post by explorer »

This is a big reason not to have insurance.

Insurance companies dont always pay out.

They might pay out on this one now it is creating bad publicity.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
snookie BRO
Expatriate
Solomon Islands

Post by snookie BRO »

I think this may be the exception rather than the norm
Rider of the storm.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

I dived into a shallow pool when I was 8yo. Hit my head.

Love and learn.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

snookie BRO wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:56 pm I think this may be the exception rather than the norm
I know of other situations where insurance companies have not done the right thing morally, in order to increase company profit.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Recklessnes is a legal out for insurers.
It is behavior that a prudent person would not do
Like diving into water without knowing there are no hazards
snookie BRO
Expatriate
Solomon Islands

Post by snookie BRO »

How many go fund me's have there been cos tourists had accident and no travel insurance?

It's one of those things you're buggered if you do, but more importantly more buggered if u don't.

:BangHead:
Rider of the storm.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

frank lee bent wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:11 pm Recklessnes is a legal out for insurers.

I remember a few years back on the Gold Coast of Australia where a pensioner couple went overseas for a holiday, and while they were gone the kids next door had a party. One of the kids came onto the pensioners property and dived into the canal and broke their neck becoming paralyzed.
No insurance would pay out so they sued the old pensioners for not having a sign up saying No Diving Allowed

The kid won the case in court and was awarded millions , Not sure how the appeal went but still cost the pensioners heaps in legal fees.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

frank lee bent wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:11 pm Recklessnes is a legal out for insurers.
To be fair, it was a swimming pool, not uncharted waters. And she says that others had dived in before her. It was hardly reckless, but a bit stupid not to check the depth before diving headfirst. Always dive shallow first time. One bad decision.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

explorer wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:08 am This is a big reason not to have insurance.
Here's some free relevant and effective insurance. Courtesy of Canadian Red Cross :D

Note I'm not attempting to be flippant here, with respect to the accident, think of this as a brief intervention!

In familiar and unfamiliar water, always enter feet first, the first time to be sure of the water depth and be aware of any hazards. Diving headfirst into water should be avoided unless the individual is properly trained and certain that the water is deep enough.

Most in-ground home and hotel pools, even those fitted with a diving board, are unsafe for diving, particularly for adult males. The deep end is often too short and the diver can strike his head on the slope of the pool leading up toward the shallow end.

Avoid alcohol when swimming or diving-even small amounts can increase the risk of injury.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic