Too many people dying young

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Dumbinic
Tourist
United States of America

Re: Too many people dying young

Post by Dumbinic »

For centuries people died very young, about 50% died before the age of 5 and only 20% reached the age of 25.
This is true. It is also true that in the 200,000 years that we have been the dominant species on our 4.5 billion year old planet - about 0.04% of the age of our planet - we have ingeniously managed to colonize the entire world whilst at the same time killing off other species at rates of a 1000 times faster than natural extinction rates. And this is going up - we have wiped out 60% of mammals, birds, fish and reptiles since 1970.

In the span of our 200,000 year hegemony we spent 190,000 years (95% of it) living in groups of nomadic foragers and hunter gatherers numbering around a mere 150 to 300 people. While life was clearly no fanciful idyll with life expectancy of about 30 years warfare was rare and limited to skirmishes were few died, food was plentiful, famine and outbreaks of fatal contagious diseases were almost non existent.

10000 years ago (5% of our time on earth, 0.002% of the age of the earth) we started living in permanent settlements that turned into cities.

7000 years ago Jericho was the largest city on earth with a whopping population of 2000 people.

2500 years ago Ur in Mespotamia had a population of 100,000 people.

1000 years ago (0.5% of our time on earth, 0.0002% of the age of the earth) Nimrud in Iraq had 7000 people.

Fast forward to the Industrial Revolution that happened a mere 300 years ago (0.15% of our time on earth, 0.00006% of the age of earth) the world's population grew by about 57% to 700 million. It would reach 1 billion 200 years ago. In the last 100 years the increase in world population has been three times greater than during the entire previous 200,000 years with a gigantic leap from 1.5 billion in 1900 to 6.1 billion in 2000.

In the 7000 years since 2000 people living in Jericho the biggest city on earth, Tokyo, now has 38 million people living in it with a further 80 cities having populations of more than 3 million people.

It is estimated that in our 200,000 years around 108 billion people have ever lived on our planet which means that today's population size makes up 6.5% of the total number of people ever born.

The majority of people living in cities has only been since 1960 (0.025% of our time on earth, 0.00001% of the age of earth).

The technological revolution began around 40 years ago and global communication has been around for about 25 years.

We exist in an era of unprecedented acceleration yet in evolutionary terms we are still little different to the bands of hunter gatherers that emerged a mere 200,000 years ago and lived largely unchanged lives for 190,000 years.

And people wonder why there has been an outbreak of mental illness in the last 40 years.

:dragonchase:
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Dumbinic, I have read your story, and I commiserate with you. I am sorry for your pain. I had some other topic I was discussing, which did not do justice to you and your plight specifically, which I want to attend to now more specifically.

Please get help. Do your best to choose life. Figure it out and don't give up. I understand how exhausting and depressing it could be to live with constant pain. You say you can take Oxy, but are a recovering addict and you are hesitant; that to me doesn't equate to not caring enough about yourself and wanting to die. Lets see here. I want to die, vs: heavy-duty pain med's that can make you feel functional. Hmmm. Doesn't seem like a hard choice.

Can you get any kind of pension disability income? Bro, please sort our your life and figure out your pain management, and then your financial plan and then come to Cambodia and enjoy.

Just my 2 cents.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

He has the move well planned. He is doing fine financially. And the pain is decreasing as time goes on. He will do just fine with his move.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Captain wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:33 am Hi Brooklyn Boy. Why didn't you follow your ketamine-fueled friend into Mexico? Thank you and take care!

na i am good.. unsure if would call him my friend but he was cool w/ me. No thanks. I prefer Cambo.. Maybe you can follow him there? you seem to know more about him then i do ..
Nothing wrong w/ being witty but you sound like an asshole

thank you and take care!
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Dumbinic wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:04 am
RickyBobby wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:14 am Wow, I just logged onto this thread to speak to this very idea.

I think some people come here to die. This could be added to my recent list I made on the Psychopaths thread. How about the people who come here and think, I may as well as live for the moment, throw caution to the wind, stop planning for retirement, and live while the money lasts. Then go for the rope. So that's a good possibility that the higher numbers of death are related to such an idea.
Maybe it is a case of 'the grass is always greener' as every single se asian girlfriend I have had were super keen on all things western and quite eager to get their pretty little butts over to 'the west' - which was possibly why they were with me in the first place :? :facepalm: I would say to them "you dont know what you have here, you would hate living in my country" and they would say "no, you don't know what you have there and you will hate living in my country." Maybe we were both right. Nowhere has everything, that's for sure.

But after you have tasted freedom, which I think many parts of se asia did offer (particularly for western men), the thought of growing old and lonely in the sterile, culturally dead 'west' is an awful prospect. Particularly if, in my case, you are in severe debilitating pain that prevents employment yet some years away from retirement with no prognosis of ever fully recovering along with being stone cold broke with no kids relying upon you.

Put a fork in me. I'm done.

I may not die happy but at least I will die some place I was happy.

Good times.

p.s. I don't think I am psychopath but I do have some type of personality disorder, that's for sure. 'Irresponsible Cunt' comes to mind but I don't think that is in The DSM (The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders). Shizoid with Oppositional Defiant Disorder and some sociopathic tendencies? Fuck knows. Mental Health/Psychiatry is a crock of shit.
On the subject of asian women wanting to go to the west I think there was a survey a few years ago and 50% of thai women come home inside 2 years and /or have pschological problems due to the massive change in climate and culture.
on the other hand my friend's khmer girlfriend is in her first year in europe. She alternated between hating the cold, to loving snow, and the cold weather gives her the excuse she needs to wear her thigh length cavalier boots, which she couldn't do hear. Plus she gets 4 lots of clother, winter, spring, summer and autumn. the thing she complains about most is lack of mangos. Where she is they get them from egypt and I cannot tell the diffeence apart from colour but she can. Other than that she is quite happy eating steak and lamb. very annoying for the locals though cos she still hasnt put on any weight!
Khartoum
Expatriate
Sudan

Post by Khartoum »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:19 pm addiction vs pain??
i'd take addiction
Opium would be my choice
DrRawBlueGreen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DrRawBlueGreen »

For pain of any kind, physical or mental, try microdosing psychoactive substances.

https://thethirdwave.co/microdosing/
Read through the matter and choose the substance/ method that fits your circumstances.

Also fasting after the Buchinger method can reduce pain and is pretty safe compared to water fasting. There is the original buchinger clinic, I think in Bavaria. But there also cheaper options of other clinics who have adopted the buchinger method.
Just don’t give up. Search there is always a way, even if everyone says otherwise.
“If the world was a girl, I’d stick my d..k in the ground. F..k the World.”

“Borders do not make us safe rather they keep us as slaves”
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic