British man WILLIAM JULIAN MAGEE Found Dead in Phnom Penh Room

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

British man WILLIAM JULIAN MAGEE Found Dead in Phnom Penh Room

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh, Cambodia News: A British national, WILLIAM JULIAN MAGEE, aged 30, was discovered to have passed away in Room 18 of the Boeung Chhou Guesthouse in the Sen Sok district of Phnom Penh. His body was discovered at 9:00 PM, on November 27, 2018, and the police were notified immediately.
After examination, the authorities have concluded that the British man died of a heart attack. His body was taken to Wat Steung Meanchey pagoda, waiting to be claimed by the embassy or relatives.
RIP and condolences to those who knew him.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: British man WILLIAM JULIAN MAGEE Found Dead in Phnom Penh Room

Post by frank lee bent »

Condolences to family
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

30 so young. What was he doing staying in a guest house on that side on town. I know that area and it's very unusual to see a foreigner in a guest house there.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

R.I.P.
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

There is a GoFundMe appeal to get William back to the UK and pay for his funeral.

They have already raised more than 5,000 pounds and need about another 7,000.

Get William Home

William Magee unexpectedly passed away at the age of 30 this month traveling overseas, he was an incredible person, loved by all those he came in contact with, the life of the party, an entrepreneur and very much a free spirit. He will be missed deeply by all his family and friends

This loss has left a hole in all our hearts and due the the his unexpected death overseas our family are in need of assistance. There are quite a few hoops we now need to jump through, in addition we will need to raise approximately £6700 just to get William back to the UK, we then need to raise a further £6000 to cover the funeral expenses.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, our number one priority is to get him home as soon as possible so that we may say our goodbyes and give him the send off he deserves.

Once we have the resources to arrange this we will share the details so that those who wish to can pay their respects.
https://www.gofundme.com/get-willam-hom ... 3o_FfSQBK8

Appeal to bring home body of Colne man who died in Cambodia aged 30

Tributes are pouring in for an "incredible" Colne man who died of a heart attack in Cambodia aged just 30.

William Magee, a former pupil of Fishermore RC High School, died on Tuesday evening in the Boeung Chhouk Guesthouse in south Cambodia, according to a local English language website.
The advertising account executive had been travelling around Thailand for the past two years teaching students.

William's untimely death has stunned and shocked the close-knit community of Colne, where he was born and brought up. His family are devastated to hear of his death and have launched a major fundraising campaign to raise £12,000 to bring him home and give him the send off he deserves.

His sister, Lauren Magee (25), paid tribute to an "incredible person". She said: "Everybody who loved and knew Will is naturally absolutely devastated by what’s happened. It’s come as huge shock and no words can really describe how we are feeling. Will’s loss has left a huge hole in all of our hearts.

"He was an incredible person, loved by all those he came in contact with, the life of the party, an entrepreneur and very much a free spirit."

Appealing for donations to bring Will home, she said: "We wanted to set up the campaign to help get Will home as quickly as possible, it’s heart-breaking to not have him here at home with us and that’s our main focus now to get him home.

The page has only been live for a day and already people have been so generous and kind. That’s really helped our family by giving a positive focus to a very difficult time for us all.

“All the help and all of the kind and caring words people have put forward is really helping to lift the family by knowing he is very much loved and cared about.
"There are quite a few hoops we now need to jump through, in addition we will need to raise approximately £6,700 just to get William back to the UK. We then need to raise a further £6,000 to cover the funeral expenses.

"Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, our number one priority is to get him home as soon as possible so that we may say our goodbyes and give him the send off he deserves.

"Once we have the resources to arrange this, we will share the details so that those who wish to can pay their respects.
"He will be missed deeply by all his family and friends."

Before his travels abroad, it is believed William worked in various places including English Country Cottages, Colne, Fifty2one Ltd in Clitheroe and RS Digital Ltd in Nelson.
The gofundme page has already received over £5,000 in less than 24 hours.
https://www.gofundme.com/get-willam-hom ... 3o_FfSQBK8
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

RIP
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

No disrespect meant but I really don't get the point of these Gofundmes to repatriate bodies. It's not just because I'm not religious, I just think it's a waste of resources, especially if you can't actually afford it and have to crowdfund it. Cremated remains can be sent through the post, while actual cadavers are bio hazardous and cost a whole lot to freight. Maybe I'm just a bit too pragmatic but to me a person is a very different thing than just the body they may have recently departed from. It must be very sad for his relations but a cremation is the usual way to go here.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

If one of my family dies, we will just pay for it. Must be rough going in the uk right now, sad.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

mcam wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:33 pm 30 so young. What was he doing staying in a guest house on that side on town. I know that area and it's very unusual to see a foreigner in a guest house there.
If he were traveling maybe he wanted to stay closer to the airport? Arrived that day? Going tomorrow? Bought some unknown powder and went to a close guesthouse? Heard a story about a guy before who did that. Came back here and died on first day when he got some bad stuff from the tuk-tuk driver.

Hard to tell without knowing. And we probably wont know. Its always a heartattack.

The typical "i dont need insurance" and now he let the family beg for money to bring him home. I would donate on the term that insurance-companies can use his case for commercials to make people think a little but longer and get insurance if they have a family that will want their body home if they die.

Sad for the family ofc but thats how it is.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

I agree that it would be a lot better for them to have his body cremated. I also agree that the family needs to pay for this themselves. I am surprised that strangers are willing to help with this. Its like when someone's house burns and they didn't have insurance. All the responsible people that do, have to still reach in and help.

RIP to William, 30 is crazy young to die.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic