Motorcycle GPS trackers. Where in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Re: Motorcycle GPS trackers. Where in Phnom Penh?

Post by LaudJohn »

Lots of replies, full of unwanted opinions and advice, but no answer to the question.

No worries, got the answer I wanted with one question to a Khmer friend.

Tracker is installed, with remote engine cut out feature for $40 and $1 a month fee.

PS. Not much different to TOF.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

LaudJohn wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:00 am Lots of replies, full of unwanted opinions and advice, but no answer to the question.

Tracker is installed, with remote engine cut out feature for $40 and $1 a month fee.

After having this for awhile, report back to us on whether it flattens the battery, and if so how long does it take.

A lot of people have motorbikes stolen. This may be a worthwhile option for others.

I know someone who has had 3 motorbikes stolen.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

explorer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:12 am
LaudJohn wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:00 am Lots of replies, full of unwanted opinions and advice, but no answer to the question.

After having this for awhile, report back to us on whether it flattens the battery, and if so how long does it take.

A lot of people have motorbikes stolen. This may be a worthwhile option for others.

I know someone who has had 3 motorbikes stolen.

Me too. I know someone who had stolen 3 motorbikes.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

explorer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:12 am I know someone who has had 3 motorbikes stolen.
The first sign of madness is doing the same thing again and again, and expecting to get different results.

After the first one, I would be saying, what do I need to do differently?

I would get a chain and lock, for example.

If it was stolen from a guest house, I would probably move to another guest house.

Theft occurs much less in places with security cameras.

I am interested in knowing more about the GPS trackers, and whether they really turn out to work well.

I have a bicycle. I bought an alarm which will go off if the bicycle is moved. I have never been in a situation to use it. I stay in guest houses where I keep the bicycle inside. The also have security cameras. The bicycle gets moved often, as other bicycles and motorbikes come and go. There would be too many false alarms, which would disturb everybody.

If the GPS flattens the battery too quickly, that will be a problem. If the GPS is in a place where it can easily be removed, then it may not be very effective.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

explorer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:06 am
explorer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:12 am I know someone who has had 3 motorbikes stolen.
The first sign of madness is doing the same thing again and again, and expecting to get different results.

After the first one, I would be saying, what do I need to do differently?

I would get a chain and lock, for example.

If it was stolen from a guest house, I would probably move to another guest house.

Theft occurs much less in places with security cameras.

I am interested in knowing more about the GPS trackers, and whether they really turn out to work well.

I have a bicycle. I bought an alarm which will go off if the bicycle is moved. I have never been in a situation to use it. I stay in guest houses where I keep the bicycle inside. The also have security cameras. The bicycle gets moved often, as other bicycles and motorbikes come and go. There would be too many false alarms, which would disturb everybody.

If the GPS flattens the battery too quickly, that will be a problem. If the GPS is in a place where it can easily be removed, then it may not be very effective.

The most effective way of not having your bicycle stolen is to remove the front wheel . It certainly slows the thieves down.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Because they can’t pick up those heavy bicycles.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

LaudJohn wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:00 am No worries, got the answer I wanted with one question to a Khmer friend.
Now you know where to go next time if you have a question.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Duncan wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:28 am The most effective way of not having your bicycle stolen is to remove the front wheel . It certainly slows the thieves down.
That is a good idea if you are going away for some time, but it is too inconvenient to do every time you get off your bike.

Another challenge with a bicycle is lights. You should have good lights. But lights get stolen. Cambodians also touch everything. They turn on lights to see them working. You may not always notice. When night time comes the battery is flat. I finished up with a small light I could put in my pocket, but the battery life is too short. I am trying to work out a way to have good lights, which can easily be removed for recharging, but wont get stolen.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

explorer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:20 am
Duncan wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:28 am The most effective way of not having your bicycle stolen is to remove the front wheel . It certainly slows the thieves down.
That is a good idea if you are going away for some time, but it is too inconvenient to do every time you get off your bike.

Another challenge with a bicycle is lights. You should have good lights. But lights get stolen. Cambodians also touch everything. They turn on lights to see them working. You may not always notice. When night time comes the battery is flat. I finished up with a small light I could put in my pocket, but the battery life is too short. I am trying to work out a way to have good lights, which can easily be removed for recharging, but wont get stolen.

I only ride my bike when there's a full moon.
Spoiler:
Duh
ariarianna
Tourist

Post by ariarianna »

LaudJohn wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:00 pm Hi All,

I would like to get a GPS tracker on Scoopy motor, in case of theft. Anyone able to tell me where I can get one installed in PP and approximare cost.

Cheers
LJ
Spybike and spytec trackers do not rely on motorcycle batteries. They have their own built-in battery and obviously need to be recharged regularly, but I think the battery life of the seatpost and top tracker is quite long. The battery life of these devices can last for two weeks or more, and the accuracy of the tracking is generally good for our purposes.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic