Sihanoukville...Increasingly dangerous or a Chinese paradise

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything, whether it relates to Cambodia or not. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:34 am
Reputation: 22
Great Britain

Re: Sihanoukville...Increasingly dangerous or a Chinese paradise

Post by JUDGEDREDD » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:57 am

What kind of effect will this have on Koh Rong? I want to set up base there for a month or two very soon
LaudJohn
Expatriate
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 8:08 am
Reputation: 67

Re: Sihanoukville...Increasingly dangerous or a Chinese paradise

Post by LaudJohn » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:12 pm

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:43 am
LaudJohn wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:11 am
You will not find a room for even $20 per night.

Most of the beachfront bars are gone.

Raw sewage covers some road, which now have little tarmac and dust is everywhere.

The change in 18 months has been incredible.
yeah im going to drive down next week, although seeing how much its changed since even Feb will probably depress me, it was depressing before but i already know of a lot of changes since then
You will not recognize the place.

No matter how prepared you think you are regarding the changes you will be incredulously amazed, blown away, disbelieving and saddened by what you see.

Enjoy your night there because you will not want a second one. Also book your room in advance.

See Roz for grief counselling afterwards, nestling your head between her voluminous (clad) breasts will make the anguish go away.
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 12797
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 1309
Location: Pig Penh
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Sihanoukville...Increasingly dangerous or a Chinese paradise

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:28 pm

LaudJohn wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:12 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:43 am
LaudJohn wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:11 am
You will not find a room for even $20 per night.

Most of the beachfront bars are gone.

Raw sewage covers some road, which now have little tarmac and dust is everywhere.

The change in 18 months has been incredible.
yeah im going to drive down next week, although seeing how much its changed since even Feb will probably depress me, it was depressing before but i already know of a lot of changes since then
You will not recognize the place.

No matter how prepared you think you are regarding the changes you will be incredulously amazed, blown away, disbelieving and saddened by what you see.

Enjoy your night there because you will not want a second one. Also book your room in advance.

See Roz for grief counselling afterwards, nestling your head between her voluminous (clad) breasts will make the anguish go away.
im preparing for the worst, although as long as theres still KTVs down KTVstreet and Phum Thmey then i can keep myself entertained for a couple of days
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
User avatar
Hotdigr
Expatriate
Posts: 1118
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 12:22 pm
Reputation: 130

Re: Sihanoukville...Increasingly dangerous or a Chinese paradise

Post by Hotdigr » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:42 pm

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:28 pm

im preparing for the worst, although as long as theres still KTVs down KTVstreet and Phum Thmey then i can keep myself entertained for a couple of days
LJ would be more up to date then me. But when I left at the beginning of April, KTV street was the biggest construction site in town. Starting down on the corner of Golden lions and going at least 1/2 way up the street, then through on a diagonal to (what used to be) the supermarket and kfc on Ekkereach. Most of the little KTV's on that side of the road had been knocked down. That was 7 months ago but. And I keep getting people coming up saying it has changed dramatically since then.
I think you are going to be bitterly disappointed mate and agree with LJ, after one night there you won't want to stay for 2. On a brighter note, still no sign of them here in Kampot (no matter what the rumour mongers say) and there are 6 new establishments of the type you enjoy around now :plus1: Look forward to seeing you for a beer :beer2:
User avatar
frank lee bent
Expatriate
Posts: 9612
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 4:10 am
Reputation: 1092
Australia

Re: Sihanoukville...Increasingly dangerous or a Chinese paradise

Post by frank lee bent » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:29 pm

My gf's family hate it. They have been there since the port was established before the KR era.
User avatar
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Posts: 2282
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:49 am
Reputation: 274
Location: Sihanoukville
Korea North

Re: Sihanoukville...Increasingly dangerous or a Chinese paradise

Post by cptrelentless » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:51 pm

JUDGEDREDD wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:57 am
What kind of effect will this have on Koh Rong? I want to set up base there for a month or two very soon
No effect. Where do you want to stay on KR?
User avatar
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:34 am
Reputation: 22
Great Britain

Re: Sihanoukville...Increasingly dangerous or a Chinese paradise

Post by JUDGEDREDD » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:22 pm

cptrelentless wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:51 pm
JUDGEDREDD wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:57 am
What kind of effect will this have on Koh Rong? I want to set up base there for a month or two very soon
No effect. Where do you want to stay on KR?
I haven't a clue tbh, if I can get a good price on a longstay rate somewhere I'll be happy. Do you know anyone or have any recommendations?

Ideally my own space would be best but I could handle a smaller form, cost obviously being the main factor!

If anyone has any tips or knows a guy that knows a guy etc then drop me a message!

Cheers all
Zhivago451
Expatriate
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:50 am
Reputation: 15
United States of America

Re: Sihanoukville...Increasingly dangerous or a Chinese paradise

Post by Zhivago451 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:18 pm

Clemen wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:55 am
Except for the fruit, nothing in that video exists anymore. The only reasons to come here are, you are Chinese and you want to gamble or or work in the building trade and its associated sub industries( gangs, drugs, Prostitution, etc) or you're Khmer and you want to carry bricks.
You can still find a little of the stuff in that video in Otres, but many of the guesthouses are for sale or closed and there is a huge building site there.
Thank you that is some great insight as to what it's like today. I appreciate the information. What about Siemp Reap? What is it like over there? Peaceful? Safe? Dangerous? I know it is a popular tourist destination because of the temples of Angkor Wat but aside from that would you live there?
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 4549
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 970
Yemen

Re: Sihanoukville...Increasingly dangerous or a Chinese paradise

Post by John Bingham » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:47 pm

Zhivago451 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:18 pm
Thank you that is some great insight as to what it's like today. I appreciate the information. What about Siem Reap? What is it like over there? Peaceful? Safe? Dangerous? I know it is a popular tourist destination because of the temples of Angkor Wat but aside from that would you live there?
Siem Reap weirds me out a bit as it has changed so much since I first visited there 18 years ago. It seemed like a sleepy village then.
I've been there a few times since, most recently earlier this year. Parts of it are really awful, the stretch along NR6 is just an endless stretch of big star hotels, construction sites and derelict failed hotels. The center of town around the river has some pleasant parts. The thing about Siem Reap is that it exists for one reason alone, tourism - people visit Siem Reap to see temples. There are of course people who work in services around the tourist industry, but the main focus is on satisfying short-term visitors - many of whom spend only a couple of days in town.
Other than that the province itself is one of the poorest in the kingdom so there are plenty of NGOs working there too.
Zhivago451
Expatriate
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:50 am
Reputation: 15
United States of America

Re: Sihanoukville...Increasingly dangerous or a Chinese paradise

Post by Zhivago451 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:27 am

John Bingham wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:47 pm
Zhivago451 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:18 pm
Thank you that is some great insight as to what it's like today. I appreciate the information. What about Siem Reap? What is it like over there? Peaceful? Safe? Dangerous? I know it is a popular tourist destination because of the temples of Angkor Wat but aside from that would you live there?
Siem Reap weirds me out a bit as it has changed so much since I first visited there 18 years ago. It seemed like a sleepy village then.
I've been there a few times since, most recently earlier this year. Parts of it are really awful, the stretch along NR6 is just an endless stretch of big star hotels, construction sites and derelict failed hotels. The center of town around the river has some pleasant parts. The thing about Siem Reap is that it exists for one reason alone, tourism - people visit Siem Reap to see temples. There are of course people who work in services around the tourist industry, but the main focus is on satisfying short-term visitors - many of whom spend only a couple of days in town.
Other than that the province itself is one of the poorest in the kingdom so there are plenty of NGOs working there too.
So then would you say the best place to work would be Phnom Penh then? It has all the good jobs? Because as relaxing as some of the beach like areas sound to chill at, ultimately I am going to Phnom Penh to work. I do not have a degree but I am working into getting one here in the future. Thinking of taking online classes while I work in Phnom Penh. As to what my job will be once I am there, I am sure there are many options. But I don't want to just go to Cambodia to sit around. Which is why I am looking for information on jobs and best job areas where a foreigner can work. If you have any advice I would appreciate it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arget, Bing [Bot], Cowshed Cowboy, PSD-Kiwi, willyhilly and 320 guests