Online Dating

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Online Dating

Post by explorer »

These suggestions are for people getting girlfriends or wives in the future. Not for those already in happy relationships.

Money

Some foreign men date girls who dont work, and they give them a regular income. In some cases, more than they would earn working. It is in the interest of those girls to continue getting the money. So they say and do whatever it takes to have the man believe that they genuinely love him. When the money stops, the girl is gone.

I suggest dating educated girls who can earn their own money. There are thousands of them. If you date a university student, she should be able to earn her own money after she finishes university. If she loves you when you are not giving her money, it is much more likely to be genuine love. With educated girls you are also more likely to have meaningful communication. I would still pay when taking her to a restaurant, for example, but not provide her with a salary for doing nothing.

When someone is interested in marrying an educated girl who earns her own money, her and her family are still concerned about the financial situation of the future husband. If he has no money, he should not expect to marry her.

It is also very important to learn about Cambodian culture. Many things are not like other cultures.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

explorer wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:10 pm
I suggest dating educated girls who can earn their own money. There are thousands of them. If you date a university student, she should be able to earn her own money after she finishes university. If she loves you when you are not giving her money, it is much more likely to be genuine love.
then why would she need to marry an old man for money when she can marry another well educated guy her own age who she actually fancies, times are changing in Cambodia brother, rich white men arent top of the food chain anymore
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

explorer wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:10 pm I suggest dating educated girls who can earn their own money. There are thousands of them. If you date a university student, she should be able to earn her own money after she finishes university. If she loves you when you are not giving her money, it is much more likely to be genuine love. With educated girls you are also more likely to have meaningful communication. I would still pay when taking her to a restaurant, for example, but not provide her with a salary for doing nothing.
Looking forward eagerly to those step by step instructions for a novice barang that doesn't speak khmer as to how to court these girls.. :wave:

I'm sure you have the required knowledge and wisdom to spread the word and share your experiences to make the world a happier place for all of us members. :bow:

I have full confidence in your abilities to deliver same.. :hattip:
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:15 pm times are changing in Cambodia brother, rich white men arent top of the food chain anymore
This
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:15 pm then why would she need to marry an old man for money when she can marry another well educated guy her own age who she actually fancies, times are changing in Cambodia brother, rich white men arent top of the food chain anymore
She doesnt need to marry an old man. In this culture age is not as important as in western culture. She may happen to like someone who is older.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:10 pm These suggestions are for people getting girlfriends or wives in the future. Not for those already in happy relationships.

Money

Some foreign men date girls who dont work, and they give them a regular income. In some cases, more than they would earn working. It is in the interest of those girls to continue getting the money. So they say and do whatever it takes to have the man believe that they genuinely love him. When the money stops, the girl is gone.

I suggest dating educated girls who can earn their own money. There are thousands of them. If you date a university student, she should be able to earn her own money after she finishes university. If she loves you when you are not giving her money, it is much more likely to be genuine love. With educated girls you are also more likely to have meaningful communication. I would still pay when taking her to a restaurant, for example, but not provide her with a salary for doing nothing.

When someone is interested in marrying an educated girl who earns her own money, her and her family are still concerned about the financial situation of the future husband. If he has no money, he should not expect to marry her.

It is also very important to learn about Cambodian culture. Many things are not like other cultures.
You've got this one saved under some short-cut, so it seems.

I suggest you edit it, and add some shades of grey, instead of this black and wide picture painted with the coarsest brush available in the Kingdom, and it might become informative. Now it's just a platitude.

Just my two cents.
KOKO
Tourist
United States of America

Post by KOKO »

After ending up in a ridiculous relationship with a bar girl from Snooky I decided to work an online dating site called Asiandating.com

I was amazed at the quality of the women on the site. Pretty, educated and employed.

I would highly recommend meeting someone this way, but be realistic. :thumb:
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

KOKO wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:57 am After ending up in a ridiculous relationship with a bar girl from Snooky I decided to work an online dating site called Asiandating.com

I was amazed at the quality of the women on the site. Pretty, educated and employed.

Do you have to pay?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Surely this is a universal thing, not especially Cambodian. All families from all countries, rich or poor, prefer to see their children marry someone with prospects rather than a penniless bum. Everyone wants the best for their kids.
The major difference is that Cambodian (Asian) kids are more likely than westerners to listen to their parents' opinion. But as others have said, this is changing.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

explorer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:16 am
KOKO wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:57 am After ending up in a ridiculous relationship with a bar girl from Snooky I decided to work an online dating site called Asiandating.com

Do you have to pay?
Yes, last time I was a member I think it was around $50 or $60 for a 3 month premium membership. I've also enjoyed success with the site which resulted in a couple of enjoyable relationships with educated independent women.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic