I can not imagine Cambodia being any worse that Tijuana or Mumbai

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: I can not imagine Cambodia being any worse that Tijuana or Mumbai

Post by newkidontheblock »

explorer wrote:Most relationship problems could be solved if men dated educated girls with their own jobs, who dont expect to be given money. If she loves you when you are not giving her money, there is a much greater chance it may be genuine love.
If she’s willing to sell all her worldly possessions, and send the money via Western Union to bail the man out, then it’s genuine love for sure.

Back to this most interesting thread about personal safety in Cambodia.

The good thing about Cambodia is that crime tends to be bag snatches, not pickpockets, not armed robberies, not random gang shootings.
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

LaudJohn wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:04 am
lidsville wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:55 am , from what I've seen on this board you can't help but get jacked no matter where you live.
What do you mean by "get jacked" ????

Lidsville means that in Mumbai, Tiajuana, Cambodia (but Cambodia is not a city), or any major city in the US, you are certain to be car jacked if you are driving a car. Correct me please, Lidsville if I am wrong.
Ricky Dunn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ricky Dunn »

I've been in PP for 6 months now - the GOOD: I love the cheap booze, very nice people, no guns, no crime, no Mexicans, cheap rents, fairly clean air, great cheap public transportation, lots of restaurants, very few power outs, easy visa shit.

The BAD; the food sucks and you must be careful what you eat and drink or you shit the place up, supermarkets have very little Western food, no mail service, can't find and buy large size clothes or shoes, electric is too expensive, noise is everywhere, traffic is insane and walking around the streets is to be done very very carefully.
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

Ricky Dunn wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:47 am I've been in PP for 6 months now - the GOOD: I love the cheap booze, very nice people, no guns, no crime, no Mexicans, cheap rents, fairly clean air, great cheap public transportation, lots of restaurants, very few power outs, easy visa shit.

The BAD; the food sucks and you must be careful what you eat and drink or you shit the place up, supermarkets have very little Western food, no mail service, can't find and buy large size clothes or shoes, electric is too expensive, noise is everywhere, traffic is insane and walking around the streets is to be done very very carefully.

I'm not sure what PP you are referring to. The booze is pissy, the people are very nice superficially, there are plenty of guns and Mexicans (Sanchez, who murdered a massage girl), rent in cheap areas is undesirable. I will agree on the electric, noise, and traffic though.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Ricky Dunn wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:47 am I've been in PP for 6 months now - the GOOD: I love the cheap booze, very nice people, no guns, no crime, no Mexicans, cheap rents, fairly clean air, great cheap public transportation, lots of restaurants, very few power outs, easy visa shit.

We traded empty streets and easy pedestrian days for stable electricity. Meh.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

explorer wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:28 pm Most relationship problems could be solved if men dated educated girls with their own jobs, who dont expect to be given money. If she loves you when you are not giving her money, there is a much greater chance it may be genuine love.
In principle i agree. Though, if my wife is anything to go by, the better the job, and the higher their salary (or "commissions" they receive through their job) tends to lead them to be more careful with how money is spent and saved. For example... she always wants a $100 bill when i get paid even though she is in the process of a 6 figure transfer to my UK bank. Why? I put it down to the ingrained sense that the man must give the wife money... need doesn't come into it tbh.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:07 am The good thing about Cambodia is that crime tends to be bag snatches, not pickpockets, not armed robberies, not random gang shootings.
Some of bag snatches can be quite violent, and people can be seriously injured. For example, people can be knocked over or dragged along the ground. Bag snatches are now occurring from people riding motorbikes. These people often get knocked off their motorbike while traveling at some speed.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

explorer wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:40 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:07 am The good thing about Cambodia is that crime tends to be bag snatches, not pickpockets, not armed robberies, not random gang shootings.
Some of bag snatches can be quite violent, and people can be seriously injured. For example, people can be knocked over or dragged along the ground. Bag snatches are now occurring from people riding motorbikes. These people often get knocked off their motorbike while traveling at some speed.
That is certainly seen this happen on Mubbai, Tiajuana, and Cambodia (although Cambodia is not a city), to the point that the victim could no longer stand up. Lesson learned: do not carry a bag. Carry things inside your underwear, next to your junk. Safest place!
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

I went to Tiajuana 20 years ago. It was great.
Apparently it’s run by those cartel chaps now.
Rogue
Expatriate
Honduras

Post by Rogue »

davegorman wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:33 pm I went to Tiajuana 20 years ago. It was great.
Apparently it’s run by those cartel chaps now.
TJ is safe as long as you don't intermingle with the cartels, have a bit of street sense, don't flash any wealth and aren't out in the small hours. It's just like any other city with a pop. of 2m :plus1:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic