I can not imagine Cambodia being any worse that Tijuana or Mumbai

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: I can not imagine Cambodia being any worse that Tijuana or Mumbai

Post by phuketrichard »

The bag snatching, including those who have their bags stolen when coming from the airport.
The large number of people killed or injured in road accidents.
The theft.
The scams.
The drug deaths.
The murders.
Even the large number of men who get scammed by girls who they believe are genuinely in love with them.
All of the above happens in just about any 3rd world country, but like most yellow journalism news outlets, this is what is reported.
what % of the total # of visitors does this happen to?
i'd say less than .0005% ( i see figures of around 5,000,000 for 2017 so that would mean less than 2,500 have any kind of problem

Most expats/tourists see the positive of living/visiting an have a great time.
MODS: curious about the mention of the age of most of here.
how about a poll?

under 25
25-35
35-45
45-55
over 55

Also a poll
Was Camboida the first SE asia country you chose to live in?

Yes
No
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

over 55
yes
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:53 pm All of the above happens in just about any 3rd world country
You still see people who are completely unaware of the risks.

You see European girls with backpacks carrying an expensive camera, walking around alone, sometimes in places where there are very few people.

You see people going to an ATM, withdrawing money. I tell them, the Cambodian man standing near by is watching how much money you withdraw, so he can ring his friends up the road, who may rob you. I tell them to go straight to the guest house, and leave most of their money in their room.

There are still people coming from the airport with a bag where it can easily be snatched.

etc etc

People should be warned.
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:53 pm what % of the total # of visitors does this happen to?
If you look at all of the things which can happen to people, including theft, scams, getting sick from the food, etc etc. I think it is the majority.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

If they made a flyer to hand out to everyone on arrival, highlighting the concerns that you raise, no one would leave their hotel room.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:53 pm If they made a flyer to hand out to everyone on arrival, highlighting the concerns that you raise, no one would leave their hotel room.
Not true.

Many of us are aware of the risks, and take a sensible approach to avoid them.

I only carry enough money with me to spend for a relatively short time. I dont carry a camera. I often dont carry a phone. I dont look like I am carrying anything valuable. There is little reason to think about robbing me.

You will meet some people who dont think it is safe to leave valuables in their room, so they go around with a back pack containing all of their valuables. Then they display an expensive camera to get even more attention. When they go to an ATM they count their money in a way that those around can see how much they have.

When I come from the airport, I have nothing where it could be snatched.

Some people have bags which can easily be snatched.

etc etc

There are many things all of us can do to minimize the risk. If people know the risks they can avoid them.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:35 pm
explorer wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:28 pm Even the large number of men who get scammed by girls who they believe are genuinely in love with them.
You always scare the hell out of me. I must be one them, right?
I dont know you or your girl, so I dont know.

From the time you have spent with her, and knowing her, what do you think?
gaplem
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by gaplem »

Carrying money is not a problem if you keep it in your underwear !

explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Most relationship problems could be solved if men dated educated girls with their own jobs, who dont expect to be given money. If she loves you when you are not giving her money, there is a much greater chance it may be genuine love.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:20 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:35 pm
explorer wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:28 pm Even the large number of men who get scammed by girls who they believe are genuinely in love with them.
You always scare the hell out of me. I must be one them, right?
I dont know you or your girl, so I dont know.

From the time you have spent with her, and knowing her, what do you think?
To be honest, I think your knowledge about Cambodia is too superficial make the comments the way you made them. You seem to have some experience in the 'Uni-studying-youngsters-scene' as well as with hookers, but there's a large world beyond that to explore.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

explorer wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:17 pm
If you look at all of the things which can happen to people, including theft, scams, getting sick from the food, etc etc. I think it is the majority.
I don't think getting sick from the food should really count.

I do agree that some people are completely unaware of the risks, however this is not a phenomenon tied exclusively to SEA. I personally don't think that PP is any unsafer than the majority of capital cities around the world. I do think that when people come here they seem to let their guard down.

For instance, I wouldn't walk through some areas of London late a night, this is common sense. but when tourists come here they either don't remember that or think it isn't the same.

Currently London has a huge problem with watch snatching, to the point in which a lot of people I know with a decent watch have stopped wearing them. The same thought process should apply anywhere you visit.

Have never felt the need to wear a bum bag. I thought that is what pockets were for.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic