Air Traffic Controller Wanted for Sihanoukville International Airport

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
Mr. Yuck
Expatriate
Bhutan

Re: Air Traffic Controller Wanted for Sihanoukville International Airport

Post by Mr. Yuck »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:12 am
Freightdog wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:22 pm It reads like a typical job description written by an *HR type, to me. No suggestion of any hiring of unlicensed controllers. Unlicensed operators/controllers don't slip through the net very often at all, let alone being actively recruited.

Yuck and Kammekor, you both really should try harder. Maybe provide some detail to your 'alarmist' conclusion?

*edited for clarity. Plus I have an increasing dislike of HR types...
No need for clarification I believe, it's actually really simple. If a license is a requirement for the job, even an *HR type will put it in the job description. And if it's not there, it's not a requirement.

And it's not there.

The fact they might hire someone licensed in the end is not important at this time. What is important, is that the airport management takes the freedom to possibly hire someone NOT licensed. That by itself tells a story about the culture in that organization.
Exactly. It's not there. I work in aviation and this looks bleek at best.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Mr. Yuck wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:44 am I work in aviation and this looks bleek at best.
In what capacity? By PM if you wish...
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Arget wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:42 am Maybe it is targeted at a particular person
If this were in the UK, I'd be inclined to agree without reservation.
In cambodia, would they follow suit?

The age old thing- a job description written around a particular person that is already earmarked for the position, but has to be advertised so that it is seen to be impartial.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:12 am
Freightdog wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:22 pm It reads like a typical job description written by an *HR type, to me. No suggestion of any hiring of unlicensed controllers. Unlicensed operators/controllers don't slip through the net very often at all, let alone being actively recruited.

Yuck and Kammekor, you both really should try harder. Maybe provide some detail to your 'alarmist' conclusion?

*edited for clarity. Plus I have an increasing dislike of HR types...
No need for clarification I believe, it's actually really simple. If a license is a requirement for the job, even an *HR type will put it in the job description. And if it's not there, it's not a requirement.

And it's not there.

The fact they might hire someone licensed in the end is not important at this time. What is important, is that the airport management takes the freedom to possibly hire someone NOT licensed. That by itself tells a story about the culture in that organization.
...and where is MH370?*

At present, It appears that they simply opened the floodgates to an unmanageable amount of applications from dreamers...

*rhetorical, no answer actually required
Mr. Yuck
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by Mr. Yuck »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:32 pm
Mr. Yuck wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:44 am I work in aviation and this looks bleek at best.
In what capacity? By PM if you wish...
ICAO & Blackhawk training
nouseforaname
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nouseforaname »

In the USA, you learn on the job. No prior experience needed..
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

nouseforaname wrote:In the USA, you learn on the job. No prior experience needed..
Much BS. Pay no attention.

https://www.howtobecome.com/how-to-beco ... controller

Have to go to a special FAA program, get hired by age 31, pass exams, must retire by age 56.
nouseforaname
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nouseforaname »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:53 pm
nouseforaname wrote:In the USA, you learn on the job. No prior experience needed..
Much BS. Pay no attention.

https://www.howtobecome.com/how-to-beco ... controller

Have to go to a special FAA program, get hired by age 31, pass exams, must retire by age 56.
You are correct, YOU paid no attention..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic