How reliable is Cambodian Company OpenNet's Service?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Re: How reliable is Cambodian Company OpenNet's Service?

Post by Sidewalker »

fax wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:20 am
Sidewalker wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:13 am Opennet offers a 50Mb fiber optic connection for $118 a month.
You're still 50 short and they don't have the necessary uplink peering to support it.

What you don't understand is that they will sell you speed based on the capacity of the router you connect to. Your speed will depend on how many neighbors in your area are pushed through the same pipe. Most companies here route dozens of customers through the same pipe leading to all sorts of interesting dilemmas like shared IP addresses, randomly interrupted sessions and so forth. Your so called 10 Mbps dedicated fiber connection is split between you and other overcharging neighbors.

Speedtest is a hoax and you are being scammed. Fire at the messenger, you incels!
Are you so arrogant by nature, or you have some effort to do for it?
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Your $20 OpenNet connection goes hot and cold fast like your virgin dick mate.
Last edited by fax on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Sidewalker wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:34 am I really thought, after reading this topic, that I was on a other forum :facepalm:

You are .

I have had OpenNet since they originally started here , which is about ten years ? and think they give pretty good service for your dollar.

About two months ago we were having problems with the router in Takhmau and after a phone call to them they came about 3 hours later , only to tell my 9 year old the router needed replacing at a cost of $28. [ After instructions from me ] She told the OpenNet guy she didn't have any money as she is only a school girl the same as her two sisters, so we would have to change to new service providers, to the other guys that have adverts stuck everywhere in our street, will give free routers to new customers.
Spoiler:
lies, lies and more lies
He made a quick call and the result was we received a free router, so as he left I gave him $5.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I'm on Opennet's 7Mbps fiber plan and get about 20Mbps down/up. After I lost signal recently they connected me to a closer node and I got 50Mbps - but only for an hour or so after they left. Anyway when you pay 5mo, get 1 free, works out under $14/mo.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Rogue
Expatriate
Honduras

Post by Rogue »

fax wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:29 am Your $20 OpenNet connection goes hot and cold fast like your virgin dick mate.
Why don't you take a vitamin and chill out! It's Cambodia, so I don't think anybody here is a virgin. Even if he's a virgin, you have no reason to shame him for it.

Furthermore, to educate your simple mind, an Incel is different from a MGTOW, and just because men go MGTOW doesn't mean they hate women or can't get laid. It just means they don't want to spend their life paying for another, probably bitchy, person's life. Only a fool would want that. Are you married or divorced?
lidsville
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by lidsville »

Wow!!! Y'all are still at it? Yes, you found me out, I'm a "Born Again" virgin! And, since you're such a welcoming bunch i'm going to go to all the old folks homes and bingo parlors hanging up posters of how great the retirement community in Cambodia is! I'm spreading the word!
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I have had sex with a lady and I have OpenNet, so I feel I have something to add. I paid $250 for 2km of fibre optic wire to my shed out in Kleang Ler in Shv. Technically I should get 25Mbps, it's about that much to Hong Kong. Any further and it dies off, see the thread about undersea cables for this one. latency shaves a bit off, within Cambodia it's pretty much wire speed. I'm pretty sure the KR ripped up everything made of copper so I doubt any of it terminates in wires.
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

I used opennet at a precious apartment and didn't find it too bad. But this was a few years ago and things can change. had online for 1 year at my apartment on sisowath quay and didn't renew as the service was so bad. I had complained previously about ezecom but their service and speed was much better albeit for a higher price.

An important point made is that the advertised speed of the service they sell (both online and ezecom, probably opennet too) is to their locally hosted website. As soon as you start surfing overseas it drops off. Another important factor is your location and how many other users are located nearby. This one is hard to know and hence one person's experience may differ greatly from another's based on their location.

I use metphone at my house in kep and that seems to be the fastest of all 4 I have tried but the experience in pp could be very different
lidsville
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by lidsville »

Next question for the cynical bunch of old farts... Is it worth shipping my cars there, or will they get jacked before they're off ship? They require 91+ octane which I'm guessing goes for a few coconut a litre. Thanks in advance!!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

cptrelentless wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:44 am I have had sex with a lady and I have OpenNet, so I feel I have something to add. I paid $250 for 2km of fibre optic wire to my shed out in Kleang Ler in Shv. Technically I should get 25Mbps, it's about that much to Hong Kong. Any further and it dies off, see the thread about undersea cables for this one. latency shaves a bit off, within Cambodia it's pretty much wire speed. I'm pretty sure the KR ripped up everything made of copper so I doubt any of it terminates in wires.
Just now, PP to Sydney:

Not bad for a 7Mbps connection!
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic