Kep Crab Market Accused of Cheating Tourists

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Kep Crab Market Accused of Cheating Tourists

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Crab vendors told to stop cheating
November 15, 2018
Police in Kep province on Tuesday warned vendors at the popular crab market to refrain from using rigged scales when it comes to selling goods to tourists.

Visitors from outside of the province have complained on social media about crab vendors charging tourists a premium for crabs.

Provincial police chief Major General Pen Dara said the complaints came from national and international tourists who said that the scales used to weigh crabs at the popular market were rigged.

Maj Gen Dara said the complaints led police to inspect all scales being used at the market. He added that police officers warned vendors to stop cheating people who did not hail from the province.

Maj Gen Dara noted that any vendor who failed to comply could face closure.

“When they use fraudulent scales, it discourages customers from returning to the market,” he said. “There have been many complaints from tourists and we told the vendors to stop.”Som Chenda, director of the province’s tourism department, yesterday said that if the vendors continue to cheat customers, then the customers will stop coming.

“We have a standard for what kind of scales are put in place at the market, but some vendors rig the scales, affecting the feelings of tourists,” Mr Chenda said.

So Pheavy, a tourist, said that the market is a popular tourist destination.

However, Ms Pheavy said that she became sceptical ever since she had one bad experience.

“The crab market is a popular market for fresh crab in Kep. I always go there when I visit the province,” she said. “But one time, I bought three kilograms of crabs, but when I weighed it, the crabs only came up to about two kilograms.”
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50550645/c ... -cheating/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Kep Crab Market Accused of Cheating Tourists

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I always get a chuckle by producing a 1 litre bottle of water to weigh from my day pack when I suspect the scale scam is going a bit too far. The presentation of the water and the request to weigh it invariably evokes howls of indignation, offense and protest. It's hilarious.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Locals call it Crap market for cause
jw85
Expatriate
Austria

Post by jw85 »

cheating? impossible mon frere
KickingWithRedLabel
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by KickingWithRedLabel »

In Beijing I went to a outdoor market with an Indonesian. At each place she shopped she brought out her little weight to check the scale before letting them weigh her food.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Yes when I went there i asked about the prices and bought ready baked fish indoors instead.

I thought bloody hell those crabs are a rip off and knew the locals paid a lot less than the prices they tried to charge. But it was obvious.

Incidentally what is the current price of the kilo?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:11 pm Yes when I went there i asked about the prices and bought ready baked fish indoors instead.

I thought bloody hell those crabs are a rip off and knew the locals paid a lot less than the prices they tried to charge. But it was obvious.

Incidentally what is the current price of the kilo?
in august $8/kilo they were small but very sweet
Last edited by phuketrichard on Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

$8.50 or so
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:11 pm Crab vendors told to stop cheating
November 15, 2018
Police in Kep province on Tuesday warned vendors at the popular crab market to refrain from using rigged scales when it comes to selling goods to tourists.

Visitors from outside of the province have complained on social media about crab vendors charging tourists a premium for crabs.

Provincial police chief Major General Pen Dara said the complaints came from national and international tourists who said that the scales used to weigh crabs at the popular market were rigged.

Maj Gen Dara said the complaints led police to inspect all scales being used at the market. He added that police officers warned vendors to stop cheating people who did not hail from the province.

Maj Gen Dara noted that any vendor who failed to comply could face closure.

“When they use fraudulent scales, it discourages customers from returning to the market,” he said. “There have been many complaints from tourists and we told the vendors to stop.”Som Chenda, director of the province’s tourism department, yesterday said that if the vendors continue to cheat customers, then the customers will stop coming.

“We have a standard for what kind of scales are put in place at the market, but some vendors rig the scales, affecting the feelings of tourists,” Mr Chenda said.

So Pheavy, a tourist, said that the market is a popular tourist destination.

However, Ms Pheavy said that she became sceptical ever since she had one bad experience.

“The crab market is a popular market for fresh crab in Kep. I always go there when I visit the province,” she said. “But one time, I bought three kilograms of crabs, but when I weighed it, the crabs only came up to about two kilograms.”
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50550645/crab-vendors-told-to-stop-cheating/
if they stop cheating there will only be prices increases .
Kampoochie
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampoochie »

It's sort of heartening to think of this as a scandal in Cambodia. It seems a bit Mayberry.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic