Thai Junta and Thaksin-Backed Populists Face Off Before 2019 Poll

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thai Junta and Thaksin-Backed Populists Face Off Before 2019 Poll

Post by sigmoid »

Although the whole show is rather Shakespearean and somewhat reminiscent of a certain neighbouring country a number of decades ago, the outcomes of this election won't particularly matter. Ultimately, it will just be another stage in Thailand's slow but steady decline.

Also, according to Andrew MacGregor Marshall: "BREAKING—Thailand's King Vajiralongkorn has just announced that his sister Ubolratana is not allowed to be a candidate for prime minister."

Story just out now:
KING SAYS PRINCESS ‘CANNOT’ RUN FOR OFFICE
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2019 ... violation/
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

davegorman wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:07 am
pczz wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:42 am More chance of a civil war in th euk over brexit than a civil war in thailand. Who controls the army controls the country, but uk is fast slipping towards anarchy with an incompetent government and a soineless opposition, whichever side of the debate you are on. i think the general should come to the Uk and bang a few political heads together
That’s not the British way.
France will have a civil war way before the UK. We are the kings of protests and civil uprisings.

Vive La France!
J'aimerais vivre en france mais je n'ai pas assez d'argent jusqu'à ma retraite dans 5 ans. le brexit est 5 ans trop tôt. si vous voulez envahir Hastings comme 1066 et restaurer la démocratie, je me ferai un plaisir de vous rejoindre
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

So that seems to dispel the notion that the top man was behind this move to help out Thaksin. Now he has hands on the purse strings he could pay back Thaksin what he owes which will be chump change to him now. Since no-one is allowed to comment on the finances of the family household I doubt anyone would be any the wiser. Whatever the motivations of the Princess I see this as a very dark day for Thailand, I'm sure the populace could have delivered a clear no to the military at the ballot box regardless of whether there was Royal involvement, this move just seems to create another layer of dangerous friction.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:15 am So that seems to dispel the notion that the top man was behind this move to help out Thaksin. Now he has hands on the purse strings he could pay back Thaksin what he owes which will be chump change to him now. Since no-one is allowed to comment on the finances of the family household I doubt anyone would be any the wiser. Whatever the motivations of the Princess I see this as a very dark day for Thailand, I'm sure the populace could have delivered a clear no to the military at the ballot box regardless of whether there was Royal involvement, this move just seems to create another layer of dangerous friction.
Alternatively the presence of a royal in politics may be a healing thing. Its one thing for the 2 opposing parties to behave badly to each other, but its entirely different when a Thai Royal is involved, even if she has given up her rights. I cannot imagine the army would take part in a coupe against a Royal, and I cannot imagine a Royal would resort to low tactics. So maybe there is a t least teh prospect of a fair playing field at least between the Princess and the General. Whether anyone else would consider running in those circumstances is a different debate
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I hope this doesn't give Prince Charles any ideas.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

just gets weirder and weirder.
The king of Thailand has denounced his sister after she announced an unprecedented bid to become prime minister.

A run by Ubolratana Rajakanya Sirivadhana Barnavadi, who renounced her royal title and privileges when she married an American in the 1970s, would pose an unexpected challenge to the military junta that has ruled Thailand since a coup nearly five years ago.

Ubolratana announced on Thursday she would represent a party associated with the exiled telecoms tycoon and former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, in a move so bold that analysts said it must have been approved by her brother King Vajiralongkorn.

But hours later the king made a televised statement suggesting he had been caught by surprise. “Involvement of a high-ranking member of the royal family in politics, in whatever way, is an act that conflicts with the country’s traditions, customs and culture and therefore is considered extremely inappropriate,” he said.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... V7py2KKKPI

Looks like its back to Mr T finding someone else to run against the general
.... cannot imagine the army would take part in a coupe against a Royal,
correct, don't know what i was thinking as most coup's have the tacit approval of the king
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

well thats the end of that
no way will the election committee allow her to run now

His Majesty the King issued a statement on Friday night prohibiting his older sister Princess Ubolratana Rajakanya Sirivadhana Barnavadi from entering politics after she decided to accept a pro-Thaksin Shinawatra party’s invitation to run as its PM candidate.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30363805
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic