British Expat MICHAEL HYSLOP in Very Bad Condition on Roadside in Siem Reap

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: British Expat MICHAEL HYSLOP in Very Bad Condition on Roadside in Siem Reap

Post by IraHayes »

explorer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:13 am
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:05 am MY advice, if ur living anywhere outside ur own country, be self sufficient or come from a wealthy family.
A lot of people are not. Do you want to tell them all to leave Cambodia?
Are you referring to “self sufficient” or “wealthy”?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

explorer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:13 am
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:05 am MY advice, if ur living anywhere outside ur own country, be self sufficient or come from a wealthy family.
A lot of people are not. Do you want to tell them all to leave Cambodia?
Its not for me to tell Anyone to do Anything.
But its their problem if they are not prepared.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

PIEMAN wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:58 pm :stir: its very easy to tell whom is ill and who is not,i,m not saying the contributers are the only people to benifit from this fund,it,s people like Micheal who neede help,it will not be like a goverment fund just a helping hand for those in need,remenber the two down and out druggies one got hit with a tuck,the fund could have given them a room and a little cash for food.Then one might not have been hit with a truck. :facepalm:
When singlet senior was supposedly hit by a truck( there are several other versions of how he sustained the injuries) he was already being helped by several people. They are probably the worst possible people you could reference with regard to this sort of scheme. :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

You can only help people with the right attitude.

If you pay for a room for a homeless druggie a room, how is it going to end. Do you pay for the room for the rest of his life?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

:stir: this is typical of im alright jacks,if you don,t want to contribute don,t have a say.At this time of year i would have thought people would have a bit off sympathy.Many barangs turn up here with loads of cash,i did so did sinhlet senior,its easy to lose money here.i put it out there if you are intrested PM, if not no problem. :please:
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

We tried to help a guy here once.
Contributions from some were substantial.

It did not end well.

Lots of people here practise charity though.
PhnomRon
Expatriate

Post by PhnomRon »

Isn't it better to donate to needy Cambodians who have never had a fair shake in life rather than donate to people like Singlet Senior who moved to Cambodia from with loads of cash and then wasted it on drugs on liquor?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

explorer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:54 am
PIEMAN wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:28 pm set up a fund
How about starting with one person, or a small number of people. The next time somebody needs help, see what can be done to help them. See who will contribute money for that person. See who will put in time and effort.

This way some of the practical realities will become clear.

I think it would be easy to pay a Cambodian girl to take food to them, do their washing, or even take their washing to a laundry, etc. But you need the right type of Cambodian girl.

Dont start collecting money yet. Collect it for the individual(s). See if it works in reality.
If things go well, more people may want to get involved.

If it does not go well, you will see.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

PhnomRon wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:52 pm Isn't it better to donate to needy Cambodians who have never had a fair shake in life rather than donate to people like Singlet Senior who moved to Cambodia from with loads of cash and then wasted it on drugs on liquor?
You could do both.

You need to be selective who you try to help.

You can only help people who want to help themselves.

If you give to lazy Cambodians, it will probably make them more lazy.

If you give to alcoholics from foreign countries, they will probably just buy more alcohol.

I have mentioned before, I help Cambodian students from poor families get an education. Helping poor people get an education is very worthwhile.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

:beer3: how about the deformed khmer who never wanted to go under the knife,his deformaty was his pay check,some NGO finally got him under the knife,that went well :assasin:
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic