Visiting Preah Vihear

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
davegorman
BANNED
France

Re: Visiting Preah Vihear

Post by davegorman »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:01 am I’m so excited I could just about explode.
Left or right?

(Super pictures by the way)
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Dave we took a private taxi - he stayed near our guesthouse, drove us to the temple and will drive us home. $250 plus something for accommodation.

The trip was just under 7 hours but we made several coffee / lunch / loo stops.
The road up is excellent until the last bit through the National Park.

We are staying at Preah Vihear Boutique Hotel - it’s very close to the temple. We took a Ute up to the top- what a trip!!!

If I did it again I’d leave a couple of hours earlier and visit Koh Ker on the way up. We are going to come back to do Koh Ker.

To be honest the hotel isn’t the best service but the pool, restaurant, rooms and gardens etc more than make up for it.

I had a very pleasant couple of hours sitting at the bar.

The temple itself is like none other. The layout is fascinating. I’ve visited more temples than most people I know but this one is really something different.

The different styles makes you feel like you’ve visited several temples. One area could be Bantay Srei, another is Ta Phnom, come around the corner and you could be walking down one of Angkor Wat’s corridors.

A tick off my bucket list. :)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Omg I forgot to mention the war stuff! It’s unbelievable, it makes it feel so close and real.

There are fox holes, tunnels and bunkers all around and inside the temple complex. It’s so fascinating.

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

rozzieoz wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:24 pm ....we took a private taxi - he stayed near our guesthouse, drove us to the temple and will drive us home. $250 plus something for accommodation.

That's from Phnom Penh and back over a couple of days or what? I've never been there, would love to check it out.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Splashback
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Splashback »

I agree it's a wild ride to the top. Loved it. If you bring your own moto they will test it before you go up. Manual only I think. Otherwise it's about $5/person on the back of a moto. The fighting was recent up that way. I was amazed by how heavily guarded it was earlier this year. With a big fuck off Cambodian flag on the top :). Lovely.

Koh Ker is also unique, a beautiful pyramid that you can climb. Usually few visitors.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

John Bingham wrote:
rozzieoz wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:24 pm ....we took a private taxi - he stayed near our guesthouse, drove us to the temple and will drive us home. $250 plus something for accommodation.

That's from Phnom Penh and back over a couple of days or what? I've never been there, would love to check it out.
Two nights away.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

View of Thailand:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic