Safety in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Safety in Cambodia

Post by phuketrichard »

Something came up the other day, Asked my long time Khmer gf if she thought we could build this house on our land in kep,

She said no way, if we wanted to be safe-would need bars on windows/walls/dogs. ;-(

My house here has no walls, large wooden framed doors and windows and yet feel 100% safe

So to all those living in the countryside, how do you feel about the house your living in?
Do you have bars, walls etc etc
do you feel safe leaving ur house for the day, 2 days etc.

Just asking
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
KickingWithRedLabel
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Safety in Cambodia

Post by KickingWithRedLabel »

Is she a city or country girl? That might influence her thoughts on the subject.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hmmmm, early years svay rieng, later years Poi Pet, Kep, Phnom Pehn
past 8 years here in Phuket .....but we go back every year and all her family is spread out in Kep, Poi Pet, PP
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

There are definitely houses like this in the countryside - but you'd likely want to be a relative of somebody of some standing in the village, etc.

I'd do this near my uncle's land in Oudong no trouble, he's the commune chief there, but just to build it somewhere I didn't know anyone, probably not. Also would depend heavily on what you put inside it - anything worth stealing & the house is just standing empty, an obvious no-no.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i know there houses like this as have seen many without bars/walls BUT i doubt there are Barangs living in them,
Once its known that it is a barang/farang house, they know there is something worth breaking in for.

I dont want build a house and put walls/bars just to pretend i am safe...
Like trump thinking building a wall will keep anyone out LOL
Old8404
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Old8404 »

Same question... We (Khmer wife and I) getting ready to start building in village half hour north of Svay Rieng. Dirt road village. Thinking of glass walls. Thinking maybe hinged security grid - swing up to nest under awning and then swing down and lock in place if gone for extended time. Compromise with wife who thinks we need bars - but does not want them either. 14 foot awnings all around

Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Guess it depends where you are. We got no walls, no locks, 1 dog. We dont go anywhere much but being a small, remote town, if there was any problem, it would be easy enough to find the culprit.
Seems like all the honest thieves are afraid of the barang, his dog and his white man magic.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

You must have local theives for neighbors. Villagers say that thieves never steal from their neighbors, only those that don’t know them.

Just kidding, of course.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:57 am
She said no way, if we wanted to be safe-would need bars on windows/walls/dogs. ;-(

My house here has no walls, large wooden framed doors and windows and yet feel 100% safe
Cambodia 0
Thailand 1 million.
:?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:57 am
My house here has no walls, large wooden framed doors and windows

Why do you need doors if there aren't any walls?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic