Regional Gemstone Jewelry

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Regional Gemstone Jewelry

Post by frank lee bent »

or just let David Hindley do it for you- it will result in a cheaper price and a solid guarantee.
Lots of Hmong Shu ruby is glass filled- which is likely what you will get in Pailin.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

You wont find any good quaility gems in pailin. In fact, except for small bits it was mined out in the early 90's. Same goes for chan. I ran a few mines in BoRai in the late 80's. And we used to travel into cambodia till around 89 when all the thais moved to Mae Sot.
Like i said, if u Dont know precious gems be very carefull buying in cambodia.
Chan is good if u know what ur buying. But nowhere as good as Mae Sot
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

frank lee bent wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:51 pm haha, I know both of those guys. one is a sometime poster here.
yes, Chan is one of the better places in the world to buy stones, and lots of gem labs there too to make sure you do not get ripped.
But even so, if you don't know too much its easy to be out of ones depth. I did know of some western guys who were buying there but used and paid Thai gem dealers to buy for them, then the guys sold the stones in Singapore, the gem dealers did a good job because they knew the guys would use them again. I would go up to Bangkok like Richard mentioned being the novice and playing it safe, although many gems I had did come from Chantaburi market.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic