Traveling on a Cambodian passport

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Traveling on a Cambodian passport

Post by newkidontheblock »

Just on the way to Temple Town after touching down in Phnom Penh. Had lunch in the restaurant in the domestic terminal. As I was getting up noticed a foreigner across from me. He was using a Cambodian Passport. My first thought was bravo to him to learn Khmer and pass the exam and qualifications to be a Cambodia citizen. But then a second question entered my mind.

What advantages does a Cambodian passport have over a Western passport?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Traveling on a Cambodian passport

Post by Kammekor »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:57 pm Just on the way to Temple Town after touching down in Phnom Penh. Had lunch in the restaurant in the domestic terminal. As I was getting up noticed a foreigner across from me. He was using a Cambodian Passport. My first thought was bravo to him to learn Khmer and pass the exam and qualifications to be a Cambodia citizen. But then a second question entered my mind.

What advantages does a Cambodian passport have over a Western passport?
Airport tax in Cambodia will be partly refunded.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

You don't need a visa and you can buy land in your own name

Sent from my HUAWEI P9 lite using Tapatalk

Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

You pay also less tax on your saving interest, a Cambodian pays 4%, a foreigner pays 14%.
But when you are a frequent traveller, it can be a dis-advance, with a Cambodian passport you must apply in many country's for a visa. See:https://www.passportindex.org/byRank.php
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Could it have been his wife's /girlfriend's /child's passport?

Very few advantages for travel besides visa exemptions in ASEAN. I guess it also might be less of a hassle to replace it if you don't have an embassy here.

The citenship advantages are a different story. File under 'questions I should have asked at the time'.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Sidewalker wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:32 pm You pay also less tax on your saving interest, a Cambodian pays 4%, a foreigner pays 14%.
But when you are a frequent traveller, it can be a dis-advance, with a Cambodian passport you must apply in many country's for a visa. See:https://www.passportindex.org/byRank.php
That rate is resident/non-resident
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Sidewalker wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:32 pm You pay also less tax on your saving interest, a Cambodian pays 4%, a foreigner pays 14%.
Just a side line question, how would they tax a joint account. Foreigner / Cambodian
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

I don't know.
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Duncan wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:08 am
Just a side line question, how would they tax a joint account. Foreigner / Cambodian
Resident
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

cautious colin wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:34 pm
That rate is resident/non-resident
As long as you’ve been here for more than 6 months you’re a resident and pay the 6% tax. 12% for non residents.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic