Conflict Between Villagers and Conservation NGO 'Wild Alliance'

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Conflict Between Villagers and Conservation NGO 'Wild Alliance'

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Koh Kong province, Cambodia News: On the morning on 7 November 2018, many local families gathered at the Head Office of Wildlife Alliance (WILD AlIANCE), located in Trapeang Rong commune, Koh Kong province, to protest the actions of the NGO, and violence broke out when a car was burnt.
The situation came to a head on 6 November when Wild Alliance officers came to destroy crops and coconut, banana and cashew trees that the villagers had planted in the conservation area managed by the NGO.
Villagers said that they had gathered to demand the Wildlife Alliance officials to explain the situation to them. They say that their protests have gone unheard by the NGO, who has not delegated someone to meet with them and listen to their griefs. They are unhappy with the NGO's heavy-handed tactics and they are frustrated by the lack of communication. This lead to a regrettable outburst of violence.
Meanwhile, Sok Sothy, the deputy governor of Koh Kong province, has stepped in with senior officials to mediate between the two opposing parties. He said that only a legal solution can resolve the problem and that violence is not the answer.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: Conflict Between Villagers and Conservation NGO 'Wild Alliance'

Post by Barang chgout »

Yeah well, wild alliance do rather act like cowboys. Especially their white gods like I.d. .. I blame Suwanna and her jumped up little rich girl shit.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Pretty simple, don't keep encroaching on the woods... I doubt they hadn't been told.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 135 »

Villagers get plenty of warnings. If they chose to keep infringing on protected land after those warnings then they deserve what's coming to them.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

135 wrote:Villagers get plenty of warnings. If they chose to keep infringing on protected land after those warnings then they deserve what's coming to them.
Yep, we told you to move off your land 5 times. We dont care where you go. That's your problem.
Plenty of warning.

Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 135 »

It’s not their land. It’s land they’ve just decided to occupy and grow crops on or put up a shack.
Tough.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

135 wrote:It’s not their land. It’s land they’ve just decided to occupy and grow crops on or put up a shack.
Tough.
Yeah, it's not their land..... shoot em all

Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 135 »

Who’s being shot? It’s dismantling of shacks and removal of crops.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Let them eat cake.

jw85
Expatriate
Austria

Post by jw85 »

135 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:41 am It’s not their land. It’s land they’ve just decided to occupy and grow crops on or put up a shack.
Tough.
do you have proof of this? and that the ngo never appropriated any of their land? just asking
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic