How to get a Visa ‘married to a Khmer citizen’

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: How to get a Visa ‘married to a Khmer citizen’

Post by fax »

davegorman wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:41 am Or get a passport for $60k.
You missed that train.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

fax wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:30 am
davegorman wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:41 am Or get a passport for $60k.
You missed that train.
Really?
I got offered that yesterday.

Sadly I don’t have $60k kicking around but if I did I’d be up for that.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Sir, would you like to buy a bridge?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@newkidontheblock have you received your "Authorisation To Marry" letter from the MoI and your official Marriage Certificate issued by the Sangkat?

Plenty of good advice offered already, as stated there is no "Marriage/spousal/family" Visa category, and there is no exception in any of the Immigration Prakas' and sub-decrees for those legally married to obtain any visa type...BUT, in practice it is available, if you do not work in Cambodia but are legally married then you can obtain a 12 month EB EOS without the need to have a WP, the EOS will be stamped "Employment not permitted".

You need to be legally married in Cambodia and be in possession of the official Marriage Certificate and Authorisation to Marry letter issued by the MoI, along with other documents as already mentioned.

You do NOT need to use an agent, although for ease Call Kim is highly recommended. You can apply directly at the DoI, and if you're switched on you will only pay $170 -180 for the 12 month EB EOS.

Note: If you work, or intend to work in Cambodia, you still need to apply for the EB EOS the regular way with an official letter of employment, and obtain a WP.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:08 am
Kammekor wrote:Is 'missus' (or her friends) an expert on visa for foreigners?

Are you still drunk?

Have you been blacklisted for violating Khmer culture?
With that response, I would assume that YOU are an expert on visas.

Otherwise, I am NOT an expert, and so I ask.

You assume I am drunk because I don’t know the answer to that question?

If your significant other tells you something, you never believe them? Sad.

Khmer culture means following YOUR every desires? Does that mean YOU have the power to blacklist people from Khmer culture?

Sorry, god for offending you.
Selective quotation NKOTB, but you're forgiven.

I just seriously doubted you contacted Lucky about this, and if that's the case you just did some scaremongering. While the visa doesn't officially exist it's been in use for ages, if you provide the documents thatis. That's what Lucky would have told you - because there's a piece of the pie for them if you arrange it through them.

And if my 'significant other' (or her friend) tells me something about the visa situation in Cambodia I don't believe that, that's correct. Hell, sometimes I find it even hard to believe the DoI because they might give me another answer the next day. I'd rather (double)check it myself. The DoI told me this visa can not be arranged through them directly because of lack of prakas, but PSDkiwi was told another story.

I'm rather surprised you got yourself into a marriage without fully knowing about your options to actually stay with your wife in Cambodia.

Anyway, good luck obtaining the visa. You can apply one month before your current ordinary visa or EOS is due, assuming you've got the right documents.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:34 am
SlowJoe wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:12 am I've been married to a Khmer for a decade, the only thing I've heard of is an exemption for a work permit and employment letter. I haven't gotten either exemption however but I haven't tried.
so are you living in KOW and if so, what visa? ER?
I live here in the Kingdom and am on yearly EB visas. I work online and have a self employed work permit.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Kim says can do. But will take 6 days. I’ll have to ask her again if she can get it in 4 days.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:05 am Kim says can do. But will take 6 days. I’ll have to ask her again if she can get it in 4 days.
Water Festival dude...nothing will happen until Monday at the earliest. Currently Visa EOS's are taking anywhere from 5 -21 days, although for an extra $100 you can get same or next day fast tracking.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic