Cambodia to Boost Clean Energy Use — But Coal Plants Planned Too

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia to Boost Clean Energy Use — But Coal Plants Planned Too

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:54 am Wind power project deal expected this year
Thou Vireak | Publication date 02 March 2020 | 23:08 ICT
The government expects to sign an agreement with French-owned Blue Circle to develop a wind farm project within the first half of the year, the director-general of the Ministry of Mines and Energy’s General Department of Energy Victor Jona said on Monday.

Jona told The Post that state-run electricity supplier Electricite du Cambodge (EdC) was in negotiations with the firm and both sides plan to sign an agreement soon.

“I am optimistic they will reach an agreement within the first half of the year,” he said.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... ected-year
UPDATE

Wind Energy Expected to Light Up Soon
AKP Phnom Penh, June 05, 2020 --

Energy generated from commercial wind turbine in Cambodia is expected to become a reality soon, as power firm and electricity authority are in talks to finalise the power purchase agreement.

Singapore-based The Blue Circle has conducted talks over the price tariff with Electricité du Cambodge (EDC) on the power purchase agreement and the deal is expected to come to an end in the second half of this year.

H.E. Victor Jona, Director General of Energy at the Ministry of Mines and Energy, told AKP on Thursday that the talks have been conducted for a year to find out the agreed tariff of power sold from the wind turbine to the EDC.

“The talks lasted for a year already and we hope that the two sides will reach the deal before the end of this year,” H.E. Victor Jona said, adding that the tariff price of power generated from wind turbine is expected at as low as US$0.07 per kWh.

The Blue Circle, the leading renewable energy company of Southeast Asia, was granted licence from the Ministry of Mines and Energy to conduct feasibility studies on renewable energy generated from wind in Cambodia, especially in Kampot province, where the company chose to invest on wind turbine in its first step of investment in the Kingdom.

According to H.E. Victor Jona, once the deal done, construction of wind turbine field on the top of Bokor mountain in Kampot province, composed of 10 wind turbines with production capacity of 80-megawatt per year will be started.
- AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

:thumb:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

UPDATE on this below:
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:40 am The new solar power units are in the news, but the number of coal-fired power constructions in Cambodia are increasing, backed by Chinese money. Many of them are located in Preah Sihanouk province, where the demand for electricity has developed dramatically over the past two years in line with Chinese investments in the province

December 19, 2019
Coal-fired power plant breaks ground

Construction of two 350-megawatt coal-fired power units broke ground yesterday. The power generated is scheduled to be linked to the national grid in 2022.

CIIDC Erdos Hongjun Electric Power invested about $1.2 billion in the plant in Preah Sihanouk province’s Stung Hav district.

It is a joint venture between CIIDG Erdos Hongjun Electric Power and local firm Cambodia International Investment Development Group Co Ltd.

As planned, a 350-MW coal-fired power plant will start to generate power to the national grid in 2022. The other is scheduled to go online in 2023, said Victor Jona, director-general of energy at the Ministry of Mines and Energy.

The investment followed marathon talks over prices of power from the plant to Cambodia’s Electricity Authority (EDC), Mr Jona said.

“The investment is important in generating power to the grid because the government wants to increase the power generated from all sources,” Mr Jona said.

The agreed price of power sold to the EDC is $0.0743 per kilowatt-hour, according to Mr Jona.

CIIDG Erdos Hongjun Electric Power operates three 135-MW coal-fired power plants in Preah Sihanouk province, generating power to the grid of 405 MW.

According to Mr Jona, Royal Group, Cambodia’s largest conglomerate, was granted permission to conduct a feasibility study on a 700-MW coal-fired power plant in Preah Sihanouk province.

Cambodia currently produces 505 MW from two coal-fired power plants.

100 MW comes from CEL I while the rest is generated by CIIDG Erdos Hongjun Electric Power, which has three 135-MW coal-fired generating units in Preah Sihanouk.

Han Seng Coal Mine is now building a 200-MW coal-fired plant in Oddar Meanchey province.

The 135-MW coal-fired power plant, called CEL II, is scheduled to go online this month.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50671475/c ... ks-ground/
700-MW Coal-fired Power Plant to Generate Power in 2022
AKP Phnom Penh, June 30, 2020 --
Coal-fired power plant of two-350-MW units located in Preah Sihanouk province’s Stung Hav district will generate power to the grid in 2022 as the company is accelerating the construction process.

The power plant is a joint investment between CIIDC Erdos Hongjun Electric Power and China Huadian Hong Kong Co., Ltd. with a total investment capital of US$1.2 billion.

The update on construction process was shared by the company’s representatives during a meeting with Mr. Chhin Sengnguon, Deputy Governor of Preah Sihanouk province in Sihanoukville yesterday.

Mr. Victor Jona, Director General of Energy at the Ministry of Mines and Energy, told AKP on June 30 that the power generated from the under-construction power plant will contribute to the grid for people’s consumption and investment.

“As planned, the first unit of 350-MW will generate power in 2022 and the second in 2023,” H.E. Victor Jona said.

The construction of the coal-fired power plant began in late 2019.

By Lim Nary
AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I always thought coal fired power stations were built near a good supply of coal, so where is all the coal coming from to supply this power station ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Duncan wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:50 am I always thought coal fired power stations were built near a good supply of coal, so where is all the coal coming from to supply this power station ?
I'd say there's a fair chance it might come from our country of origin or, I understand Indonesia is a big exporter nowadays but it's lower quality stuff that's more polluting apparently. Handy port nearby as part of SEZ.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Duncan wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:50 am I always thought coal fired power stations were built near a good supply of coal, so where is all the coal coming from to supply this power station ?
That is the ideal situation, Dunc. But sometimes there just is not a sufficient supply of coal where the power is needed.
I think Clutch is right - they will probably use cheap low qual Indonesian thermal coal here.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:18 am
That is the ideal situation, Dunc. But sometimes there just is not a sufficient supply of coal where the power is needed.
I think Clutch is right - they will probably use cheap low qual Indonesian thermal coal here.
Cheap(ish) and polluting Indonesian coal from most likely Chinese-owned mines.
Hopefully they're planning on building an ash processing plant that's up to international standards instead of getting a refurbished one from China...
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

The steel works planned for coast here is a referbushed old style one - of the kind China wants to move offshore because of pollution.
So you might be right in your fears arbout the ash plant, Queef.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

China is quietly but surely selling its old equipment to Cambodia... I feel bad for the people living nearby shody Chinese infrastructure.

On a different note, I'd like to know more about the ADB-backed project for a 100mw solar farm in kampong chhnang. The project was attributed to a company almost a year ago and it has been awfully quiet ever since.

A friend of mine told me that the RGC passed a regulation earlier this year to prevent developers from providing rooftop solar solutions to manufacturing plants.

It'd be nice if Cambodia would look at Vietnam and learn from them. It'd be so nice
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Feasibility Study on Waste-to-Energy Plant in Siem Reap Province Proposed
AKP Phnom Penh, July 22, 2020 --

A feasibility study on waste-to-energy plant has been proposed to be conducted in Siem Reap province, aiming to convert waste to energy and keep the city clean.

Proposed by the China’s MIZUDA firm, the 12-megawatt waste-to-energy plant needs at least 210,000 tonnes of waste a year to generate power about 750,000 kWh.

The project was presented in a meeting held on July 21 by a delegation of MIZUDA to Siem Reap provincial leaders.

According to the delegation, the company has concluded a survey in late 2019 showing that Siem Reap province currently produces 480 tonnes of waste per day, and the waste is estimated to increase to 600 tonnes in 2022, and to 1,000 tonnes by 2035.

H.E. Tea Seiha, Governor of Siem Reap province, welcomed the project, stressing that it will contribute to protecting the environment and supplying about 10 percent of the province’s total power consumption.
- AKP

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic