Where to rent small house/cottage near PP?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Where to rent small house/cottage near PP?

Post by timmydownawell »

If I wanted to rent a small house or bungalow with a small patch of land (and by that I mean a yard, not acreage) close to PP where should I look?

I'd still like to have a decent market in close proximity and access to PP by bus or water taxi in < 1 hour (I don't own a moto and would rather not). But I'd still like some kind of western food within reach (burger, pizza, pasta etc).

If the rent is cheap I am happy to spend money adding hot shower and AC etc.

Where should I look? Thinking of having a wander around Ta Khmao but open to suggestions.

Type of place I'd like:

(hope this works, imgur is broken)
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Where to rent small house/cottage near PP?

Post by Duncan »

About 3km south of Takhmau there is a big new bridge that crosses over the Tonli Basic. Go over the bridge and look Left , Right and straight ahead.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

And if you need hot water for a shower. just buy 50 m of black piping and lay on the ground you will be surprised at how much hot water it holds and how hot it gets.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Duncan wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:14 pm And if you need hot water for a shower. just buy 50 m of black piping and lay on the ground you will be surprised at how much hot water it holds and how hot it gets.
Haha I am way ahead of you. Was planning on making a similar system but with an insulated tank on the roof, just as an exercise.

And yeah I will go exploring down that way, cheers.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:38 pm
Duncan wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:14 pm And if you need hot water for a shower. just buy 50 m of black piping and lay on the ground you will be surprised at how much hot water it holds and how hot it gets.
Haha I am way ahead of you. Was planning on making a similar system but with an insulated tank on the roof, just as an exercise.

And yeah I will go exploring down that way, cheers.
The Number 2 city bus now goes all the way to that bridge and stops. You should also be able to catch a remorg from Takhmau market to the other side of the bridge no problem.
gaplem
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by gaplem »

Also interested, as I dom't want to live in an overpriced apartment as they all seem to be in PP.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Why do you want to stay in PP. You can go to any of the smaller towns, and be near the market, restaurants, and many other things.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

explorer wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:34 pm Why do you want to stay in PP. You can go to any of the smaller towns, and be near the market, restaurants, and many other things.
Well I have just been for a look around in Battambang, but I decided in the end I'd prefer to be within reach of the city's facilities, international airport etc.

Open to suggestions ofc.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:02 am
explorer wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:34 pm Why do you want to stay in PP. You can go to any of the smaller towns, and be near the market, restaurants, and many other things.
Well I have just been for a look around in Battambang, but I decided in the end I'd prefer to be within reach of the city's facilities, international airport etc.

Open to suggestions ofc.
Everybody has their likes and dislikes, and their preference as to where they want to live.

I suggest visit several towns and see what you like.

I really dislike PP. One reason is the traffic, and the high risk of having an accident.

If you live in PP, but a long way out, you are far from everything, and still have the traffic.

If you go to another town of your choosing, there is much less traffic, you can be near the market, restaurants, etc. and you can take a bus to PP on the occasions when you need to go there.

In most other towns, rents are cheaper.

I actually dont stay in one place the whole time, but spend time in various places.

I know, not everyone thinks like me. Decide for yourself.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

explorer wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:59 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:02 am

Open to suggestions ofc.
Everybody has their likes and dislikes, and their preference as to where they want to live.

I suggest visit several towns and see what you like.

I really dislike PP. One reason is the traffic, and the high risk of having an accident.

If you live in PP, but a long way out, you are far from everything, and still have the traffic.

If you go to another town of your choosing, there is much less traffic, you can be near the market, restaurants, etc. and you can take a bus to PP on the occasions when you need to go there.

In most other towns, rents are cheaper.

I actually dont stay in one place the whole time, but spend time in various places.

I know, not everyone thinks like me. Decide for yourself.
For timmy, Takhmau is still a good option , cause,, like myself, not having a moto and the heavy traffic is not a problem when there are new aircon buses on the route to PP.
Besides that, Takhmau has everything that PP has .

For those that have never been to the Takhmau riverside on a Sunday night there is a real carnival atmosphere with a large stage with performers , cars for kids to drive, jumping trampoline and one, sometimes two of those air castles for kids. Hundreds of people eating out and stalls selling stuff. Comparing it to the PP Night Market, it would be ten times bigger.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic