Jobs, Jobs and more Jobs

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Jobs, Jobs and more Jobs

Post by Duncan »

I have noticed as I walk around PP that there are so many businesses, factories, hotels and bars, all advertising for staff. A quick look on the internet also shows
hundreds of jobs advertised and yet tens of thousand of Cambodians go overseas to Malaysia and Thailand and Cambodia and even wanting it's workers to go to Arab countries. I always thought that when there was a shortage of workers, salaries ended up going up, as some businesses poached the workers off other businesses by offering higher wages, and offered their own good workers higher wages just to keep them. I guess I'm wrong, as this does not appear to be the case here in Cambodia.

What's your thinking on the subject.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Jobs, Jobs and more Jobs

Post by Username Taken »

They can earn more working elsewhere.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

They hire people before the busy season. It is not the same all year round.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Isn't it desperation driven? I mean, for example, a worker out here on $150 for a 30 day month....
Food's gotta be costing $2 / day. One might save $90 / month. With no fun or accidents. Hard to get ahead.
At the other end, people only get poached if they are, in fact, capable. A rarity here.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Barang chgout wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:01 pm Isn't it desperation driven? I mean, for example, a worker out here on $150 for a 30 day month....
Food's gotta be costing $2 / day. One might save $90 / month. With no fun or accidents. Hard to get ahead.
At the other end, people only get poached if they are, in fact, capable. A rarity here.

If that was the case, how come everyone has new model motobikes , smartphones and can eat at Pizza Hut.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Duncan wrote:
Barang chgout wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:01 pm Isn't it desperation driven? I mean, for example, a worker out here on $150 for a 30 day month....

If that was the case, how come everyone has new model motobikes , smartphones and can eat at Pizza Hut.
Do they? Can they?
I guess we move in different circles.
Even I dont have a new phone or moto.

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Duncan wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:32 pmIf that was the case, how come everyone has new model motobikes , smartphones and can eat at Pizza Hut.
Borrowed money. Pawnshops and microloans are doing a booming business. Cambodia is one of the most indebted people in SEA. And what do a lot of locals spend their borrowed money on? New motorbikes, smartphones, and Pizza Hut.

Unfortunately lots of short term thinkers. ‘Now’ is the operative word. Saving and planning are in low supply.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Anyone of you happen to come across any opening for screw salesman please let me know. Thank you.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

:beer3: Cambodians who work abroad make mega money,nearly as much as the best hookers on 136st,my mates brother in law goes to scandanivia every year planting trees for 4 months comes back every yr with 10k :please:
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic